• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

coming from 3G to 4G

ebrperk

Feb 27, 2010
kansas
I recently upgraded to the Razr M from the DINC2. I love the phone but my data seems to used up incredibly fast. I was on unlimited before the upgrade a used about a gig a month. Now I use about a gig every five days and I haven't used the phone any different than I used my DINC2, browsing the web about twenty minutes a day, watching a couple of movies on Netflix, checking email ten times a day. does anybody else have the same issues?? I contacted Verizon but got the " Thats just the way it is" response. I cant believe that 4G uses that much more data than 3G, I expected some increase but not that much. any suggestions would be appreciatted:thinking:

What size is your data plan? I use wifi as much as possible now that I went from the 4gb to 2gb plan. But I hardly ever watch movies. When I had the 4gb plan, I never went over it but I mostly surf, email, watch youtube videos and sometimes watched Crackle stuff.

Luckily for me, the wife hardly use data, she's the talker and having unlimited talk is a blessing for her.

Just some thoughts!

Upvote 0
Yeah, my wife hardly ever used any data, she is a text-er and a talker so unlimited talk and text is good for her. I had a two gig plan till yesterday and my wife upgraded to a four gig plan since we cant figure out how we are using so much data. My data usage app says that removed apps had used 777 mb in the last seven day. I have disabled Google plus and all the Verizon preinstalled apps. :thinking:

Upvote 0
If you are so inclined you can disable 4g (LTE) and use 3g by first typing *#*#4636#*#* into the dial pad and then scrolling down, and changing the "set preferred network type:" dropdown from the default "LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA" to "CDMA auto (PRL)"

You can of course go back into that menu by typing *#*#4636#*#* again, and just switch the dropdown back to LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA if you want LTE back.

there's also a widget called Onavo which will tell you exactly how much data each app and service on your phone is using, so you can tell if something is running in the background and wasting a lot of your data, and then take appropriate action. Onavo is listed on a bunch of lists of "10 best android apps" and such, it's really good. It will also alert you immediately if an app you download is known to be a "data hog", etc.

Reactions: ebrperk
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones