• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Common Touchscreen Problem

I know this is a common problem but I'd like a better solution than what I've read online.

I've had numerous ROMs installed on this Evo but two have really messed up for me on this particular phone. I've had the original that I bought and then this one which is my replacement I got when my other damaged...

When I installed two completely different ROMs, the same problem happened. I've had more than just two ROMs on here too.

CM7 and another ROM which was ASOP but I can't remember which one have been messing up and it's annoying because I really really like CM7.

I'll have the phone on lock and then I'll try to unlock it but the screen won't move the unlock bar over. So I unlock and lock over and over again until it finally let's me get to my homescreen. Sometimes, I'll unlock it and it'll go to say the messaging app but then it will start hitting random keys and then I'll lock it then unlock it and it'll be fine and I can type.

I've tried hard and soft resets of the phone in terms of manually taking out the battery and turning it off and letting both the battery and phone cool under a fan or something and it still doesn't seem to work.

Right now, I have it sitting directly under a fan so I believe that it is a heating problem.

Many people's solution for this is to go to Sprint and get a replacement but I don't want to do that because this is a replacement and sucks and I also don't want to lose all of my crucial data such as messages and app data.

So...is there a solution to this problem? Keeping it under the fan is working but I won't always have a fan nearby and it still screws up sometimes.

I know this is a common problem but I'd like a better solution than what I've read online.

I've had numerous ROMs installed on this Evo but two have really messed up for me on this particular phone. I've had the original that I bought and then this one which is my replacement I got when my other damaged...

When I installed two completely different ROMs, the same problem happened. I've had more than just two ROMs on here too.

CM7 and another ROM which was ASOP but I can't remember which one have been messing up and it's annoying because I really really like CM7.

I'll have the phone on lock and then I'll try to unlock it but the screen won't move the unlock bar over. So I unlock and lock over and over again until it finally let's me get to my homescreen. Sometimes, I'll unlock it and it'll go to say the messaging app but then it will start hitting random keys and then I'll lock it then unlock it and it'll be fine and I can type.

I've tried hard and soft resets of the phone in terms of manually taking out the battery and turning it off and letting both the battery and phone cool under a fan or something and it still doesn't seem to work.

Right now, I have it sitting directly under a fan so I believe that it is a heating problem.

Many people's solution for this is to go to Sprint and get a replacement but I don't want to do that because this is a replacement and sucks and I also don't want to lose all of my crucial data such as messages and app data.

So...is there a solution to this problem? Keeping it under the fan is working but I won't always have a fan nearby and it still screws up sometimes.
try wiping dalvik cache and cache. also are you using setcpu or the cm7 owns cpu scaling app? do you have a screen off profile? you might have it set to low.

Upvote 0
try wiping dalvik cache and cache. also are you using setcpu or the cm7 owns cpu scaling app? do you have a screen off profile? you might have it set to low.

lol none of the above sounds like what I have. I'll wipe cache and dalvik and see how that goes.

As for the rest: setcpu, cm7 owns cpu scaling app or screen off profile...not sure how any of those work to be honest.

Upvote 0
lol none of the above sounds like what I have. I'll wipe cache and dalvik and see how that goes.

As for the rest: setcpu, cm7 owns cpu scaling app or screen off profile...not sure how any of those work to be honest.

well then cm7 has its own cpu scaling. in other words you can over and underclock your phone to make it blazing fast and allow you to increase battery life. also you can set the governor which tells the cpu when to and how to over or underclock. with cm7 you can choose the smartass governor to have a screen off profile. it will increase your battery life.

but as far as your issue wiping the cache's most likely will help. also maybe even overclocking it may work as well.

Upvote 0
I've had this issue too. I actually had it back on stock 2.2 so I think the issue might be related to the hardware.

Phone is locked, press button, no response from screen.... press button again and once again and it worked. (this usually happens when I'm on the charger though...)

Not a solution, but sometimes it works.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the way the OS handles 'sleep mode', maybe it doesn't fully wake up or get the screen back on right away </speculation>

Upvote 0
well then cm7 has its own cpu scaling. in other words you can over and underclock your phone to make it blazing fast and allow you to increase battery life. also you can set the governor which tells the cpu when to and how to over or underclock. with cm7 you can choose the smartass governor to have a screen off profile. it will increase your battery life.

but as far as your issue wiping the cache's most likely will help. also maybe even overclocking it may work as well.

I've heard of overclocking and underclocking and someone explained it to me here...might have even been you ocnbrze lol...but where would I go for these overclocking and underclocking options in CM7??

And for the smartass governor, where can I find that??

I've had this issue too. I actually had it back on stock 2.2 so I think the issue might be related to the hardware.

Phone is locked, press button, no response from screen.... press button again and once again and it worked. (this usually happens when I'm on the charger though...)

Not a solution, but sometimes it works.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the way the OS handles 'sleep mode', maybe it doesn't fully wake up or get the screen back on right away </speculation>

YEAH! I noticed that mine would start acting up when it was on the charger. Also I have an Otterbox case, the cheaper one, and it seemed to do it more when the case was on. The screen is also clean, need I remind everyone.

With those two in mind, I'd say it's a heat issue. Has anyone else noticed or has their Evo become super hot when on the charger? And then with a case around it, it should get even hotter. My original Evo didn't do either of those but I didn't have this Otterbox when I had that Evo so I can't say for sure on that but as far as the charger goes, my Evo would get hot, but nothing like this. It could also be that it's a hotter time of year when I have this one versus the original. I got that one back in October of last year and kept it til about July of this year and got this replacement after July which is super hot here in California with 100+ degrees. Just my guess though...

Does your Evo click random keys and open random apps when it screws up like this? Today, mine was going all over the place. And at one time during the day, it even would only let me swipe screens (on the homescreen) using the home/menu/back/magnify glass buttons. Like when you tried touching any of those, they acted like they were apart of the screen and not buttons!

Upvote 0
That is F'in weird. I do have an otterbox case, and my phone is often quite hot on the charger. (Never thought to see if there was a correlation though).

My mother has an evo, not rooted, stock (2.2 I think), and an otterbox case. She had the weird button press today happen randomly. Weird.

Is your otterbox the one from sprint? That is the one that we both have. Weird. I may try it with my other case (slip sleeve) and see if it still happens.

Upvote 0
With those two in mind, I'd say it's a heat issue. Has anyone else noticed or has their Evo become super hot when on the charger? And then with a case around it, it should get even hotter. My original Evo didn't do either of those but I didn't have this Otterbox when I had that Evo so I can't say for sure on that but as far as the charger goes, my Evo would get hot, but nothing like this. It could also be that it's a hotter time of year when I have this one versus the original. I got that one back in October of last year and kept it til about July of this year and got this replacement after July which is super hot here in California with 100+ degrees. Just my guess though...

Does your Evo click random keys and open random apps when it screws up like this? Today, mine was going all over the place. And at one time during the day, it even would only let me swipe screens (on the homescreen) using the home/menu/back/magnify glass buttons. Like when you tried touching any of those, they acted like they were apart of the screen and not buttons!

I have been having this same issue all summer. Also after a 20+ minute phone call it will act the same way when I hung up. It would usually just freeze up and I would have to pull the battery. Now that the temps have gotten below 90 degrees, it has happend maybe twice. Humidity seems to be a big factor also.

Upvote 0
I live in deep south Georgia ( I wave over to north florida they dont see me but f'em i wave anyways )

The Heat and humidity have been unreal this year down here. I also have an otter box defender case for my Evo and I have not had any of these issues on my phone. I had the default Sprint / HTC gigerbread unrooted until about 4 days ago. I'm now running MikG 2.5 and still have not had this issue. Does this happen using Widget Locker or the Default Lock Screen? Just Curious I'm using Widget Locker as of 2 weeks ago. Haven't had an issue with either.

Upvote 0
Sorry this is such a long post lol

That is F'in weird. I do have an otterbox case, and my phone is often quite hot on the charger. (Never thought to see if there was a correlation though).

My mother has an evo, not rooted, stock (2.2 I think), and an otterbox case. She had the weird button press today happen randomly. Weird.

Is your otterbox the one from sprint? That is the one that we both have. Weird. I may try it with my other case (slip sleeve) and see if it still happens.

My Otterbox...well, I got it from a friend so I can't say for sure which one it is exactly. It is the one that has rubber on the inside then a plastic on the outside. It does not have it's own kickstand on it like my friend has which is the more premium one.

I asked my cousin, who also has a Evo and hers is a replacement after she lost her old one, about the mess up and she says hers messes up too. Hers is NOT rooted either and is on stock 2.2 or 2.3. I believe 2.3 because I believe she updates regularly. She didn't specific if it just started happening in the summer or happened beforehand. Hers has a case but is one of those cheapo rubbery ones that is slick rubber. She keeps it on the charger most of the time too because she is at a desk almost all day long. Hers doesn't do the random button thingy where it presses random buttons but it does do the weird unlock/lock thing.

I have been having this same issue all summer. Also after a 20+ minute phone call it will act the same way when I hung up. It would usually just freeze up and I would have to pull the battery. Now that the temps have gotten below 90 degrees, it has happend maybe twice. Humidity seems to be a big factor also.

I have it happen after phone calls too and long ones. I think that is due to it being so close to our sweaty faces though. It also happened during the winter to me where it is usually in the (low for California) 60's. A simple wipedown of the screen with the bottom of your shirt should fix it. Make sure it is as clean as you can get it. Does that seem to work?

I live in deep south Georgia ( I wave over to north florida they dont see me but f'em i wave anyways )

The Heat and humidity have been unreal this year down here. I also have an otter box defender case for my Evo and I have not had any of these issues on my phone. I had the default Sprint / HTC gigerbread unrooted until about 4 days ago. I'm now running MikG 2.5 and still have not had this issue. Does this happen using Widget Locker or the Default Lock Screen? Just Curious I'm using Widget Locker as of 2 weeks ago. Haven't had an issue with either.

I don't have Widget Locker so I can't say for sure.

Is your phone a replacement or a brand new one that you purchased? If brand new, it may be a problem only with our replacements. If not, then it is a problem with the phone period.

Mine was doing it on the stock GB and was doing it with Mik3d B1.

As of a few days ago I was using a live wallpaper, water I think it's called, now that i am not using it, things are alot smoother.

I never had any problems with the lock screen.

At first I was going to say that I didn't have a live wallpaper but then I remembered that I did which was the one that had all sorts of stuff like weather, time, date, etc. I've changed it since yesterday and have had...from what I remember, no problems with it today. I had my Otterbox on all day and also had it on the car charger most of the day and still no problems. It has been slightly hot in the phone but the temperature outside has gone down just a tiny bit to like 90 lol

I sometimes have a problem where the screen wont unlock but its usually just a matter of pressing the power button twice and then it seems to recognize my finger position again.

I think its a result of having another part of your hand/body accidentally touching the screen at times.

Nah, I'm definitely sure that mine is not working like that. Mine is messing up where it will come on and I can't move the unlocker to the side to unlock it.

I have had it happen where I double click the power button but this time it's not happening like that.

Upvote 0
My Otterbox...well, I got it from a friend so I can't say for sure which one it is exactly. It is the one that has rubber on the inside then a plastic on the outside. It does not have it's own kickstand on it like my friend has which is the more premium one.

Hmm.. sounds very much like my case. Does your otterbox have an opening for the EVO's kickstand? Mine does.

I'm sure it's a coincident, I can't believe that a case could in any way impact the phone into acting weird like that..? Could it?!

Upvote 0
I've heard of overclocking and underclocking and someone explained it to me here...might have even been you ocnbrze lol...but where would I go for these overclocking and underclocking options in CM7??

And for the smartass governor, where can I find that??...

If I remember right, it is in Menu/ settings/ Cynogen mods (SP?) / performance.

When you click that you get a warning that you can make your phone unstable, or something to that effect. That is where the settings for clocking and selecting the Governor are.

Reactions: ndh777
Upvote 0
Hmm.. sounds very much like my case. Does your otterbox have an opening for the EVO's kickstand? Mine does.

I'm sure it's a coincident, I can't believe that a case could in any way impact the phone into acting weird like that..? Could it?!

Yes, mine has an opening for the kickstand.

Well, I bring that up because you can imagine heat being trapped inside of that case. And if I'm right and heat is the problem, then having this around the phone 24/7 cannot be good for our screens if they are screwing up because of heat.

I just got off the phone and it was acting up and I'm ruling out heat as my body heat and sweat was pressed up on the screen. But heat is only a guess for now. When my phone works right, these happen:
-I don't have the Otterbox case on it
-It is not connected to any charger or HDMI for that matter
-It is in front of a fan say 3 feet from the fan
-It's screen has been wiped thoroughly
-There are no heavy RAM using apps in the background such as a live wallpaper

With all those done, it appears that the phone works well, for me anyway. What all those have in common is a creation of abnormal heat built up inside of the phone. So I bring up the Otterbox because it seems to be included in these heat containing items.

If I remember right, it is in Menu/ settings/ Cynogen mods (SP?) / performance.

When you click that you get a warning that you can make your phone unstable, or something to that effect. That is where the settings for clocking and selecting the Governor are.

Oh...I've been in that area before but since I didn't know what I was doing, I left. Okay, thanks. I'll try going there and seeing what happens, thanks!

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones