1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

come laugh at my expense. taken for a ride on a used cellphone purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by nowucme, Dec 22, 2014.

1. nowucme

nowucme Member
    None

Nov 14, 2014
    So ive been in the market for a used mhl capable cell phone so I can use it on my unlimited plan with metro to stream online movies and live tv to my tv.

I figured I go the used route since this line wouldnt get used much like a regular phone anyway (I already have my own cell and plan)

After much research I decided for the price and specs the xperia z would be the way to.go.

Went onto amazon and looked at ones listed in "like new" condition. I wouldnt mind a ding or two so long as they were minor and not on the screen. I picked one from a seller who had all 5 star reviews and only sold maybe a dozen items. Figured it'd be better than buying from a huge cell seller on there and it'd be in good shape since they probably owned it personally.

Anyway I buy this used and it was a little over 200.

It shows up last night....and I knew I was trouble soon as I got the charger out of the box (it came out before the phone) dirty...looked like someone was chewing on the cord previously.

I get to the phone and its a disaster. Dings all up n.down the sides... power button scraped up to hell to the point you had to push it several times to power on.

Oh btw the phone was ON when it came. Not factory reset. It seemed like someone stole it n sold it with nothing it was dirty too. Ports looked like some dust/dirt got in.

Then to top it off I decided to go online and check the imei # just for fun....not blacklisted but apparently the device was financed and the bill wasn't paid off!!

Why lie?

I messaged the seller and said its beat to crap...you listed like new....can't be activated unlike what you told me in the ad because there's an outstanding bill on the device

Their response "sorry I didn't know...send it back for refund"

Smh! Wtf man?

Advertisement

2. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2012
    Male
    Full time student, Part time McDonalds crew
    Chicago IL
    haha, wow. That's terrible. That's why when I go and buy a phone, I'll only buy new.

3. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    For something like that I'd actually rather go through eBay. Pretty much all disputes are settled in favor of the buyer and the sellers really care about their ratings since most people will only buy from sellers with a near perfect rating.

4. AMOCO

AMOCO The Computer Guy

Mar 10, 2012
    Male
    Computer Tech.
    Colorado Springs,CO.
    Sorry to hear that and at least your getting a refund.And I also only go and buy new.

5. nowucme

nowucme Member
    None

Nov 14, 2014
    I normally buy new as well. That was my first attempt to buy a used phone. I decided so I could save some $ because im really only using it for viewing purposes via mhl and all mhl phones are $$$ or not very good.

After I get the refund I do intend to go the ebay route especially because I know there sellers who give a damn can be found.

Plus if the price is right I might opt for the zperia x ultra (6.4 inch screen which makes it double as a tablet in many ways)

6. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    Also check Swappa, many use that also, especially over at XDA

I also usually buy from eBay, and buy from buyers with 100% with over at least 100 feedbacks. Don't be scared to ask the seller questions before you purchase, to make sure you have all the facts about the device first. This way you have it recorded in your messages from eBay and if you have an issue gives you even more credence.

codesplice and Gmash like this.
  7. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Seconding the Swappa recommendation - I've bought and sold a few used devices on there without any trouble. The site is run by some device enthusiasts who do a great job of making sure everyone (buyer AND seller) gets treated fairly. :thumbsupdroid: