• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

cnet Review: EVO 4G

Zumaki

Android Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2009
I love cnet reviews, they typically give good info about the phones, and though many of their gripes are petty, its nearly always obvious to me whether I would care about the issues or not. Very informative. Anyway, here's their take on the EVO:

HTC Evo 4G - black (Sprint) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

/not a plug

edit:

Upon reading the review, it looks like this could be like, the best phone evar. Unfortunately Sprint has realized this and apparently wants to charge us for every damn feature that makes the phone worth having... including a mandatory $10 charge for the 4G, whether you can use it in your home region or not. Cnet also speculates Sprint will charge for the video chat service. Ugh.

Makes me glad I won't be able to get it for cheap till Nov 1, at which time hopefully Sprint's money-grab mindset will be sated.

I'm also in the wait till at least November boat. There's also no chance that I would pay the 4g tax if there was no 4g in the majority of the area I use my phone. In buying the first 4g phone, you'll also pay the early adopter penalty. There's an almost certainty that the phone will be severly flawed when compared with the 4g phones that are released a couple of weeks/months later.

Upvote 0
When I spoke to a Sprint rep he told me they would not be charging 10 dollars for 4g unless you wanted the premium add on which employs 4g to the fullest and he went on to say they couldn't charge 10 dollars for a service you can't receive

Review states it is a mandatory charge, and the reviewer didn't have 4G in their home area. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. :D

Upvote 0
Since I AM in a 4G market, and I am currently paying $60/month for a 3G/4G modem with Time Warner (no contract).

Let's see ... (figger,figger) ... I have a family plan that I can add a line to for $15/month + $10 for 4G premium and $30/month for mobile hotspot; it seems to me that I should be able to add a line and still save $5/month.

Of course I'd have to buy into a two year contract unless I want to pay full price for the EVO! Hmmm, how much was that again?

But then if I just upgraded my Moment and saved the $15 extra line charge that's $360, hmmmmm; goes a long way towards the full price and alleviates any issues with porting phone numbers.

Yup! I believe I'll be getting an EVO! One way or the other. Anybody wanna buy a 3G/4G Modem with Time Warner?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones