1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Coming from the Eris, what should I think about?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TheAtheistReverend, Jun 1, 2011.

1. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Feb 24, 2010
    EMT
    Minneapolis
    I have an Eris with the trackball issue and want to move up in the world. I have been thinking about the DInc2 since I was fawning over the original. I have worries about rootability since the Eris had such a large following and a lot of Dev support when it finally got rooted but the DInc2 doesn't seen to have quite the same numbers (I know it is still new). I hear good things about the battery life and speed, and I do see a couple familiar faces over here but I am just hoping for some input from you.
    What phone did you come from and why did you get the DInc2? How long have you had it? What are you happy with? What are you dissapointed about? How does it compare to your previous phone? How?
    Since this is only my second Android phone I would like to know if I can still use things like LauncherPro, what is temproot and can I do anything besides "freeze" a few apps? Can I install root-only apps with temp-root?
    Anything else you think I should consider coming from the Eris (all you ex-Eris lovers)?

Thank you all in advance for your input. I hope to be joining you here in the coming days.

Advertisement

2. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    L'Etoile du Nord
    I came over from a rooted Eris ... and I don't miss a thing, well almost nothing. I rooted my Eris because it was so damn slow, not the case with the Inc2 ... its amazing how much faster it is then the Eris. The battery life is far and away better than the Eris. No need to worry about the track ball issue since this phone doesn't have one. I miss Titanium Backup since we don't have root but that's about it. Wireless teather was nice with root, but I only used it a couple times in nearly 2 years.

I use LauncherPro Plus and do not have any problems with it. The phone has quite a lot of bloated ware, but I just hide those apps from the app drawer.

I souls highly recommend this phone to an Eris user. If you have any questions just let me know

TheAtheistReverend likes this.
  3. nuke21

nuke21 Newbie
    None

May 14, 2011
    I was an Eris user. That was my last phone. I broke it twice, and had to replace a screen myself from ebay parts. The Eris would freeze up and stop working and just be so slow and stupid it drove me over the edge twice, and I destroyed the phone. It takes a LOT to get me mad and the Eris really knew what buttons to push. I bought the Incredible 2 and I love it. Advance Task Killer doesn't work on the Incredible 2(It says it shut down the application but it doesn't), but the Incredible 2 is still 10x faster, even with all the apps running in the background. I haven't even contemplated on throwing this one yet.

4. AliceBToklas

AliceBToklas Member
    None

May 11, 2011
    IT
    NC
    temp-root allows you to 'temporarily root' the phone for certain purposes. This goes away upon a reboot. The only purpose I've found for it so far is to run Bloat Freezer to get all those apps out of the way (and stopped from running). Done right they stay gone even after a reboot.

I generally liked my Eris but the performance really started getting on my nerves. I couldn't be happier with the Inc2. The larger screen and faster performance (oh, + better battery life) are both huge upgrades from the Eris. If you look around you'll see there are (as almost always) a few bugs but nothing really major - except for those with the dialer problems but I think there are ways around that. I've not had that particular problem so haven't really kept up with the details.

5. TheAtheistReverend

Feb 24, 2010
    EMT
    Minneapolis

The best complement I have heard yet for this phone :D

So, no reception issues for any of you? The lack of physical buttons hasn't bothered you?

I'm starting to get a little excited about getting this phone. Then I can just use my Eris as an mp3 player after disabling the trackball...

6. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    L'Etoile du Nord
    The lack of physical buttons bothered me for about a day ... Got used to this setup quickly

7. TheAtheistReverend

Feb 24, 2010
    EMT
    Minneapolis
    Thanks Y'all for your input! I ordered my DInc2 yesterday and should be getting it on Monday. I am excited to see what this thing can do, and I will be rooting for those who are trying to root it. Mainly to get rid of bloat, but maybe also for the tethering and few apps that require root.

8. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    L'Etoile du Nord
    Congrats and welcome

9. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Enjoy the new phone. I have the original Dinc and was tempted to step up to the Dinc2. Just not quite enough of a jump for me. But from an Eris I think it would be a great move. Might be for a Dinc too lol.