• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coming to a new conclusion about the true 4G coverage.

Link me to where I can find what my area is up to.

And "true" 4G does not exist yet. What everybody is calling 4G or LTE does not comply with the International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced requirements for 4G. True 4G is supposed to have data rates up to 1 gbps at low mobility (walking around or staying still) and 100 mbps at high mobility (in a car or fast vehicle).

4G LTE should really be branded "Advanced 3G" but I guess the marketing people calculated that the public would get bigger boners if it was (falsely) called 4G.

Upvote 0
"true" 4G does not exist yet. What everybody is calling 4G or LTE does not comply with the International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced requirements for 4G.

Not anymore. LTE can officially be called 4G now. A few months ago you would have been right right. IMTA changed the requirements and you are allowed to call LTE and Wimax 4g because they are upgradeable (in the next software revision) to the meet the original 4G specifications.

HSPA+ on the other hand cannot be called 4G, and surprising enough AT&T is building out there LTE network right now and using HSPA+ as a stopgap

edit:On December 6, 2010 ITU said -
Following a detailed evaluation against stringent technical and operational criteria, ITU has determined that “LTE-Advanced” and “WirelessMAN-Advanced” should be accorded the official designation of IMT-Advanced. As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as “4G”, although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax...
http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2010/48.aspx

Upvote 0
Link me to where I can find what my area is up to.

And "true" 4G does not exist yet. What everybody is calling 4G or LTE does not comply with the International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced requirements for 4G. True 4G is supposed to have data rates up to 1 gbps at low mobility (walking around or staying still) and 100 mbps at high mobility (in a car or fast vehicle).

4G LTE should really be branded "Advanced 3G" but I guess the marketing people calculated that the public would get bigger boners if it was (falsely) called 4G.

LOL I like that comment about the public and 4G thats funny.

But here is a link to where to find your coverage.

MetroPCS | Coverage

Upvote 0
Check 426 23rd avenue San Francisco Ca 94121
It says "Best"

When you say best, is the talk, text, & more showing your in the best? Or is the 4G showing your in the best?

you can choose between the two at the top of the map there are three tabs.

Talk, text, & more...........this tab will rate how good your coverage will be.

unliminted text.........I have not even loooked at that tab, for this purpose I dont think it matters any.

4G tab.......this tab only tells you if your in the 4G area. It is not rating how good the coverage will be. It only tells you if that area is considered to be 4G area.

Upvote 0
Very hard for me to see the difference in the last 2 colors because they look the same to me ....wonder if they done that on purpose....hmmmmmmm

I can clearly make out the purple but the other 2 look the same.

I get great phone coverage and text and had decent 4g (always around 4-6)
but since the update it's been much slower...now it's varies from 1-3.:mad:

I'm going to wait a few days before opening a ticket being I only have this phone for 8 days.

Another thing...How come my speed tests are so different at different sites..I try them back to back the difference is staggering.

speedtest.com
speakeasy.net
mobilespeedtest.com

Upvote 0
Very hard for me to see the difference in the last 2 colors because they look the same to me ....wonder if they done that on purpose....hmmmmmmm

I can clearly make out the purple but the other 2 look the same.

I get great phone coverage and text and had decent 4g (always around 4-6)
but since the update it's been much slower...now it's varies from 1-3.:mad:

I'm going to wait a few days before opening a ticket being I only have this phone for 8 days.

Another thing...How come my speed tests are so different at different sites..I try them back to back the difference is staggering.

speedtest.com
speakeasy.net
mobilespeedtest.com

Have you done a battery pull and/or a manual reboot since the update?
Secodn for the speed test many reasons could cause that, but one might be distance as to where the sites info is coming from. Farther away the slower the test.

Upvote 0
Have not pulled the battery....should I ?

Yeah. Give it a battery pull while the phone is on. Some times it works some times it wont help a bit. But I have never heard of it causing damamge. And actually I have had the customer support techs ask me to do that to my phone before after a data push they did.

Reactions: BlueMuscles
Upvote 0
Calling support is something I would never do. They are beyond useless - meaning they sometimes make the situation worse.

Half the time they dont even have a computer in front of them but rather a binder full of common issues and they read from it as if they had your phone in front of them.

Upvote 0
How did you find that out ciper? I think i have the same issue becuz i had a mess up when i got my update.

You can find out if you had half the update if your build number is still EA29 in the About phone page.
Settings->About Phone, and scroll all the way down.
If it's EE7D (that's the new one right, I don't have the update myself yet...), then you're all set.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones