1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

com.verizon.messaging.vzmsgs-1.apk

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by savoxis, May 18, 2011.

1. savoxis

savoxis Android Expert

So, I noticed a new messaging app Verizon put out, it is ugly, very "VCast" colored, BUT it is theme-able, no PRO images. AND it doesn't require Mms.apk as a dependency. So unlike most 3rd party messengers it can actually replace stock.

Let me know what you guys think about it

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. k.c.cole

k.c.cole Android Enthusiast

Is it in the verizon market?

3. savoxis

savoxis Android Expert

Yeah, its in the "verizon" section

k.c.cole likes this.
  4. k.c.cole

I'll play with it for a day two, and see if it as good as stock or better. The colors are atrocious, it definitely needs to be themed.

Do you just have to pull apart the apk and change all of the images?

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at it, at least to make a theme to match my phone, but a "dark" version at least would make it better.

Thanks for the heads-up on this, by the way.

5. 220com2

220com2 Newbie

I would definetly use it if it was themed darker, way to bright and colorfull for me. But everything seems to work well otherwise.

6. PowerBomb

PowerBomb Android Enthusiast

Oh cool, I never would have noticed it on my own. Just downloaded it. Seems pretty cool but I can echo the comments about the terrible flashy colors. I trust it won't be long before someone digs in and themes it. I wouldn't mind trying it myself if I knew exactly how.

7. Valkerie

Valkerie Android Enthusiast

It is refreshing after using the stock app for so long, but I do not like the colors.

8. j2cool2012

j2cool2012 Android Enthusiast

Just downloaded, and extracted. Theming begins in 3...2...1...

9. k.c.cole

It seems pretty responsive. I like it's settings. It definitely needs a theme or two. If i can figure out how, I want to try to match it to the Velocicomb theme i made.

10. j2cool2012

Did you say velocicomb (honeycomb) themed? What a coincidence... ;)

k.c.cole likes this.
  11. k.c.cole

So IF you are working on Comb themed version..... I was thinking about trying a Red on black. But! I don't really know how to get to what i need to get at, if you know what I mean. I have Gimp and am pretty familiar with using it. I have 7-zip. Just don't really know what I have to pull out to make this messager more prettier.

12. j2cool2012

I can send you the images... pretty simple... a lot of .9.pngs though.

k.c.cole likes this.
  13. jeckel

jeckel Member

Nice attempt verizon. But not good enough

14. benwalburn

benwalburn Android Enthusiast

Has anyone themed this yet? I'd do it myself but I am clueless as to how to do so (hint hint).

So if I use this, can I delete the stock sms and still get sms and mms, even with other sms apps? Does it have any issues when you do that?

15. j2cool2012

i was theming it, but not enough people seem to be sticking with it to continue...and from what i know..only this app can work without stock, b/c of it being straight from Verizon.

16. benwalburn

Ah, too bad. I'll stick it out as it is, maybe it will get themed, if it doesn't, it isn't that bad. I'm only using it because GO keeps deleting my sms.

17. Vol4One

Vol4One Member

I just installed it and I kinda like it. Better than the default app. I have been using Handcent SMS but, like the other person said, I've had about two or three messages get deleted before I could read them or see who they were from.

18. corypwrs

corypwrs Lurker

I had this same problem with handcent even before rooting. Use the handcent popup and this will almost never happen. As long as you are not in the handcent app it will popup (occasionally it doesnt, usually when using the data connection i.e. facebook app or browser). I also have the widget with counter, or dock icon with counter for LP users, to make sure I dont miss a text if the popup doesnt appear. Doing this i have almost eliminated the "deleting texts" issue.

19. Valkerie

Valkerie Android Enthusiast

I've been using this app since this thread started. was hoping for a themed version, I'd not I'm ok with that.

20. benwalburn

I am attempting a theme. Right now I'm trying to locate the apk lol.
    If someone would kindly point me to the apk location (if it is in /system/app then please tell me what the app name is) and provide a guide to making a flashable theme, that would be very helpful.

21. benwalburn

Ok, I found it finally and have been messing around with the images. How do I make this into a flashable package? I tried googleing it and got nothing.

22. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Android Expert

I would bother with a flashable zip unless you want it as a system app. You can edit the apk and and zip it and sign it and install it as a user app like normal. Also the word bubbles are .9.png, so if you dont edit them right. It will get distorted.

23. j2cool2012

if you send me the zip of what you have, i can convert it for you.

24. benwalburn

Right now i have nothing i want to submit. I'm just messing around, getting some experience. I need a good program to recolor. Do any of you have any suggestions? Free programs, of course.

25. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Android Expert

Gimp for editing, look up how to edit .9 pngs xda probably has info for you.

LG Ally Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews