• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Comfort" foods

rootabaga

Android Expert
Aug 11, 2014
Crazyville, CA
As some of you know, I recently lost my mom to injuries she suffered in a car accident.

And the phrase "comfort foods" keeps coming back to mind. People always talk about comfort foods but since her accident nothing has sounded good, much less pizza, burgers, shakes, lasagna, fried (whatever), ice cream, etc. In fact, generally speaking, for the last two and a half weeks I've eaten pretty healthy (not enough, really, but when I've eaten it's mostly been healthy; in fact I quit drinking diet soda due largely to some things I read about artificial sweeteners affecting digestion; all I've been drinking is coffee, water and a little juice.)

So what gives? Am I just weird, or do most people when they are sad/grieving reach for "comfort" foods?

Not weird at all. In fact, where I am from(Utah originally), we are stereotypically huge fans of Funeral Potatoes. Basically a potatoe casserole. Definitely a comfort food in my book. I'll eat it any day of the week though.

But you're definitely ahead of the game in giving up soda. I'm trying desperately to do that, but I haven't been able to for any meaninful period of time.

Upvote 0
As some of you know, I recently lost my mom to injuries she suffered in a car accident.

And the phrase "comfort foods" keeps coming back to mind. People always talk about comfort foods but since her accident nothing has sounded good, much less pizza, burgers, shakes, lasagna, fried (whatever), ice cream, etc. In fact, generally speaking, for the last two and a half weeks I've eaten pretty healthy (not enough, really, but when I've eaten it's mostly been healthy; in fact I quit drinking diet soda due largely to some things I read about artificial sweeteners affecting digestion; all I've been drinking is coffee, water and a little juice.)

So what gives? Am I just weird, or do most people when they are sad/grieving reach for "comfort" foods?
No, you're not weird at all. (At least not for this. :D) After my mom died last year I really struggled to eat. Nothing looked good or sounded good. And anything that reminded me of her made me sad, like favorite foods of hers. I think what you're experiencing is just a perfectly normal part of the grieving process. The thing is that you really need to make the effort to eat, because getting run down and feeling like crap physically won't help anything. So choose your foods wisely, getting the most nutrition possible from whatever you feel up to eating. And if something comes to mind that happens to be junk food, but it'll make you feel better. go for it. :)

Upvote 0
I hear in these situations.. alcohol is the only comfort food... but only helpful when consumed with friends.

yeah.. you are going through the normal steps from your great loss.
depression would be normal in this situation.
it might help for you to let your mind and body to morn... by eating the foods that remind you of her. the foods she cooked for you and the ones that she loves...
these are your "comfort foods".

take care... be strong.. she is watching over you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones