• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coming from a Droid Incredible

Ladera

Mar 17, 2010
I currently have an HTC Incredible. I'm still very happy with the phone overall but I would like a bigger screen and 4G. I'm very interested in the Bionic but I have two possible concerns at this point:

1.) I went to a VZW store today to play with a Droid 3 to get an idea of what the Bionic UI will likely be like. I don't dislike the UI but I did notice the phone seemed to lag a bit and didn't seem as snappy as my incredible. Do you guys think the extra RAM in the bionic will solve that problem? Or is it more of a UI problem?

2.) I'm not sure if it's the screen or the icons but the Droid 3 and the X2 screens seem a little dull to me. The screens don't seem bad, it's just that I really liked the icons and the overall screen on the LG Revolution as a comparison. I also feel like my Droid Incredible screen seemed a bit better (although smaller). It might just be the icon pack that is used. The icons seem a bit smaller/duller to me.

I haven't gotten to play an awful lot with the Droid 3 except when setting one up for a customer, but we do have a live DX2. I've never noticed any lag on the D3, but I def do on the DX2 (despite my colleagues thinking I'm nuts).

HTC Sense is def a pretty seamless and incredibly (pardon the pun) fluid UI. I'd say the DInc is more fluid in that respect than the DX2, and the both have 512mb of RAM. However, Sense 3.0 on the Sensation and MyTouch 4G Slide is the smoothest thing I've ever seen, there's no lag whatsoever, and it's simply beautiful (wow, I really just said this in a diff post, lol).

When I have gotten to play with the D3, it's been very smooth, more so than the DX2. If they made any improvements from the DX2 to the D3, I'd imagine it'd be even better on the Bionic.

Upvote 0
Hey, I will be coming from a Droid Incredible as well.
I can't answer #1 but as for #2 Motorola uses a screen called "pentile" which IS duller than what we have. There's a big thread of it here: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-bionic/395355-pentile-screen-really-bad.html
I have a very sharp eye so stuff like that does bother me. It's annoying really. I wish I didn't care about small stuff like screen quality.

Also, I heard that the GPS for Motorola phones are not as good as other smartphones.

As for me, unless I hear RAVE reviews about the Bionic upon release... I will be waiting for the HTC Vigor (which is rumored to come out about a month after the Bionic release).

Upvote 0
You might as well wait another month, (since you are a HTC user) and compare the Bionic and the Vigor...then make your choice. This is my plan. If the Vigor does indeed have a 720HD screen (and you mentioned a concern about screens), you may prefer that phone over the Bionic. This could highly sway me away from the Bionic. You know the Sense 3.5 is going to be way better than the new Blur. My biggest concern for the Vigor, is whether HTC has done anything about battery life. This seems to be one area that HTC lacks in; and MOTO seems to have invested some additional R&D to improve that with the LTE radio.

We'll just have to wait and see and compare.

Upvote 0
I've come to terms with having to charge my phone everyday. Sometimes twice a day if I use the GPS or browse vigorously, but doesn't that go for every phone?
shrug.gif

Upvote 0
Hey, I will be coming from a Droid Incredible as well.
I can't answer #1 but as for #2 Motorola uses a screen called "pentile" which IS duller than what we have. There's a big thread of it here: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-bionic/395355-pentile-screen-really-bad.html
I have a very sharp eye so stuff like that does bother me. It's annoying really. I wish I didn't care about small stuff like screen quality.

Also, I heard that the GPS for Motorola phones are not as good as other smartphones.

As for me, unless I hear RAVE reviews about the Bionic upon release... I will be waiting for the HTC Vigor (which is rumored to come out about a month after the Bionic release).
The Incredible uses a Pentile Matrix as well. Your eye can't be that good if you haven't noticed it. Just saying. :)

Upvote 0
Isn't PenTile different from different manufacturers? I thought Moto's implementation was the worst? The screen on a D3 looks fuzzy and dull to me too.
I'm not sure if it has something to do with the fact that the Incredible uses Pentile while using an AMOLED screen vs Motorola using Pentile with normal LCD screens. The Pentile arrangement is the same, only 2 subpixels vs 3 normally, so something else besides the layout is different. Even at 4.3'', a qHD screen has 35% more pixels than a 480x800 display, with only a 17% increase in size over the Incredible's 3.7'' screen. Motorola's screen should actually be clearer and less grainy looking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones