1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Coming From the iPhone 4, the Battery Life on the SGS2 Stinks!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jw nyc, Jun 15, 2011.

1. jw nyc

jw nyc Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    I'll preface this post by saying I'm a very heavy mobile user as I have 3 push email accounts, get a ton of text/whatsapp messages and use my phone for reading RSS feeds and browsing the web throughout each day. That being said, I'm quite surprised at how poor the battery life is on my new Galaxy S2. I've tried calibrating the battery by running it all the way down and charging it to 100% twice but I'm still having the same results. I'm coming from an iPhone 4 which had a pretty good battery life and got me through most days but if I'm not near a charger, my GS2 will be dead by around 3pm. Is there anything I can do to increase battery life (without making my screen brightness close to nothing)? Any other tips I should know about? Thanks.

Advertisement

ravinder820 likes this.
  2. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    I am probably not quite such a heavy user as you but I still find the battery runs flat fairly quickly.

I start to get symptoms of withdrawal if I have to spend more than 30 minutes without internet access so I have bought an external battery that can charge the phone up again if necessary (see [​IMG]Mini Portable USB Power Bank External Battery Charger | eBay UK - mine cost

3. Burner2004

Burner2004 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Male
    Lawyer
    Hello, well I use 5 corporate mail accounts and 3 personal ones. The Biggest Battery spender is the Wifi and 3G. I text and average amount a day and I use internet 3G or Wifi at least 3-4 hours a day. The real trick for me was NOT the brightness of the screen. The real trick comes from a combination between the Display settings and Live wallpapers settings.
    I followed these 3 tips and my battery life because from 6h to 26h, I cannot believe it but I recharge almost every 2days. I also play games as AIR Attack, Contract Killer, Racing and some else.

1) I read somewhere that if you use dark wallpaper live it will help (and it did). I'm currently using "inferno Galaxy" live wallpaper (which you can find in market).
    2) In settings display you go to background effect and there I put "Standard"
    3) I switch off my wireless in general and I start it every 1h for 5min to get my messages and reply (I agree that's not a solution - but until they develop nuclear powered batteries , this beast of a phone GS2 is having small battery life).
    I forgot to mention I have my brightness on max (auto) and never turned it down, because most days I need it.
    Today my phone it has been out of the charger for 8h and I have 85% battery left. I suggest you play a lot with the settings of display/brightness/wireless and in 2-3 days you will find what suits you.

4. jw nyc

jw nyc Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    A few things.

1. What most people don't understand about 3G (WCDMA) is that it's not just for Internet. When you're on 3G your voice quality will also be significantly better and can penetrate buildings (I'm in NYC) MUCH better so turning it off isn't an option.

2. I've don't use live wallpaper for that reason and I've changed my background to a dark colored one.

3. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that you've been on battery only for 8 hours and are only down to 85% with 8 push email accounts. I'd love to see a screenshot b/c I simply don't believe that.

I may be forced to get a second battery but does anyone know if there is a dock that charges the device as well as a second battery simultaneously?

5. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    video editor
    Charlotte, NC
    just wanted to say that Inferno Galaxy live wallpaper is amazing :)

6. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    I thought it was pretty nifty too but it just seemed to suck up too much juice so sadly, it had to go.

7. ajh94

ajh94 Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Orange Telecomunications, Product marketing!
    Essex, UK
    Android battery life always is worse than iOS - but then the iPhone 4 is nowhere near as powerful as the amazing SGSII