• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

com.htc.provider infinite crashing loop.

Pollynator

Lurker
May 27, 2010
Hey guys,

Yesterday afternoon my phone crashed with the "com.htc.provider has stopped unexpectedly". After force closing it Android reboots and then crashes, this happens in a cycle and so I cannot do anything.
This has rendered my phone completely unusable.

Some information:
Phone: HTC Hero

I haven't been using a task killer.
This is a standard Rom.
I cannot access settings as suggested because I cannot actually get into the OS.
I don't consider a factory reset and loosing all my apps, messages etc a viable suggestion as that is plain ******ed.

I have tried:
Taking sim out.
Taking SD Card out.
Took battery out.
Took battery out and left it for about 5 minutes.
Click randomly on screen out of pure frustration.
Almost threw it against a wall.
Raged at HTC.

So after all this... I really need to ask. Am I completely screwed? Is a factory reset the only option here? Any suggestions?

If you're still running 1.5 of the OS, you've found the dreaded 70 app limit issue.

At some point after you've crossed the line of 70 installed apps, you will start to see this issue with most of the core apps failing, basically making the phone unusable. Could be 72 apps, could be 90 apps. I had it occur twice, once at 88 apps and once later at 75.

Once you weed out all the force close errors from the core apps, you should be able to launch the package manager and you'll have to start uninstalling apps.

If you've rooted the device, restoring from a good, recent nandroid backup, may work too, allowing you to cleanly reboot the phone and then begin to uninstall apps.

Bottom line though, just upgrade to OS 2.1, either via a ROM after rooting or officially from HTC. This fixes the 70 app limit bug.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones