1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Coming from Windows Phone.......

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pastorhulf, May 13, 2016.

1. pastorhulf

pastorhulf Lurker
    None

May 6, 2016
    Male
    I need some help. I have been using Windows Phone for a long time and before that I was using iPhone. So what are the essential apps? What are the best apps and games?

I don't know why it took me so long to come over to Android. The S7 Edge is beautifully made, snappy, the camera is great and my gosh that screen it amazing!

Anyway I would be grateful for any help

Advertisement

2. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Welcome!

It is really hard to answer "essential/best apps" because it varies depending on what we like/use.
    Several of us here will highly recommend using the Google's equivalent app versus the Samsung equivalent.

Example: OK Google, versus S-Voice. Google calendar versus S-Calendar and so on. Just because the Google equivalent ones are more user friendly, less bloated, and more "open". And most Google apps are synced to your Google account, so they are backed up anyway.

I'm sure there are folks that prefer the Samsung equivalent - but that's the good thing about Android - you get to choose :)
    • I'd suggest enabling Google Now, and Now on Tap.
    • For Email, I use the Inbox App (by Google) - but the Gmail app has its own benefits - equally good.
    • I'd highly recommend using Google Photos app, and enabling the auto-backup feature to upload at "High quality" to your Gmail account, when on WiFi (if you have unlimited mobile data, you can enable it on mobile data too). High quality option gives you unlimited storage on your google account.
    • Google Maps is excellent (you can use Nokia Here too if you want offline navigation)
    Once you get familiar with what your phone can do, you may want to look at Tasker to automate some tasks.

Lots of options - discover what you like. Be careful though - do not download apps that require a lot of permissions that don't make sense - example: If a flashlight app wants access to your contacts and calendar and phone logs, don't download it.

Snakeyeskm likes this.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    You can still also use some services you've used in Windows. I use OneDrive for my photos for example.

Snakeyeskm and jj14x like this.
  4. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Try out Nova launcher. Far superior to the OEM version.
    Try out swiftkey keyboard. Swiping and prediction capability is superb.

5. pastorhulf

pastorhulf Lurker
    None

May 6, 2016
    Male
    Thanks guys!! Still using my MS services so OneDrive for photos and docs. Swiftkey is great!!! Any.do and Cal also seem pretty nice.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.