• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CNN: 80% of android users won't buy another android phone???

This is certainly an interesting poll..

77% of iPhone owners say they'll buy another iPhone, compared to 20% of Android customers who say they'll buy another Android phone.

This falls in line with my co workers and friends who have used older Iphone models and are extremely happy with their current Iphone 4, and will very likely buy another Iphone in the future. I am one of them for sure, I will definitely buy another Iphone 1 or two years from now.

I'm not to sure about the droid statistic though, seems a little low. While I've never asked my co workers who use droid whether or not they'll buy another droid phone in the future, those of them who do use droid do seem to be very happy with it.

Upvote 0

77% of iPhone owners say they'll buy another iPhone, compared to 20% of Android customers who say they'll buy another Android phone.

This falls in line with my co workers and friends who have used older Iphone models and are extremely happy with their current Iphone 4, and will very likely buy another Iphone in the future. I am one of them for sure, I will definitely buy another Iphone 1 or two years from now.

I'm not to sure about the droid statistic though, seems a little low. While I've never asked my co workers who use droid whether or not they'll buy another droid phone in the future, those of them who do use droid do seem to be very happy with it.

I think, respectfully, that the iPhone popularity may be beginning to crest.

I think Apple does a masterful job of "creating" trends,and this is why they are successful. I think they have made themselves the standard for a society that is still getting used to smartphones.

We might be reaching the apex now. The one thing that has made Apple a success may begin to be its biggest drawback: when thinking outside the box becomes so prevalent that it becomes restrictive in and of itself... when the new flavor becomes the "new vanilla." Remember the old Apple commercial: YouTube - Apple - 1984

Who is who?

I think Apple has a few more years of dominance. I actually believe that 80% of current iPhone users will re-up to new ones. However, in the medium run, Apple may fall victim to the very concept that they help strengthen: people like being thought of as unique and exotic. People want to be different; it's what makes us who we are.

BTW, don't put too mush stock in that survey.

Upvote 0
That chicks boobs in that apple commercial must be down to her knees by now.

Never put too much stock in a survey. You don't know how controlled it is but even if it was true, I know that I'll be buying another android device not because I hate apple, because I hate Steve Jobs. I wont supporting anything that helps make him richer and inflates his ego. My wife still has a 3gs so occasionally I go to modmyi and when I;m there alot of those guys complain more about Mr. Jobs and his errogance than his actual product which makes them not want to support him either.

For god sakes, it took apple how many years to add multi-tasking when android had it from the beginning and the fanboys are raving about it.

The person conducting the poll might be selecting those that have a cliq, backflip, behold II and many of the other lower end phones comparing them a 3gs. Polls are nothing more than a tool to get the authors point across and the public should be taking these polls with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0
That chicks boobs in that apple commercial must be down to her knees by now.

Never put too much stock in a survey. You don't know how controlled it is but even if it was true, I know that I'll be buying another android device not because I hate apple, because I hate Steve Jobs. I wont supporting anything that helps make him richer and inflates his ego. My wife still has a 3gs so occasionally I go to modmyi and when I;m there alot of those guys complain more about Mr. Jobs and his errogance than his actual product which makes them not want to support him either.

For god sakes, it took apple how many years to add multi-tasking when android had it from the beginning and the fanboys are raving about it.

The person conducting the poll might be selecting those that have a cliq, backflip, behold II and many of the other lower end phones comparing them a 3gs. Polls are nothing more than a tool to get the authors point across and the public should be taking these polls with a grain of salt.

i agree lol

Upvote 0

It's nothing stunning. Most people don't like change and prefer what they're comfortable with, and with iPhone users in particular they've probably invested quite a bit of money into App Store purchases.

On the other hand, there'll always be people--particularly tech-savvy ones--who get tired of the way Apple does things, who realize iTunes on their PCs is nothing but rubbish bloatware, etc, who will be turning to other mobile OSes. Before Android came along, no viable alternative existed. Now one does.

Upvote 0
It's nothing stunning. Most people don't like change and prefer what they're comfortable with, and with iPhone users in particular they've probably invested quite a bit of money into App Store purchases.

Perhaps some have invested a significant amount of money into itunes, but other people like myself have not, and I would change to droid or another carrier in a heartbeat if I wasn't already very happy with my Iphone 4 or if I felt that the AT&T service sucked.

I agree that some people don't like change, but I don't think that would necessarily stop them from going to another service or phone if they truly were not happy with what they already have.

Upvote 0
I have a hypothetical question for all late model Android owners: Evo 4G, Desire, Droid Incredible, Droid X and Samsung Galaxy S. All these phones will upgrade to Froyo 2.2

Lets assume, Android 3.0 comes out an NONE of these phones get updated beyond 2.2. Would you buy another Android Phone?

Simple question and simple answer please.

Upvote 0
Apple is ran by a bunch of left wing radical's. CNN favor's Liberal's. I would never trust anything CNN say's.

Its kinda crazy that your bringing politics into a cell phone conversation but OK...I would argue that the person taking the poll is an iphone user and is justifying his lost signal on his iphone 4

Upvote 0
I have a hypothetical question for all late model Android owners: Evo 4G, Desire, Droid Incredible, Droid X and Samsung Galaxy S. All these phones will upgrade to Froyo 2.2

Lets assume, Android 3.0 comes out an NONE of these phones get updated beyond 2.2. Would you buy another Android Phone?

Simple question and simple answer please.

It depends on the latest offerings by the companies making the hardware. If they finally stop dabbling with stock Android, and release all the kernels and things to make the community hack it, than I'd buy another hands down. If they refuse to update the next phone, then I'm in a worse boat than those Apple kids, and would probably wish to stay in the comforting walled garden of either an iPhone or a Windows phone.

Upvote 0
First of all, don't ever put an ounce of faith into any "poll". The grand majority of the time, the error rate is just way too high to make the poll legimiate. One of the first things you will learn (if you take a stastics class) is that you can make a poll say anything you want it to say using the right control group. That is why it is so important to know not only who conducted the poll but who paid to have it conducted.

With that said, I think that the results of this poll are probably accurate, though misleading. What you are seeing is basically the result of stupid people who don't know what they are talking about but answer the poll anyway...

The problem is that they are compairing a specific DEVICE to an OS. You just can't do that (though leave it to CNN to try!)

Look at it this way. With Apple's iPhone, there is only ONE device, ever. There are different generations, but only 1 device. So iPhone users know that their next phone will be an iPhone, its just gonna be iPhone 5, 6, 7, etc...

With Android it's a whole different ballgame. Android is an OS. There are MANY different Android phone's. Sadly, people probably don't understand that. So if you were to ask a Motorola Droid owner if he will get another Android, he'll probably say no, but what he really means is "I won't get another Motorola Droid". When in fact he will probably get a Droid X or even a HTC or Samsung Android phone when it's time to upgrade.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones