• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CNN: 80% of android users won't buy another android phone???

It depends on the latest offerings by the companies making the hardware. If they finally stop dabbling with stock Android, and release all the kernels and things to make the community hack it, than I'd buy another hands down. If they refuse to update the next phone, then I'm in a worse boat than those Apple kids, and would probably wish to stay in the comforting walled garden of either an iPhone or a Windows phone.

I think we should all look at the original Samsung i7500,Motorola Dext/Cliq/Backflip owners as reference.

The Samsung i7500 Galaxy owners have been left in the cold. Still running Android 1.5, many bugs still un-address. Moto Cliq owners are being promised 2.1. Meanwhile, new android phones are coming out at a rapid pace. 6-8 months of waiting for an update is like an eternity. My wife has a backflip (free phone replacement when she lost her iPhone) and she has no Kindle, no google nav, the phone has better specs and a faster processor than her old iPhone 3G but it is dog slow due to the fact it is running Android 1.5. It currently sits in the closet; awaiting for the update. We just keep the phone around because it is GSM and we can unlock it for international travel. We will wait till 2.1 comes out for it. She is back to using her old Windows Mobile phone (for GPS) and is waiting for the "white iPhone 4"

Sure, custom roms are nice but where are the custom roms for these phones I've mentioned. Also, suppose you can shoe-horn the latest "xda-hacked" Android OS on the phone, what about the proprietary drivers? The Galaxy S has a gyroscope. Suppose you can get Android 3.0 on it but have no drivers for the gyroscope and your wifi no longer works because it is not an official ROM. Furthermore, your cellular signal is degraded because you are running a generic baseband radio and not the one shipped with your 2.1 OS.

Then Samsung comes out with the 3rd gen Galaxy, say, the Galaxy Ultra that has 3.0, supports gyroscope, and adds cool stuff like USB OTG, and some other cool features in December. Wouldn't you get pissed off?

Upvote 0
I think we should all look at the original Samsung i7500,Motorola Dext/Cliq/Backflip owners as reference.

The Samsung i7500 Galaxy owners have been left in the cold. Still running Android 1.5, many bugs still un-address. Moto Cliq owners are being promised 2.1. Meanwhile, new android phones are coming out at a rapid pace. 6-8 months of waiting for an update is like an eternity. My wife has a backflip (free phone replacement when she lost her iPhone) and she has no Kindle, no google nav, the phone has better specs and a faster processor than her old iPhone 3G but it is dog slow due to the fact it is running Android 1.5. It currently sits in the closet; awaiting for the update. We just keep the phone around because it is GSM and we can unlock it for international travel. We will wait till 2.1 comes out for it. She is back to using her old Windows Mobile phone (for GPS) and is waiting for the "white iPhone 4"

Sure, custom roms are nice but where are the custom roms for these phones I've mentioned. Also, suppose you can shoe-horn the latest "xda-hacked" Android OS on the phone, what about the proprietary drivers? The Galaxy S has a gyroscope. Suppose you can get Android 3.0 on it but have no drivers for the gyroscope and your wifi no longer works because it is not an official ROM. Furthermore, your cellular signal is degraded because you are running a generic baseband radio and not the one shipped with your 2.1 OS.

Then Samsung comes out with the 3rd gen Galaxy, say, the Galaxy Ultra that has 3.0, supports gyroscope, and adds cool stuff like USB OTG, and some other cool features in December. Wouldn't you get pissed off?

Exactly my point, and I should have supplemented hacking with getting updated. It'll be hard for me to continue with Android if companies refuse to support their older phones, and don't at least supply the community of the tools to take advantage of them.

Upvote 0
I have a hypothetical question for all late model Android owners: Evo 4G, Desire, Droid Incredible, Droid X and Samsung Galaxy S. All these phones will upgrade to Froyo 2.2

Lets assume, Android 3.0 comes out an NONE of these phones get updated beyond 2.2. Would you buy another Android Phone?

Simple question and simple answer please.

good question!

Good answer: absotively, posulutely, YES! :D

oh but i beg that mine supports 3.0 pls, its expensive to buy phones every major OS update you know.. :D

Upvote 0
You can't even compare. With Apple you are buying the hardware and software as an integrated package. As far as Android, people may be saying they don't like their current hardware. But that can translate into a perceived dissatisfaction with the operating system too. Some like to bash Apple for their tight control, but this is the reason why. They want to manage the entire user experience so that it is a positive one.

Upvote 0
Telephone manufacturers don't have a vested interest in us keeping old phones updated. Not Apple, Not Windoze... The only community with a truckload of developers who are committed to keeping ROMs available for an OS is Android. It is the *manufacturers* who now gum up the works because they have discovered that the "goose that laid the golden egg" is them. So they keep laying them...and we keep buying them.

It was *consumers* who changed the PC industry. We learned to upgrade and to build our own PC's. Telephone manufacturers don't want to see that happen. So now, they begin to mukk up the innerds with proprietary junk that prohibits the phones from being upgraded past a certain point. Why? Not because they are incapable (as evidenced in the unadulterated version of the Behold 2 with Cincinnati Bell) but because they want to continue to sell *new* phones to the same user base. And the "tight control" is not so much for your enjoyment as it is for their bottom line.

Upvote 0
Telephone manufacturers don't have a vested interest in us keeping old phones updated. Not Apple, Not Windoze... The only community with a truckload of developers who are committed to keeping ROMs available for an OS is Android. It is the *manufacturers* who now gum up the works because they have discovered that the "goose that laid the golden egg" is them. So they keep laying them...and we keep buying them.

It was *consumers* who changed the PC industry. We learned to upgrade and to build our own PC's. Telephone manufacturers don't want to see that happen. So now, they begin to mukk up the innerds with proprietary junk that prohibits the phones from being upgraded past a certain point. Why? Not because they are incapable (as evidenced in the unadulterated version of the Behold 2 with Cincinnati Bell) but because they want to continue to sell *new* phones to the same user base. And the "tight control" is not so much for your enjoyment as it is for their bottom line.

Very well said...

Upvote 0
I have a hypothetical question for all late model Android owners: Evo 4G, Desire, Droid Incredible, Droid X and Samsung Galaxy S. All these phones will upgrade to Froyo 2.2

Lets assume, Android 3.0 comes out an NONE of these phones get updated beyond 2.2. Would you buy another Android Phone?

Simple question and simple answer please.

Truthfully, I bought the Evo because it was an Evo. Not because it was an android. I began school on android 101 that day. I "Would" buy another android, knowing what I know now. I "Would" also look at other phones based on their capability in the future. I would likely NOT ever buy an iphone. for more reasons than the OS.

Sorry, couldn't answer simply.... Leavin stuff out just to not make it worse :)

Upvote 0
we weren't getting it wrong at all, the article was wrong. they printed a correction. the article is possibly even worse now. you're still talking about an OS vs. a phone with OS. they could ask if Evo owners would buy a 2nd gen Evo or not. though i don't think it would score as high as the iphone in a survey like that 1, it would do better than the results of "all smartphone" users

Upvote 0
the whole thing is just foolish all around. The study is obviously off, the story is garbage, and the original gross mistake is just the icing on the cake. Does that about sum it up? The explosion of Android growth is so obvious that anyone who says otherwise is living in a hole, paid off by apple in someway, or spouting nonsense. The people involved with creating this 'data' and printing this story here are most likely a combination of all three! heheh

Reactions: cr0wnest
Upvote 0
Wow! I love my droid and have convinced several family members and friends to dump their smartphones and apples and get a droid. What's not to love? I don't pay much attention to surveys like this but this one got me going and prompted a response. Would I buy it again - absolutely! I love my droid! I live where the iPhone doesn't exist - people here can't get AT&T signal (go figure)! Frankly I doubt I'd look at one now that I have my droid. You can keep your apples!! :D

Upvote 0
Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly said that 20% of Android customers say they'll buy another Android phone. The survey actually revealed that 20% of all smartphone customers say they'll buy an Android phone.

Did anyone read the updated paragraph at the end of the article? Looks like they got it wrong, or at least they say so...

Anyway as far as im concered... My next phone after my current android phone will definitely be another android phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones