• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

c'mon man

lennydude

Android Expert
May 19, 2010
Maine USA
(NEWS CENTER) - NEWS CENTER political analyst Phil Harriman has confirmed that Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney will be making a campaign stop in Portland.

Romney is scheduled to have a rally at Portland Yacht Services Friday evening at 5:30.

Geeezzzzzzz...........the Portland Yacht Services huh...............wonder how the other "99%" will get to see him ??????????

you prefer he try to raise campaign funds at the portland Salvation Army?

this is what candidates do....... they hold fundraisers at fancy places........ you cant name a single serious presidential candidate in the last 100 years who hasnt given a fundraising speech at some yacht club or country club or other private ritzy location ........ this somehow shocks or dismays you?

Reactions: jayjay1122
Upvote 0
you prefer he try to raise campaign funds at the portland Salvation Army?

this is what candidates do....... they hold fundraisers at fancy places........ you cant name a single serious presidential candidate in the last 100 years who hasnt given a fundraising speech at some yacht club or country club or other private ritzy location ........ this somehow shocks or dismays you?

nah................just seems to me with all the crap he is taking about his wealth, that somehow his peeps could have chosen a better venue. Especially in a state like Maine.

Upvote 0
They go where the money is. Would you rather waste your time at a yacht club and get tens of thousands dollars or at a local mall and get like $20 donations? Campaigns are not won on good speeches alone. You need the capital to fuel that train.

Whilst this is absolutely the way the political system works, its a crock. Money buys influence. 'sure mr candidate, I'll give you my money, but I expect ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in return' <-- w'evs. From the get go of any political race the doors are wide open to corruption.

Money buys influence. Money buys air time. one candidiate gets more air time than another. his views may not be as good, but as he's had more air time on <insert shitty tv network here> he's the name that springs to mind when the less intelligent than average voter goes to the polls.

The entire system is a crock.

Upvote 0
Whilst this is absolutely the way the political system works, its a crock. Money buys influence. 'sure mr candidate, I'll give you my money, but I expect ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in return' <-- w'evs. From the get go of any political race the doors are wide open to corruption.

Money buys influence. Money buys air time. one candidiate gets more air time than another. his views may not be as good, but as he's had more air time on <insert shitty tv network here> he's the name that springs to mind when the less intelligent than average voter goes to the polls.

well I dont find anyone that would argue that its a flawed system...... that being that whomever has the money has the votes simply due to exposure... but guess what.......... YOU are the one who makes it this way......... ask yourself this....... are YOU more likely to vote for a person you only hear a few headlines about and have limited exposure to or the person who the media talks about night and day and you see nonstop commercials for?

YOU as the voter decided long ago that you prefer the guy with the most money

Upvote 0
Campaign contribution limits was supposed to solve the issue of anyone having outside influence on a candidate. Unfortunately bundling solved that little roadblock. Take a look at the perks that the Obama gives his bundlers:

at least 68 of 350 Obama bundlers for the 2012 election or their spouses have served in the administration in some capacity; at least 250 of the bundlers visited the White House, and another 30 have ties to companies that conduct business with federal agencies or hope to do so in the future,&#8221; according to a recent iWatch News report. Several first-time 2012 bundlers already have snagged administration posts:
bullet_blue.gif
Norma Lee Funger, of Potomac, Md., who raised between $50,000 and $100,000 for Obama, was appointed last month to the board of trustees of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
bullet_blue.gif
Glenn S. Gerstell, of Washington, D.C., who bundled the same amount, was appointed to the National Infrastructure Advisory Commission last fall.
bullet_blue.gif
Richard Binder, of Bethesda, Md., another $50,000-to-$100,000 bundler, was appointed to the Advisory Group on Prevention, Health Promotion, and Integrative and Public Health last spring.

Let's face it, it doesn't matter who you are, if you don't fundraise and cater just a little to the people who can give you the most money, you will lose.

Upvote 0
(NEWS CENTER) - NEWS CENTER political analyst Phil Harriman has confirmed that Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney will be making a campaign stop in Portland.

Romney is scheduled to have a rally at Portland Yacht Services Friday evening at 5:30.

Geeezzzzzzz...........the Portland Yacht Services huh...............wonder how the other "99%" will get to see him ??????????

Wow - 5 seconds on google and i found out that it's a FRICKIN' MARINA.

From their own website:
Portland Yacht Services is a full service Boatyard and Marina, providing customers with a full spectrum of services for outfitting and maintaining a motor or sailing vessel. Our dedicated staff handles all types of storage, maintenance, refits, and restorations on any type of boat or yacht.

You saw the word "yacht" and ASSUMED it was some club for rich people. It's a marina for crying out loud. Maybe a nice one, but when you saw "YACHT" i bet you didn't think about all the folks that WORK there providing a living for their families - by selling boats, parts, trailers, gas, etc.

Upvote 0

Never said it was right. Political offices is a rich mans game. You need either a name like Kennedy. Lots of money like McCain's wife has and connections. Why you think the average Joe never runs? Because money talks and the ones with money won't give it to the ones that don't.

Like they say money talks and.... Well you know the rest.

Upvote 0
well I dont find anyone that would argue that its a flawed system...... that being that whomever has the money has the votes simply due to exposure... but guess what.......... YOU are the one who makes it this way......... ask yourself this....... are YOU more likely to vote for a person you only hear a few headlines about and have limited exposure to or the person who the media talks about night and day and you see nonstop commercials for?

YOU as the voter decided long ago that you prefer the guy with the most money

Honestly, there was no need for such an unsubstantiated personal attack there - YOU know absolutely nothing of my voting preference and history...

Upvote 0
I'm thinking that the backdrop to this thread is the need for each American political candidate running for office to harvest as much money as he or she can, with the winner of that race likely becoming the winner of the election.

Ross Perot proved that billionaires can come in third place, though. ;)

I was glad to see that, when it happened, because it seemed right. But it was a false conclusion, as we were only talking about several candidates, each of them in the same upper class of American wealth, with the richest happening to be such a nutcase that he was largely ignored by voters come election day.

Upvote 0
why worry about voting for a president. The people don't vote him in to office.

Thought people learned this with George Bush.

IF VOTING CHANGED ANYTHING THEY WOULD MAKE IT ILLEGAL.

All it is, is a Popularity Contest where the one with the most exposure and "who looks like" they can do the job.

The average 9to5'er does not have enough money to buy a Presidency seat.

Personally I think we should take all Layers, Lobbiest, and Politicians and place them on a Island together and nuke it.

When will we rise above the need for Cops and Laws?

When has it ever been a good idea to let the Government do it?

Upvote 0
Wow - 5 seconds on google and i found out that it's a FRICKIN' MARINA.

From their own website:
Portland Yacht Services is a full service Boatyard and Marina, providing customers with a full spectrum of services for outfitting and maintaining a motor or sailing vessel. Our dedicated staff handles all types of storage, maintenance, refits, and restorations on any type of boat or yacht.

You saw the word "yacht" and ASSUMED it was some club for rich people. It's a marina for crying out loud. Maybe a nice one, but when you saw "YACHT" i bet you didn't think about all the folks that WORK there providing a living for their families - by selling boats, parts, trailers, gas, etc.

5 seconds huh?............... LOL

One of my best friends works there. Afraid i know MUCH more about the business than you could ever know with a 5 second search...;)
I do not determine what is best for my family and myself and our lives after searching Google for 5 seconds..............no offense meant to you or anyone else. But you do need more than 5 seconds to determine something like that.
And to those that use the extremes for venues like Yacht Services versus Denny's , that is not what i posted about. Gingrich came to Maine and used a much more "neutral" venue than that.
Romney has an "rich boy" image and all i was saying is that he could have held the "public" meeting at a better venue...........that's all :)

Upvote 0
It's just that the OP's:

"wonder how the other "99%" will get to see him ??????????"

seems to suggest that only 1% of the citizens in Portland (around the U.S.?) will see him, when in fact no matter where a presidential candidate speaks during election year pretty much everybody across all economic classes have the same opportunity via news media. The name of the venue is not relevant unless it's something unsavory such as the KKK or Black Panther's headquarters. ;)

Reactions: lennydude
Upvote 0
well heres the best thing I can tell you....... the caucus is today........ and if speaking at a PUBLIC marina that bares the word "Yacht" in its title doesnt represent the "99%" enough..... while other candidates speak at more "neutral" sites like country clubs etc......... then it should be a landslide against Romney...... then your point will have been well made......... Id be surprised if he gets more than 1% of the vote (see what I did there?)

Upvote 0
dont get me wrong...... Im no fan of Romney...... but for real reasons like his record and the fact that its quite obvious he's a RINO...... but to assert that hes an elitist for speaking at a PUBLIC forum which has a fancy word in the title......... then compare him to other candidates who speak at more "neutral" sites like country clubs...... beyond ridiculous

on the other hand its worth noting that every article surrounding todays caucus in Maine make mention of the fact that only Romney and Paul are actively campaigning there........ while Newt and Santorum have decided to abandon the state

I better stop eating at 'The Royal Wok'.......my friends may say Im an elitist

Upvote 0
Personally I think we should take all Layers, Lobbiest, and Politicians and place them on a Island together and nuke it.

I don't know.. the fallout would likely fertilize the ground downwind with some sort of mutant, fungal greed spores. Then we'd have to deal with environmentalists wanting us to prove the spores are more noxious than they are.

It's a vicious cycle. :D

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
Fortunately I live in DC where voting really doesn't matter. Obama got 97% of the vote in 08. Can't imagine it'll be any different this time around.

Don't know that 97% that voted for him in 08 has seen that he did nothing for them. Doubt the voting will be the same. After all can't use the running as the first black president no more. He will have to come up with a new gimmic. Oh wait he is half white. So guess he wasn't the first African American president lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones