• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coming from an Eris. What to expect?

The lack of a physical navigation button is something that frustrated me when I bought it.

The current implementation works okay. I guess I was somewhat used to it coming from an iPhone, which uses a similar style magnifying glass to place the cursor, so it wasn't a downgrade for me and I can use it proficiently.

My primary frustration with it on the X is the lack of consistency. Sometimes you can get the magnifying glass, but sometimes you'll have a text field that arbitrarily doesn't support the whole text selection/bullseye cursor/magnifying glass deal. When I can get the magnifying glass, it is adequate. Only adequate, but still - it works.

Would far prefer a navigation device. Given the size of the phone compared to the size of the screen, though, I'm not sure where they'd put one without making the phone at least a quarter inch bigger, though!

Upvote 0
I know with my eris, I rarely use the trackball....as in...I only play with it to slide home screens when I'm bored and to click pictures with the camera.

I feel the icons and everything is spaced out enough there isn't really a use. Even one the Eris' smaller screen, I can usually click links without a hitch (I use Dolphin)

Upvote 0
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. I fear soon Blackberry will be the only device with a trackball, and those're never going to be am option.

Totally understand the concern, and yes, with texting on the Eris, if you want to get to the middle of the word, its hard to get between the right letters sometimes without the trackball. However, the Droid X magnifies and shows where the pointer is for easier navigation to your spot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones