1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Collaborate grocery app?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Mayhem, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Mayhem

Mayhem Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    Male
    Senior Engineer - Software Quality Assurance
    Austin, Texas area
    Anyone know of a decent, free collaborative grocery or shopping application? My wife wants us to use one but of the ones I've seen in the market I've not been impressed with.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    I use Grocery IQ. I'm not very impressed but after a lot of work I got it to keep the aisles for each store in the right order, so it makes shopping pretty much going from one end of the store to the other.

I need a separate set of aisle lists for each store (prefixed with the store location, like R Walmart, S Walmart, etc.) and favorites labled the same way (R Red Potatoes, S Red Potatoes). There are better ways of writing an app like that, but I'm not yet familiar enough with the Android environment to try so start with an app like that.

Until I learn a lot more, it'll do. (My wife still uses paper. She writes it out, I put it into my app. She can run the app too, but she's even more underwhelmed by it than I am.) Oh, and you cn run it from their website too.

Still needs a row number field, though. And the devs are pretty unresponsive.

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    I looked forever for one of those, and finally found OurGroceries. Even though it's for grocery lists, we use it for all kinds of other lists, too (Home Improvement list, Vacation item reminders of things to ensure are packed, etc. etc. etc). As soon as I add something to the list on my phone, it syncs and shows up on his phone. If he deletes a list or item on his phone, I literally watch it in real time disappear on my phone. Yes, it's free but there are small ads on the top of the app. Barely noticeable. We've been using it for more than 6 months without any issues at all.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Male
    Seattle
    If you're asking for what I think you're asking for, Out of Milk works really well, IMHO.

FishenFool and ocnbrze like this.
  5. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    #1 for me and my wife as well. They do have a free version, but I have the paid version with the extra features. Its really easy to use, you can have it sync in real time or manually sync list. You can cut and past items to other list and can even share a list thru email, SMS, etc. It doesn't use a lot of battery either.

6. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Male
    Seattle
    The real time sync is nice for when you're both walking through the store grabbing things.

7. omahatian

omahatian Member
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    Corporate Communications
    Connecticut, USA

We like Cozi. It's got shopping lists plus to do lists and scheduling options. Pretty good for total family organization!

8. pdqgp

pdqgp Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2013
    Male
    Sales Director
    Grocery IQ. Works really well. I've been using it for several years. I suggest building your favorites list on the web via their portal, then just selecting items is pretty easy. Bar Code Scanner works great.

Very collaborative. My wife doesn't always use it when in the store, but rather takes and prints the list. She's a little old-school like that.

9. GadgetTravel

GadgetTravel Newbie
    None

Jul 3, 2011
    We actually use a web site for this, Springpad.

10. Italo

Italo Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Student
    Atlanta
    I use Cozi for groceries as well. I make my list in browser, and use labels to separate the items to different areas of the store. Now, if only I could get my the rest of the household to use it too...

11. FishenFool

FishenFool Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 1, 2013
    Male
    Phoenix
    Out Of Milk is what my wife and I use. I have it on my phone and she has it on her tablet. There is also a Web interface as well. One of the other features that my wife enjoys is the local weekly deals that she goes thru when preparing a grocery list.

12. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Android Expert
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    After trying a few (including many of the ones already listed) I settled on Shopper Grocery Shopping List. It took a little getting use but ultimately won me over. It does RT sync'ing with multiple devices, and has nice web interface for creating a list on the computer.

13. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Android Expert
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I've been trying to get my wife to use collaborative planning apps more often. Most of the time though it ends up with her writing the list on paper, handing it to me, which I end up entering into my phone.

Heh - I need an app so I can take a picture of the list and have turned into a to-do/shopping whatever list.

14. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Funny, my wife does the same thing to me. (And she's the one who picked the app.) But, I just enter the items in the app. since its just easier being able to have one hand free when shopping all the time. (When I used paper, I was using both hands which took longer to shop.) Using a calulator, pen and paper is a pain when shopping.