• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM9 or MIUI v4? And, a little question for G60

SO

First off I would like to thank G60 and all the other DEV's for their amazing work and dedication. You guys are gods.

Second, I am wondering what would be a better choice of ROM? CM9 or MIUI? I have always been a MIUI fan, but I am wondering how the specs are. I flashed CM9 before work yesterday, and I must say I am AMAZED of how far this ROM has come. Smooth, no lag and few bugs. Just what I need. But I still feel MIUI calling me lol. If I remember, MIUI v4 ran sluggish, and was very buggy, not to mention a lot of my apps kept crashing on me. In comparison, are they basically at the same level as far as performance and compatibility go now? If so I shall move right on to it.

Lastly, this is a question more directed at G60. I would love to help in any way I can, and personally would like to start developing and start learning ADB and all that sweet stuff. I have dabbled in linux and partially understand it's language. I would be honored if the master of zen could teach a young grasshopper like me. lol.

Again, thank you all for your hard work!

Reactions: g60madman
SO

First off I would like to thank G60 and all the other DEV's for their amazing work and dedication. You guys are gods.

Second, I am wondering what would be a better choice of ROM? CM9 or MIUI? I have always been a MIUI fan, but I am wondering how the specs are. I flashed CM9 before work yesterday, and I must say I am AMAZED of how far this ROM has come. Smooth, no lag and few bugs. Just what I need. But I still feel MIUI calling me lol. If I remember, MIUI v4 ran sluggish, and was very buggy, not to mention a lot of my apps kept crashing on me. In comparison, are they basically at the same level as far as performance and compatibility go now? If so I shall move right on to it.

Lastly, this is a question more directed at G60. I would love to help in any way I can, and personally would like to start developing and start learning ADB and all that sweet stuff. I have dabbled in linux and partially understand it's language. I would be honored if the master of zen could teach a young grasshopper like me. lol.

I can get you started, like I got Ken2Chill started. And since he hasn't asked for any more help, I guess he's doing OK. Then after I get your feet wet, maybe someone else would take over. That's why I post in the forums, so we could learn together.

Oh, oh. Look at my "How to". Or one of the many others.Ken helped me to find some issues that I had.

Reactions: TheDarkside13
Upvote 0
SO

Setup your enviornment
http://code.google.com/p/mtdev-cm/wiki/EnvironmentSetup

Download and Build the Code
https://github.com/MTCM9/android/blob/ics/README.mkdn

Go forth and conquer grasshopper! And my finally wise words "If stuck, stop, google, learn" :D

Reactions: TheDarkside13
Upvote 0
CM9 is going to be better and a lot smoother than MIUI v.4 because as far as I know, MIUI v.4 hasn't been updated in a really long time. You said you've already tried it, so if it was buggy and stuff when you tried it then it still probably is. g60 took over the ROM in last November, I think.. but no work has been done on it. If you just look at the MIUI thread, you can see the updates. The devs have been working hard on getting the camera working for CM9. The original MIUI v.4 dev, Austrie, moved on to a different phone and I'm not sure if he is still dev-ing or not.

Personally, I'm sticking with MIUI 2.4. I like MIUI for it's ease in theming and customization. Whenever CM9 is full stable, I'm not 100% sure if I want to switch over from MIUI. I love MIUI so much.

Upvote 0
CM9 is going to be better and a lot smoother than MIUI v.4 because as far as I know, MIUI v.4 hasn't been updated in a really long time. You said you've already tried it, so if it was buggy and stuff when you tried it then it still probably is. g60 took over the ROM in last November, I think.. but no work has been done on it. If you just look at the MIUI thread, you can see the updates. The devs have been working hard on getting the camera working for CM9. The original MIUI v.4 dev, Austrie, moved on to a different phone and I'm not sure if he is still dev-ing or not.

Personally, I'm sticking with MIUI 2.4. I like MIUI for it's ease in theming and customization. Whenever CM9 is full stable, I'm not 100% sure if I want to switch over from MIUI. I love MIUI so much.

They actually just updated miui 4 a couple of days ago with the cm9 optimizations

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone! Sorry for the late reply, I have been kinda tied down heh. Looks like I'll have to do a triple-boot on my rugged machine...that's IF the power supply wont combust into flames by then >.< without my graphics card (due to an underpowered Power Supply starting to take a dump....wtf???) I'm not sure how much longer my core 2 dell on 1 gig of RAM will last...had a damn good card in it too. We shall see how this playes out. G60, which Linux distro would be best to run? I'm thinking of Ubuntu 10.04, or should I use a different one? I was also thinking about usung Fuduntu...lemme know! :D

EDIT: NVM just read the link 10.04 it is then. XD

EDIT 2: OKAY so upon reading, I see 64 Bit Ubuntu is needed...I HAVE A Core 2 Duo processer...problem is I have only 1 gig of RAM and now no graphics card...I am realizing I am SOL. Looking on Amazon for replacement parts.

I know this may be off subject, but I have been working my ASS off trying to save for my dream machine. of course, bills get in the way and I am now maybe pushed back another month before I can buy it. Question is, I am looking to get one from CyberPowerPC, one of those deals. Does anyone on these forums have a rig built from that site to give me verification that if I drop $1000 on a rig, it will be exactly what I dream of, or is it a hoax? I know, I have read countless forums and threads about how good they are, but I'm sure you all can understand my doubts on spending a thousand dollars on this...Would I be better off just saving money and upgrading my Optiplex 760 up to specs, or go ahead and get my dream machine? I work as a CNC machine operator, so I will start learning how to program on the machines soon, but I believe that solidworks should run fine on this rig, if I just give it some tender loving. So many conflictions lol. Thank you all for your patience!

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone! Sorry for the late reply, I have been kinda tied down heh. Looks like I'll have to do a triple-boot on my rugged machine...that's IF the power supply wont combust into flames by then >.< without my graphics card (due to an underpowered Power Supply starting to take a dump....wtf???) I'm not sure how much longer my core 2 dell on 1 gig of RAM will last...had a damn good card in it too. We shall see how this playes out. G60, which Linux distro would be best to run? I'm thinking of Ubuntu 10.04, or should I use a different one? I was also thinking about usung Fuduntu...lemme know! :D

EDIT: NVM just read the link 10.04 it is then. XD

EDIT 2: OKAY so upon reading, I see 64 Bit Ubuntu is needed...I HAVE A Core 2 Duo processer...problem is I have only 1 gig of RAM and now no graphics card...I am realizing I am SOL. Looking on Amazon for replacement parts.

I know this may be off subject, but I have been working my ASS off trying to save for my dream machine. of course, bills get in the way and I am now maybe pushed back another month before I can buy it. Question is, I am looking to get one from CyberPowerPC, one of those deals. Does anyone on these forums have a rig built from that site to give me verification that if I drop $1000 on a rig, it will be exactly what I dream of, or is it a hoax? I know, I have read countless forums and threads about how good they are, but I'm sure you all can understand my doubts on spending a thousand dollars on this...Would I be better off just saving money and upgrading my Optiplex 760 up to specs, or go ahead and get my dream machine? I work as a CNC machine operator, so I will start learning how to program on the machines soon, but I believe that solidworks should run fine on this rig, if I just give it some tender loving. So many conflictions lol. Thank you all for your patience!

Don't go wasting tons of money on a RIG! Here is the break down to save you money and get the most out of your money. Look for a Dell T5400 dual quad core 2.0ghz xeon

Dell Precision T5400 Dual Quad Core 2 0GHz Xeon 5405 Workstation 4GB DVD Octo | eBay

It's what myself, charishot, and dsmryder are using. It cost about 200-300 depending on what is under the hood. I would recommend trying to find the 2.0Ghz Dual Quad Core Xeon's if you can find it. It will save you the time for buying a second proc ($30) and also fan ($45-50). As for ram its cheap, you won't need more than 8GB of RAM as all it uses is CPU. I dip into maybe 1-2GB of RAM during the build but the CPU sits at 99-100%

You won't need anything faster than 2.0ghz, I am running dual quad core 3.16ghz and I can build all of 2-3 minutes faster than chairshot so for $150.00 it was a waste of money. Also do not waste money on an SSD disk it will not speed up the build, both me and chairshot wasted money on that. If anything it's nice for bootup time but I restart my rig once a month if that, or when updates come in.

Build times for me are 12 minutes for CM7 and about 32-33 minutes for CM9. CM10 is about 37-38 minutes. Added 2-5 minutes if you are using the 2.0Ghz. Hope this helps save you a ton of cash :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones