• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help CompanionLink USB, constant mounting

Rafael

Android Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
When using CompanionLink USB; whenever I connect the phone to my PC and hit the "Sync" button, the drive somehow becomes "mounted" and the Sync reports this and refuses to communicate....though once in a while it Sync's anyway. Before I hit the "Sync" button, the drive is always not-mounted.

Syncing has become a tedious process involving constant opening of the program, attempting to sync, unmounting, attempting to sync, unmounting.....and so on.

Any ideas?

It's gotten worse. Must be us Droiders...I've been on hold for 20-30 min. and then had a rep really rush me off the phone...emails are taking many days before response. That said, they're a good outfit and working hard to make it all work. I'm using the USB direct from my Palm Desktop to Droid, no freakin' cloud! And until the last update, it would do what you're talking about. Now, it mounts and unmounts automagically as it syncs (a couple times from what I can tell), but eventually, it's all there. I have had to do it more than once to get it all to work for some reason.

Upvote 0
That was my experience with them.
Also, when I make changes to desktop settings in the app, they seldom take on the first try.
I find I have to change, apply, finish....and then repeat this several times to get the settings to remain where I set them.
This is quite frustrating.
Certainly the least trustworthy program I have ever used.
I am considering asking for a refund, as much as I would like to have a solution that really works.

Upvote 0
Be patient, mi hermano. I don't know how long you've been using it, I jumped in early and it was a freakin' mess. It's gotten much better, and I know they're working to make it flawless as we expect. Until Droid and 2.0, this didn't exist. So 60 days...and to do something as complex as merging databases that won't otherwise speak to each other is a miracle, frankly. I'm still reluctant to sync up, truth be told...but I'm willing to keep working this thing since it IS the best solution unless you believe in the cloud.

Upvote 0
Thanks man.....I appreciate your input here.

I got it within a few days of the announcement after trying the g-mail sync product a few weeks before. While the app is prettier than the early versions, function has not improved for me. I would really like to have a real calendar or at least a "week" view instead of the "day" view, but in my opinion they should get basic functions working first. That goal is far from complete.

Also, whats with the new "sync" icon at the bottom? It's new, but has no function.

Am I the only one who finds the calendar transfer setting for how many days "back", transfer of older calendar events, regularly reverts back to 90 days? I see no reason for transferring expired appointments so I keep resetting it to "0" but it keeps reverting to 90. This means I have a pile of appointment reminders popping up on the notification bar each time I sync. When it syncs at all.

It will be a good day when the time I spend preventing it from doing what I didn't ask it to do is less than the time I spend using it for the things it should do. :D

Cloud? Do you mean Google? I chose to avoid it for security reasons.

Have a good evening, folks.

Upvote 0
I got the updates as soon as they came out.
If you update both the PC and Droid. the "mount" issue has been fixed.

I wish I could figure out how to stop my PC from opening the "new drive" window everytime I sync.......it covers the sync status window and is pretty annoying.

The PC software is still very glitchy, as before.
It still defaults back to 90 days(transfers schedule data from 90 days old to the newest appoointment) and quite often when I ask it to wipe the Droid data it takes a few trys to get it to actually wipe the data. If the schedule data must have a default, I would prefer 0 days......how many people really need to transfer old data?

Also, since it is so glitchy, I have elected to purge almost every time.
It would be nice if it stuck to the selections you made for the last sync.

Each sync operation leaves me about 20% confident that it did everything it was supposed to do.

One thing I have noticed on every build....upon exiting the software another home-screen icon is highlighted. It does not do it every time, seems to be random.
This doesn't seem to hurt anything, but it does not build confidence. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones