• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Coming from the HTC One M8, What new smartphone should I buy?

techsavvy01

Sep 27, 2014
New Jersey USA
I'm coming from the HTC One M8 and I am looking for a new smartphone to buy. What new smartphone should I buy? I need your help guys. I liked how the HTC One M8 had front speakers and they sounded great but now the Moto X Pure Edition's speakers sound way better than the M8's speakers. The Moto X Pure Edition speakers sound a lot louder and more clearer than the M8's speakers. I am considering buying the Moto X Pure Edition because of the great front speakers. However I do have some gripes with the Moto X Pure Edition that make me not want to buy the Moto X Pure Edition. 1 gripe is that the Moto X Pure Edition is a big phone. The Moto X Pure Edition is even bigger than the HTC One M8. The M8 has a 5 inch screen and the Moto X Pure Edition has a 5.7 inch screen. I really don''t want a big phone because my hands are not the biggest to hold a 5.7 inch phone. The 2nd gripe is the Moto X Pure Edition can not record 1080p 60fps video. Why is that? The HTC One M8 can record 1080p 60fps and the Moto X pure Edition can not. I do not understand that. 3rd gripe is that the Moto X pure Edition does not have a Notification Led Light. The HTC One M8 has a notification led light, why does the moto x pure edition not have a notification led light? Please someone explain that to me. Another gripe for me is that the Moto X pure Edition is powered by the Snapdragon 808 processor. The HTC One M8 is powered by a Snapdragon 801 processor. The performance difference between the 808 and the 801 is not much. I have seen benchmarks online of the M8 and the Moto X Pure Edition and the Moto X scored 51401 on Antutu benchmark and the M8 scored 44284 on Antutu benchmark. The Moto X Pure Edition scored 1248 single core and 3361 multi core in Geekbench 3. The M8 scored 975 single core and 2976 multi core in Geekbench 3. The Adreno 418 is not that much more powerful than the Adreno 330 in gaming. Is the Adreno 418 better than the Adreno 330? Is the Snapdragon 808 better than the Snapdragon 801? There really is not a huge performance difference between the HTC One M8 and the Moto X Pure Edition, or is there a performance difference? The Moto X Pure Edition suffers from thermal throttling when doing heavy tasks and benchmarks. I haven't seen the M8 thermal throttle on heavy tasks or benchmarks. I have also looked at the Nexus 6P but that phone is even bigger and taller than the M8 and Moto X Pure Editon. The Nexus 6P also can't record 1080P 60fps video. I also heard the Nexus 6P video stabilization is really bad. So I am really not sure which phone to buy. Are there better phones out there than the Moto X Pure Editon and Nexus 6P? I'm saying are there better phones that don't have the same drawbacks as the Moto X Pure Edition and Nexus 6P have?

The HTC One m9+ supreme camera edition. It is what HTC should have had released, instead of the one m9. You could also get the one m9+. The supreme camera edition, has a better rear camera. No overheating. Seems to play full 3d games without problems. Plays all my emulators without problems. Speakers sound quality is amazing! I love hearing music on this phone. Video/movie playback is also top-notch. 5.2 inch screen. Light weight.

HTC One m9+ is only available in Asia and Europe. You'll have to order it online for the US. The one m9+ supreme camera edition, is only available in Taiwan (China and Hong Kong via online). I believe (if I remember correctly), the supreme camera edition is like $750 or less.

http://m.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m9+_supreme_camera-7591.php

http://www.willmyphonework.net/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's a phone, and it's not the last phone you will get in your life. Get what you like. That's the most important. There is no right answer.

I totally get what you're saying androidmachine, but I just want to make sure I get the best phone for me, I'm not saying the perfect phone for me, but a greater phone better than the M8.

Upvote 0
Yea, few months and a whole host on new devices will be announced.
I have G4 and I think it's great, camera on it is brilliant and sound quality is best I've heard yet IMO and more than powerful enough processor. but it really is each to their own. Go into the shops and try a few out, see what you like.
But the market will soon be flooded with the next flagships which will bring the current ones prices down, and in theory, should be better than the ones currently out.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Yea, few months and a whole host on new devices will be announced.
I have G4 and I think it's great, camera on it is brilliant and sound quality is best I've heard yet IMO and more than powerful enough processor. but it really is each to their own. Go into the shops and try a few out, see what you like.
But the market will soon be flooded with the next flagships which will bring the current ones prices down, and in theory, should be better than the ones currently out.

Yeah the LG G4 looks like a great phone. What do you think about the Moto XPE? Would you buy the Moto XPE? Is it a gripe for you that the Moto XPE can't record 1080p 60fps video?

Upvote 0
Well, what is your budget and what is your timeframe? Like mentioned above, if you can wait, you will see some better phones available.

In order for us to help you, you need to also mention how much you are willing to spend.

My budget is under $500. So I was looking at the Moto XPE 32GB. The Moto XPE 32GB is only $449.

Upvote 0
It's unlikely that the perfect device i.e. one that meets all your requirements exists yet, so you're going to have to decide on priorities. What's more important, the sound quality from the external speakers or the 1080p video frame rate? Is a notification LED essential?

The performance difference between the 808 and the 801 is not much.

Synthetic benchmarks tell very little, other than how one SOC performs a specific set of tests against another. The 801 is a 32-bit quad-core, whereas the 808 is a 64-bit hexa-core utilising big.LITTLE architecture. The latter will likely be more efficient in day-to-day i.e. "normal" usage.

There's no simple answer to your question because only you can determine what's important and what's not. :)

Upvote 0
It's unlikely that the perfect device i.e. one that meets all your requirements exists yet, so you're going to have to decide on priorities. What's more important, the sound quality from the external speakers or the 1080p video frame rate? Is a notification LED essential?

Synthetic benchmarks tell very little, other than how one SOC performs a specific set of tests against another. The 801 is a 32-bit quad-core, whereas the 808 is a 64-bit hexa-core utilising big.LITTLE architecture. The latter will likely be more efficient in day-to-day i.e. "normal" usage.

There's no simple answer to your question because only you can determine what's important and what's not. :)

I guess front facing speakers aren't the most important thing about a phone. I am going to have to give up the front facing speakers. I will just have to use my headphones. I do want 1080p 60fps video and notification led light. Hey slug I see what you're saying. The snapdragon 808 is more powerful than the snapdragon 801.

Upvote 0
Phones are commodity items, and selections are limited by the carrier unless you buy an unlocked unit. That said, I would recommend picking one with the latest 64-bit quad-core processor (if not an 8-core) and upsize the memory to at least 64 GB. I replaced a 4 year old dual-core earlier this year, and the download speed and app launches are incredibly fast.

New phones -- except for Apple that does its own thing whenever Tim Cook and company feels like it -- are typically announced and exhibited at the annual Mobile World Congress (MWC: http://www.mobileworldcongress.com) Barcelona; the next one is February 22-26, 2016. Those new products typically appear in the carriers' stores between late March and May. If you are looking for the latest and greatest in your next purchase, wait to see what the MWC reveals. Live coverage is typically offered by Bloomberg West, C|Net, and BBC's show "Click" (among others). If you are looking to save money, this is time of the year to look for closeout pricing of models being discontinued or upgraded.

Upvote 0
I am going to have to give up the front facing speakers. I will just have to use my headphones.

You don't have to give them up, but a decent pair of headphones will always trump phone speakers for sound quality anyway.

I do want 1080p 60fps video and notification led light.

See? You've immediately made your decision easier by narrowing the available choices. :)

I see what you're saying. The snapdragon 808 is more powerful than the snapdragon 801.

Read it again... I said no such thing. ;)

Upvote 0
You don't have to give them up, but a decent pair of headphones will always trump phone speakers for sound quality anyway.

See? You've immediately made your decision easier by narrowing the available choices. :)

Read it again... I said no such thing. ;)

Oh so, is the snapdragon 808 more powerful than the snapdragon 801. How much of a performance improvement is there? I am just wondering :)

Upvote 0
is the snapdragon 808 more powerful than the snapdragon 801.

Define "more powerful".

The 801 has a max clock freq of 2.5GHz, the 808 is 2.0GHz. So on paper the 801 is "faster". Yet your OP states

the Moto X Pure Edition and the Moto X scored 51401 on Antutu benchmark and the M8 scored 44284 on Antutu benchmark. The Moto X Pure Edition scored 1248 single core and 3361 multi core in Geekbench 3. The M8 scored 975 single core and 2976 multi core in Geekbench 3

which makes the 808 the better performer.

How much of a performance improvement is there? I am just wondering :)

In Real Life (tm)? I'd be surprised if you were able to notice one. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones