• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cold calling

Mehta23

Android Expert
Nov 28, 2011
England,UK
gadgetblur.com
I just had a cold call today ( I believe originally for my dad?) asking me about my computer.

The (of course Indian) guy showed me my Windows event logs and errors and claimed that these can cause the slowing down of my PC (which is still super fast thanks to the SSD :p) loss of data, and could allow malicious files to be downloaded without me knowing - even when my computer is off!

He then wanted me to do something in the run dialog to allow him to connect to my PC and "fix all of my problems".

Just made me wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences, and what I could do to avoid them?

I just had a cold call today ( I believe originally for my dad?) asking me about my computer.

The (of course Indian) guy showed me my Windows event logs and errors and claimed that these can cause the slowing down of my PC (which is still super fast thanks to the SSD :p) loss of data, and could allow malicious files to be downloaded without me knowing - even when my computer is off!

He then wanted me to do something in the run dialog to allow him to connect to my PC and "fix all of my problems".

Just made me wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences, and what I could do to avoid them?

Yuck... sorry to see you had such a thing. It's a scam of course, along with a bit of data mining, it sounds like.

I'd advise reporting to your carrier, and also taking advantage of your carrier or device (or both) number blocking features.

Also, please read this:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/telemarketing/tel19.pdf

Plus, be sure to put your and/or your dad's phone number on the do not call registry (it takes effect about a month after being listed, so do it right away):

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Reactions: ocnbrze and Mehta23
Upvote 0
Thats what I thought about doing, but he hooked me when he told me about how files can be downloaded without me knowing. I thought it was worth a look.
I started getting fishy when he said that files can be downloaded to my PC, even if I have antivirus, even if the PC is off!
Then I knew it became too fishy when he wanted me to open the run dialog again to connect to his server, rather than something browser or application based.

I was gonna say I don't have a computer, but I think he would've heard me type a few things whilst on the phone.

Yuck... sorry to see you had such a thing. It's a scam of course, along with a bit of data mining, it sounds like.

Plus, be sure to put your and/or your dad's phone number on the do not call registry (it takes effect about a month after being listed, so do it right away):

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Is that site for the UK? I can't seem to put in my phone number :(

Upvote 0

Nothing.

This is a known Indian ring with a dead drop in Delaware, in a strip mall next to a beauty salon.

The address also lists a therapist that is getting money and listed with the state.

Same guys managed to take down the political parties for fake sales of voter databases - and they haven't caught up with them, outstanding warrants for two years.

And one of the most discussed scams at Microsoft.

They got my elderly mom's info but she called me in the middle of the night, so I could perform damage control.

Her pc was beyond saving and we were able to thwart the identity theft that was underway.

They'll never be caught or stopped, hang up on them immediately.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thats what I thought about doing, but he hooked me when he told me about how files can be downloaded without me knowing. I thought it was worth a look.
I started getting fishy when he said that files can be downloaded to my PC, even if I have antivirus, even if the PC is off!
Then I knew it became too fishy when he wanted me to open the run dialog again to connect to his server, rather than something browser or application based.

I was gonna say I don't have a computer, but I think he would've heard me type a few things whilst on the phone.

Is that site for the UK? I can't seem to put in my phone number :(

There is a site in the UK...Google the Telephone Preference Service

Reactions: ocnbrze and Mehta23
Upvote 0
Just made me wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences
No, I certainly haven't. :eek:

and what I could do to avoid them?
Yes, wipe windows$ off your drive(s), install Linux, done. :D Oh, now that I think about it, THAT'S why I've never had any such problems! :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: mikedt and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
It happened to one of my elderly friends recently and the scammers got off with $200 that she willingly gave them for the computer program that they were installing to solve all of her computer problems.:rolleyes: My daughter found out about it and called one of her computer savvy friends to go run interference on this scammer. They were successful in returning her computer to normal, but unable to retrieve her money since she willingly gave that away. She cancelled her credit card promptly and recieved a new one.

Upvote 0
Oh, you've reminded me (Going slightly off topic) but has anyone had the Security Tools virus?

It's made to look like an anti virus which pops up showing you have thousands of trojans in made up folders (C:/my pictures/childpr0n)

And the only way to fix these is to press the big red fix button. But you need to pay

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones