• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coming Soon: Otterbox Commuter Droid case

I have had OtterBox cases on two different Blackberry smart phones over several years. There are goods and bads as in every case.

Pros
The cases are rock solid. They keep out dust very well and protect against bumpd and drops. For my Storm I got the defender case which has the rubber boot and i is bullit proof

Cons
The included screen covers in the case IMHO cause the response of the screen to deteriorate. I removed it and went with other direct attach protectors.

Removing the case to put the phone in home dock and/or mobile dock is a pain. I work mobile so it is either fuss with it after every job or leave in the case and on my belt defeating the reason for the car dock.

For my droid I am going with the Seidio Innocase and their home and mobile docks for normal usage. I work on a drag race track several weekends out of the year and will likely still purchase an OtterBox for these events.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
So did I ... so I went immediately to the website.

Then I read this, at the bottom of the page...

Environmental Protection:
Case provides added protection against bump and shock.
Case is NOT protective against water.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE!!!!!!!

Fail!

Next!
At first I was like, "He must freakin' joking, right?", because there ain't nuthin' about THIS:

mot4-droid-20-c5otr.5.jpg

that looks even remotely waterproof.
-But apparently he's not kidding.:thinking:

...Maybe riding and playing with your phone at the same time might not be such a good combo for you anyway. :p

Upvote 0
Well it looks like the Otterbox help people aren't tech oriented... Here's my email thread about the 2600 case.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday , March 29, 2010 04:36 pm MDT (GMT-06:00)
Subject: 2600 Series PDA Case

Do you know if the 2600 case will work with a capacitive touch screen?

Sent: Tuesday , March 30, 2010 04:54 pm MDT (GMT-06:00)

Please visit the following link to determine if that device will work with your phone:

http://www.otterbox.com/pdfs/armor-pda-chart.pdf

Thank you,
Kiley McGowen

Sent: Tuesday , March 30, 2010 04:59 pm MDT (GMT-06:00)

So you're saying it doesn't work with capacitive touch screens?

-------Final reply------

I have no knowledge of that particular model of phone. Please follow the link I sent before to determine if your phone is compatible with that case.

Thank you,
Kiley McGowen

Upvote 0
To add, this case feels really slick. I can just see it slipping out of my hand and heading for the asphalt. The plugs will do nicely for keeping dust out, but the front part coming loose constantly is a major annoyance. The mic is not covered up and calls are fine. The power button, volume rocker, and camera buttons are covered by rubber and stand out more. This is a huge plus. It makes them easier to push, plus you can no longer notice that the cheap gold flake has worn off the camera button. If this thing hits the deck, I have no doubt the phone will easily pop out of the case and you will have parts all over. I know this is mainly due to it being a slider phone, but the clear plastic case that Verizon makes is definitely more snug and would do a better job, plus it's cheaper. I'll keep the Otter Box on for a while and see if I have a change of heart, but for now I'd say it's a no go.

I think you may have a defective model because I've had this case for a few weeks and have yet to have the front cover pop out. I've dropped my phone once with the case and it protected my droid very well. I do agree about the back being a little too slick. That was my biggest gripe.

Upvote 0
I used mine for about 3 days, then took it off. I've never been a fan of protective cases, so go figure. But, honestly, this one makes me worry. When closed the clips that hold onto the back side actually push up on the top part of the slider, which worries me. It already (without the case) comes open in my pocket and I don't want it getting stretcted and looser than it already is. Also, as I've stated before, it's slippery and attracts all kinds of dust and whatnot.

With that said, I now rock my phone nakid with a screen protector. If anyone wants an Otterbox case w/out the factory screen protector, shoot me and offer through PM or I'll just offer it up in the karma thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones