1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

colors washing out in direct sunlight? anyone else?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JimKnuckles, Oct 18, 2014.

1. JimKnuckles

JimKnuckles Android Enthusiast

When having auto brightness on, in direct sunlight the colors on the screen wash out. I'm not sure if this is by design to make the screen easier to see? Or if it's a bug.

Anyone else's screen doing this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Damar1979

Damar1979 Android Enthusiast

I think it's to make the screen easier to see. I noticed it the other day as I was walking in direct sunlight it became lighter than I was accustomed to. But when I walked into an area that sunlight wasn't present, it went back to its original state. I like it

3. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

One review I saw mentioned that they do this on purpose if you are on auto-brightness. Of course auto-brightness will go as high as 750 nits, so that is probably why things are washed out. Making an educated guess here as I don't have the N4 yet.

4. Joshuah22a

Joshuah22a Android Enthusiast

I noticed this today I was like what the hell. My note 3 didn't do this.. isn't that much of an issue though

5. JimKnuckles

if its on purpose, I dont really deem it necessary. I would think there would be some kind of option to turn that off, although i haven't looked through the display settings in detail yet.

I'm surprised this wasnt mentioned in all of the reviews I watched...

6. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

It was mentioned in at least one review I read. However, without seeing it in person, I don't know how "bad" the issue is.

7. ceabbott2

ceabbott2 Well-Known Member

+1

I read about that in two separate articles but I don't own a note 4 so I don't know what it looks like.

8. Muneco

Muneco Newbie

It's normal. Mine does it too. It's actually better if you ask me.

9. JimKnuckles

Okay... Was just wanting to make sure it was supposed to be doing that.

I didn't have a hard time seeing the screen before this new feature, but whatever its no big deal

10. Muneco

Muneco Newbie

You could torn the auto off by sliding the notification bar down and click the auto box to the off setting

11. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

^^^ Correct, turning off auto brightness turns off the super-bright capability. During the day I turn off auto-brightness on my phones and have brightness at full tilt. I will likely play with the auto-brightness in direct sunlight on the N4 (if I get one) just to see if the super-brightness capability is worth using or not. I can see times when it may be useful.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews