• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coming Over from the S4

Muilisx

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hello,

I just returned my S4 via FedEx to MetroPCS. I just can't fathom $600. Well, $550 after rebate as tax was $50, but it's still a lot of money. Now, the S3 is $350 after rebate, so $400 now, which is $150-200 cheaper than the S4. The S4 was a great phone, but the extra money to me doesn't justify the extra features. Yes, the smart features were cool, but will I use them? Probably not. The camera was pretty good, but it was default at 9.6MP(16:9) while the 13MP mode was only 4:3. I would of probably stuck with the 9.6MP(16:9). Now, the S3 has a 8MP camera which also does 1080P HD recording which to me is more than enough, and it looks like the S3 has more internal space available to the user than the S4. The S3 has a 1.5Ghz Dual Core while the S4 has a 1.9Ghz Quad Core. I really don't think I would feel the difference between the two as I would never be doing anything that would require 4 cores. The S3's 1.5Ghz Dual Core is most likely still pretty darn fast. The S3 still packs a good punch for sure, and I think a black phone would make me happier over a white phone too. I won't be doing anything until I receive my refund from MetroPCS, but I'm most likely going with the S3. If it wasn't the S3, it would be the LG F3, the LG F6, or the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit, but out of those 3, I rather the S3 for sure. I'm excited to be part of the S3 team.

Yeah, I'm 100% sure that the S3 will fit me better than the S4. The S3 is still a awesome phone. The only downside now is waiting for my refund before buying the S3. I hate for MetroPCS to find a reason not to refund my money. The phone is in PRISTINE condition with less than 60 minutes of talk time. I only talked on it for like 10 minutes. Even if they wanted to mess around, I would contact the credit card company I used, and dispute the charge, but I'll wait to see what happens.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm 100% sure that the S3 will fit me better than the S4. The S3 is still a awesome phone. The only downside now is waiting for my refund before buying the S3. I hate for MetroPCS to find a reason not to refund my money. The phone is in PRISTINE condition with less than 60 minutes of talk time. I only talked on it for like 10 minutes. Even if they wanted to mess around, I would contact the credit card company I used, and dispute the charge, but I'll wait to see what happens.

They have two phones now from me being processed for a refund. I was cheap and bought the Alcatel One Touch Fierce for $29 after MIB. It was a decent phone, speed was decent, but the camera SUCKED. No Auto Focus, and no LTE either. The camera in picture mode was decent, it was really was, but as soon as you hit record for video, everything went dark as hell, and quality just DROPPED. I don't take too many pictures or videos, but if I need to which usually is the case, I at least want a decent camera, and the S3 can definitely deliver that. Credit card companies fight for YOU so I could honestly order the S3 now and if for any reason Metro gives me a hard time on a refund as they don't want to lose $600, I will easily fight it with the credit card company I used.

I actually had a issue with MetroPCS a few years ago. Long story short, I bought the Huawei Accend which was $160 or something like that. Well, after only a few hours, the phone bricked itself. Yes, you heard me right. I did not root it, I was simply installing apps from the play store which was the google store back then or something like that. I rebooted the phone for whatever reason and I was stuck in a severe boot loop. it would show the LG logo, then show MetroPCS, and then it would restart back to the LG logo. I was actually pretty upset as I just spend almost $200 on a crappy phone but at that time I needed it. The store I bought it from was a authorized dealer but refused to take the phone back, and told me to try a corporate location because of the BS " Metro Promise ". I went to the corporate location, and the only thing they could do was give me a refurb phone. Now, I'm Jewish, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, but paying full price for a brand new phone, and then being given a refurb PISSED ME OFF! I ended up contacting the credit card company, and at that time, I believe I used my Capital One. It took a good 3 months or so, but I did get credited back the money through Capital One. That was a few years ago in FL, and I'll never go back to that specific MetroPCS store again. Completely unprofessional. The receipt clearly said 30 day money back guarantee, but the store refused to refund me the phone. I honestly could of probably sued them for false advertisement, but Capital one was really nice, and the person totally understood me, and I have excellent credit, and I strive to keep all my credit cards in good standing. I currently have 10 credit lines. There is actually no right or wrong number of how many credit cards or credit lines you should have. I read online, if you want more cards, get more cards, and if you want less cards, have less cards. There's a lot of people out there to swear that credit cards are bad, and you should never have one, but that is complete bull. If you're mature enough to handle your credit, then by all means, do so. Building credit is actually one of the easiest things to do. My first credit card was Capital One, the card I used for the phone story above, and that is considered a starter card, and my CL is $1,000 with them which is my lowest credit line. I've tried to increase it but I spoke to several supervisors, and the only way to raise my CL with Capital One would be to open another account with them with a different type of card. I'm not sure why my credit limit can not be increased with this specific Capital One card, but it's ok because I have much higher limits on my other cards. The card I used for the S4 was my Chase Freedom Card which I got a couple months ago, with no APR for 15 months. I wouldn't mind applying for a new Capital One card, but I recently opened 3 cards. A Citi Simplicity Card, a Discover It Card, and a Chase Freedom card, so I won't be opening any other credit lines for a while as those were credit pulls. My FICO is currently 738 which isn't bad at all. I'm real anal with my credit. I never forget a due date, I'm always on top of my payments, and I'm sure my score will increase more. The Chase Freedom is what I used for the S4 which is 0% APR for 15 months, but I've recently used them for cash advances equaling $500+ which was paid in full a few days later so just in case I actually do need to dispute the S4, I'm sure they won't have a issue because of my payment history, and they know I'm a good customer. I always pay on time, if not, I pay a few days early, so my history with all my card are great, and all my cards are in excellent standing.

I'm excited to get the S3. I know it's blueish but I rather a blueish black phone over the white. I'm a little upset because I did already order hybrid cases for the S4, but according to the description, it should fit the S3 as the screen is only 0.2" smaller. I did waste time and money by buying 2 other phones before the S3, but it's hard to shop online sometimes when you can't try and test things out. Just like clothes, I never buy clothes online because I'm the type of person who needs to try certain things on, which is easier sometimes than buying stuff online, and having to send stuff back. I recently bought awesome sweaters online from Dicks Sporting goods. It was Black Friday, and they had $60 sweaters for $25, Nike, so I bought 2 Large, and their Large ended up feeling like Mediums, so I brought them to the store for a exchange, but they didn't have the same colors in the store as they did online, so he told me he would give me a refund, and I would have to buy the new ones online at full price, and then go back and get the difference refunded to me. That seemed like a PIA so I never bought replacements. That's just an example of how buying clothes online can be a disaster sometimes. My phone before all of this was the LG Motion 4G which I absolutely LOVED. I only paid $99 for it, and was able to get on Metro's limited unlimited plan for $55 a month. Unfortunately, the S4 is a GSM phone, so I wasn't able to keep my $55 limited unlimited plan, and was forced to upgrade to the $60 plan. People don't realize MetroPCS's 4G LTE is way faster than their 4G was when it first came out. ATT doesn't offer a unlimited plan unless you had a grandfathered plan which they honored at one point. ATT's 2.5GB plan is as much as Metro's unlimited plan, and my S4 was pulling 21MB/sec which is honestly fantastic for MetroPCS. I usually use WIFI in the house anyway so being able to have those speeds on the go to me is just plain awesome. The best part about Metro is, I don't pay my bill. My Grandmother's husband pays for it through his business so all I have to do is just buy the phone I want, and he pays it. He's been paying it since I turned 21, which I guess was a 21st Birthday present from him. I just turned 26 on 12/28. I just buy the phone I want, and his business pays the bill as there are a ton of other lines on the account. So basically, I would never change carriers as of now because of that. Being on Verizon would be awesome as their service is just amazing, but as long as my service is free, I'll stay with MetroPCS. Like I said, their service is getting much better than it was a few years ago. I wouldn't mind trying Boost Mobile but on Long Island in NY, they only have 3G coverage. In FL, where I use to live, they have 4G coverage, and if I was still there, I would consider them as they have this thing where if you get the $60 unlimited plan, and pay your bill on time for 18 months, your bill gets reduced to $40 which is just awesome, but again, I don't pay the bill, so no reason to change providers at this time.

I may root the S3, but with all that internal space, I don't feel root is really needed unless you REALLY wanted to customize your phone. I only root to get rid of Metro bloatware. The S4 had a total of around 225MB of applications preinstalled which includes bloatware which honestly isn't a lot considering all the stuff that came installed. If I had the LG F3 or LG F6 where there is only 1GB of internal space available to the user, I would definitely root just to free up that 225MB. The S3 comes with more internal space than the S4 which is actually surprising so I don't really feel I would root. I ordered a Samsung 32GB Micro SD Card for $26.99 with Amazon, and I'm on my free Amazon Prime trial so I get free 2 day shipping on all orders no minimum so I will have it on Saturday, way before I have my S3, but I'm upgrading from a 2GB Micro SD card which fills up extremely fast. A few albums of music, a few pictures, and one or two videos, and I'm just below full. The S3 and S4 both support up to a 64GB Micro but those were a little too expensive right now, and honestly, going to 32GB from 2GB is totally good enough right now, and the card is a class 10 so it will be SUPER SUPER fast compared to the old 2GB card which is the 2GB that came with the LG Motion. I didn't mean to type a wall of text, but this is all too exciting, and I can't wait to be part of the S3 community.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

Upvote 0
Tbh im finished with samsung. Theyve lost any loyalty i had but the s3 has been a great phone to me. it started a whole new generation of smartphones and took us to a point where the software developers havent caught up with the hardware yet so higher specs become less relevant :)

The only con I have with Samsung is that their power / lock button is on the side, and I rather have it up top, as I'm so use to holding the Motion a certain way that I find myself accidentally hitting the power button when I don't want to. Other than that, Samsung is pretty decent.

Upvote 0
I can't believe that the same company that created the Galaxy Nexus created the Galaxy S3.

The S3 has been the best Android phone I've used.

My father purchased the Galaxy Nexus in December 2012 based on my recommendation and it was the biggest POS phone either of us have laid eyes on. He went through 5 replacements and had problems with simple things such as basic phone calls.

Will be very interesting to see what 2014 and beyond brings to Android.

Times have changed sooooo vastly since the days of the G1 and original Motorola Droid it is amazing.

Reactions: Muilisx
Upvote 0
I just went ahead and ordered the S3 with standard overnight shipping. Since it's after 3PM EST, the phone will ship tomorrow, and I should have it on Saturday. I'm not sure if FedEx delivers on Saturday, but since it's overnight shipping. I think they DO deliver or it would make no sense to do overnight shipping as they need to honor it. If it doesn't come Saturday, I'll call MetroPCS, and get a $9.95 refund.

Upvote 0
I just went ahead and ordered the S3 with standard overnight shipping. Since it's after 3PM EST, the phone will ship tomorrow, and I should have it on Saturday. I'm not sure if FedEx delivers on Saturday, but since it's overnight shipping. I think they DO deliver or it would make no sense to do overnight shipping as they need to honor it. If it doesn't come Saturday, I'll call MetroPCS, and get a $9.95 refund.

The Galaxy S3 won't disappoint, the only thing is if you were a Sprint customer the S4 would have been the way to go because they have re-released the S4 as a tri-band phone for Sprint's three bands of LTE (800, 1900, 2600MHz). Other than that and being on MetroPCS the S3 will meet all of your expectations, as far as dual and quad core CPU's you will not see much of a performance increase as Android isn't utilized to take advantage of multi-threaded chips beyond dual-core chips. We are at the point in the smartphone world where the technology is pretty maxed out and the need to upgrade phones doesn't justify the cost of some of the newer model high-end phones like the S4. I have the S3 and plan on keeping for a good long while I have LTE coverage and fast phone with a large screen why would I need to upgrade. Enjoy your Galaxy S3 ;)

Reactions: Muilisx
Upvote 0
The Galaxy S3 won't disappoint, the only thing is if you were a Sprint customer the S4 would have been the way to go because they have re-released the S4 as a tri-band phone for Sprint's three bands of LTE (800, 1900, 2600MHz). Other than that and being on MetroPCS the S3 will meet all of your expectations, as far as dual and quad core CPU's you will not see much of a performance increase as Android isn't utilized to take advantage of multi-threaded chips beyond dual-core chips. We are at the point in the smartphone world where the technology is pretty maxed out and the need to upgrade phones doesn't justify the cost of some of the newer model high-end phones like the S4. I have the S3 and plan on keeping for a good long while I have LTE coverage and fast phone with a large screen why would I need to upgrade. Enjoy your Galaxy S3 ;)

Cool! Yeah, I can't wait. It comes on Monday! However, if it gets to the hub by tomorrow, I'll go pick it up instead of waiting until Monday. Yeah, I'm on Metro so the S3 should be perfect. Their 4G LTE isn't that bad at all so it should be ok.

Upvote 0
the only reason i'll be upgrading my S3 sometime next year is because they'll be shutting off CDMA. if they didnt i would be keeping this thing until it fell apart in my hand.

until software catches up with hardware the need to upgrade is nothing more than a status symbol.

GSM isn't all that bad. It's still a LTE phone. You won't be losing out on much by losing CDMA.

Upvote 0
GSM is fine. its just since my S3 is CDMA it wont work when they shut CDMA off.

Yeah, I hear ya. However, MetroPCS is shipping their S3s and S4s that are GSM. It seems they're doing away with CDMA phones. Even their Huawei Pal is a GSM phone which I couldn't believe as it's their most most basic phone. The only bad thing about going from CDMA to GSM is that I had the $55 limited unlimited plan, and now since their phones are all GSM. I had to give up that plan and go to the $60 plan which to be isn't too fair as a grandfathered plan should be honored, especially when the account I'm on has been opened since 2002. MetroPCS honestly doesn't care too much for their customers, but the service is getting a lot better and I don't pay the bill so I stay with them. I just buy the phone I want.

Upvote 0
The only con I have with Samsung is that their power / lock button is on the side, and I rather have it up top, as I'm so use to holding the Motion a certain way that I find myself accidentally hitting the power button when I don't want to. Other than that, Samsung is pretty decent.

I also find the placement of the power switch a real pain.:(

Upvote 0
Hello,

I just returned my S4 via FedEx to MetroPCS. I just can't fathom $600. Well, $550 after rebate as tax was $50, but it's still a lot of money. Now, the S3 is $350 after rebate, so $400 now, which is $150-200 cheaper than the S4. The S4 was a great phone, but the extra money to me doesn't justify the extra features. Yes, the smart features were cool, but will I use them? Probably not. The camera was pretty good, but it was default at 9.6MP(16:9) while the 13MP mode was only 4:3. I would of probably stuck with the 9.6MP(16:9). Now, the S3 has a 8MP camera which also does 1080P HD recording which to me is more than enough, and it looks like the S3 has more internal space available to the user than the S4. The S3 has a 1.5Ghz Dual Core while the S4 has a 1.9Ghz Quad Core. I really don't think I would feel the difference between the two as I would never be doing anything that would require 4 cores. The S3's 1.5Ghz Dual Core is most likely still pretty darn fast. The S3 still packs a good punch for sure, and I think a black phone would make me happier over a white phone too. I won't be doing anything until I receive my refund from MetroPCS, but I'm most likely going with the S3. If it wasn't the S3, it would be the LG F3, the LG F6, or the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit, but out of those 3, I rather the S3 for sure. I'm excited to be part of the S3 team.

I don't use my S3 for the Net. I added a 32gb memory card for putting my videos on phone. I find enough room on the phones memory for my pictures.
I use it as a phone&Texing and with Wi-Fi i can read many local news sites., so the 1.5Ghz Dual Core processor is more then I really need. I read where many S4 owners are quickly running out of battery with the extra processor power draw.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I don't use my S3 for the Net. I added a 32gb memory card for putting my videos on phone. I find enough room on the phones memory for my pictures.
I use it as a phone&Texing and with Wi-Fi i can read many local news sites., so the 1.5Ghz Dual Core processor is more then I really need. I read where many S4 owners are quickly running out of battery with the extra processor power draw.:rolleyes:

I'm huge on the net, so I use my phone on 4G when I'm not on WIFI, and I really do take advantage of the unlimited plan for sure. I have a Samsung 32GB Micro being delivered tomorrow so between all the internal space + the 32GB external, I should have PLENTY of room. My initial S4 charge lasted about 24 hours, and that was with plenty of messing around, and then standby for the night. I had some of the Smart Features turned on which probably played a roll in battery consumption, but overall, I was actually impressed with the battery life, but then again, the S3 had a pretty big battery. I feel I'll be happy with the S3 over the S4 as I probably wouldn't of used the Smart Features all that much. The only thing I wish the S3 had like the S4 is that IR Blaster which actually worked flawlessly. It turned on the old Sony in the living room, and I was able to control the Direct TV box with it too, bring up the full guide and navigate perfectly as the TV and Direct TV box in the living room doesn't have a remote. So that is going to be one feature I lose out on, and will miss deeply as I could of definitely had some fun with. Too bad I'm still not in Middle or High School as having a phone with a IR Blaster, you could definitely have some fun in the class room :D. At least I would with the S4 and the IR Blaster.

Upvote 0
If it was me id update it now before you have any apps on it and factory reset after updating. Then you shouldnt have any problems.
Dont take the update if you plan on rooting/romming the phone though :thumbup:

I doubt I'll root this one as it just has so much internal space. I doubt I'll even come close to running out of room on the internal storage especially when I bought a Samsung 32GB Micro that I'll use strictly for pictures, music, and videos this way my internal is strictly for applications. I don't game much but if I did decide to download a few games, it won't even phase the internal space of this phone. Yes, I could of went with the 64GB card, but coming from a 2GB that was always maxed, I feel 32GB is pretty decent of a upgrade. I know there's so much more to do in the root world, but I think for $350, I'll keep this one root free. The last phone I rooted was the Samsung Admire which was a decent little low end phone.

Now, as far as factory resetting this phone, is there a key command on boot to access any type of menu or can I use the Backup and Reset option in the settings of the phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones