1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root cognition back to bone stock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gocats7, Sep 24, 2010.

1. gocats7

gocats7 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I am sure this is out there somewhere. I have never done anything with ROMs or anything on my phone so I am a newbie. I do think that eventually I will get the nerve cause I love technology and throw cognition on my captivate.

I found plenty of guides to do various things but my question is, if I want to go back to 100% stock that ATT couldnt tell the difference in and tell I had ever done anything, how would I do that once I had gone as far as the cognition ROM? I am sure there is a guide, a post or something but I didnt find it here or on xda. I didnt spend hours looking but I did look.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. mckooter

mckooter Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
  3. gocats7

Sep 2, 2010
    I did see that but I guess I didnt put 2 and 2 together. So I can do whatever I want and use this to go back to stock? It will put all the att apps back on it, set everything back to just like the day I got it?

Also, I saw in ROM manager i can do backup. Could I root and use it to back up my state, with root obviously, then use that as the state I can always go back to. So I could put cognition on it, then do some kinda restore through ROM manager to go back to exactly how I was? Or is there really a point to that with what you linked me to with the one click oden?

4. mckooter

mckooter Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    the rom manager will install clockwordmod recovery console to help you get back to a "stock" setup, whatever you backed up, but the odin 3 will wipe everything and restore to the day you bought it* regardless. they are both simmilar but if you encountered problems i would odin3 it and start fresh

*meaning current factory rom

p.s. cognition is awesome, imo, if your unfamilliar with the process i would reccomend reading a bit before flashing as no one wants to be responsible for your expensive paperweight if your not

5. gocats7

Sep 2, 2010
    I got the nerve, used Odin first...went great. Threw Cognition on next, flawless process. I did this back and forth about 3 times just to understand it all well. Great tools and great ROM, Im on Cognition until someone can tell me why that would be a problem. It seems great so far.