1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Coming: Lost Phone App from Google

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by SiempreTuna, Aug 5, 2013.

1. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    Just saw this story which states that:

.. 'bout time, too really. I know there are lots of services out there that do this, but it really ought to be part of the OS - IMHO, anyway :D

Advertisement

2. rabidhunter

rabidhunter Android Expert
    None

Jan 23, 2012
    Male
    Banker
    Illinois
    That would be great, it's a useful and handy feature. ElGoog is really stepping things up, which is a great thing.

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Android Expert
    VIP Member

I use Cerberus now and really like it.

I'll try this when it's available, I hope it can turn GPS on when activated, I don't leave mine on all the time so Cerberus is sort of useless for locating my phone. I'm not rooted so no app can fire up GPS...it would be an excellent option if this new one does!

Cerberus allows me to connect all my lines to one account, that would be another plus for the Google one.

4. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    :ditto:
    While the only time I've had to use Cerberus was to double check I forgot my phone in the car (parked a couple blocks away), it's nice to have and worth the $ (unlike some apps which require a monthly fee).
    I don't believe you can remotely turn on GPS (I've looked), but I leave mine on all the time and don't see a hit in battery life. :)
    Two things I love about it: you can hide it from the app drawer so folks who find/steal your phone don't know it's there. Also, if rooted, you can install it as a system app so nearly impossible to uninstall unless you're a savvy hacker.
    After Swiftkey and Nova Prime, this is the best paid app out there; and let's hope I never have to use it! ;)

With all that said, I hope Google really does bake this into the OS like iOS has done since forever. They're kings of Maps, this seems like it shouldn't be too hard.

5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Android Expert
    VIP Member

I'm not worried about the battery, I just don't understand why my local news app needs to know where I am :rolleyes:
    I'm not all tinfoil hatty but some apps just don't need to know where I am and should let me disable location services (some do, some don't). Sure, I like it on for Raindar but not for local news...the news doesn't change based on my location!

6. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    Actually, news does change based on locality. A local news app will check location and pull up relevant articles for the area rust you are currently in. This matters more for those who travel and can be disabled in many apps.