• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Compare, contrast, opinions: GSIII vs EVO 4G LTE / Sprint-CDMA-S4 only

Im real interested in the radios now that you guys mention it. I did read that the sIII will have the S4 , but that is all I know, and I don't really know much about any of that stuff.

It's either this Evo, the S3 or I wait for Iphone 5...or some other phone comes out for sprint before then that blows my mind, but I feel that the 3 I just mentioned are pretty much the flagship devices.

I think we're all curious about the radios - without proper teardowns, all we have are our own anecdotal reports so far, and without a release, we don't even have that for the SGS3.

So far, our concensus is that the 3G and wifi radios themselves in the LTEvo are very good (despite there being a software bug affecting some wifi users). Throughput on both 3G and wifi is far better than what I had on my Evo 3D, and we know from lab reports that the LTEvo 3G radio has only 1 dBm less sensitivity than in the original Evo. All LTEvo GPS have been great that I've seen, and I've seen too few LTE reports to feel comfortable saying anything on that one way or the other.

The whole S4 thing isn't a big deal.

To make a phone call, you need software (done deal), a processor (to run the software), various modems to connect various radio transceiver chips and antennas connected to the radio chips.

The S4 processor includes what Qualcomm (the maker) calls a World Modem - it's programmable to serve any cellular radio standard in the world right now.

So an S4 on a 3G/4G phone is too good of a deal to pass up - fewer chips, less power draw, less manufacturing complexity and costs, higher reliability.

Meanwhile, chip fans will debate the merits of Samsung quad core vs the Qualcomm dual core, but that's part of the Android landscape, that will never change.

Bottom line, you're well served having an S4 chip for any USA phone when you look at the big picture and not one synthetic benchmark vs another synthetic benchmark, because benchmarks create more questions than they answer, tbh. ;) :)

Upvote 0
The S4 processor includes what Qualcomm (the maker) calls a World Modem - it's programmable to serve any cellular radio standard in the world right now.

Bottom line, you're well served having an S4 chip for any USA phone when you look at the big picture and not one synthetic benchmark vs another synthetic benchmark, because benchmarks create more questions than they answer, tbh. ;) :)

Early, I have been out of the loop for awhile and am trying to catch up. Is the SG3 going to be dual mode???? That would be a deal breaker for me. I am thinking about jumping to AT&T because I spend a lot of time out of the country...would be nice to be able to use my phone. I know the Photon had it but aft reading about it it did not look like it was working out too well. Anyways....

Upvote 0
Hi flyj! :)

I haven't heard anything about the SGS3 being offered on Sprint as a world phone, but I have read that Verizon is going to go that way -

Galaxy S III to be among Verizon phones with global upgrade option

It would be nice to see this done for a lot of phones - not sure how Verizon is pulling that off for phones like the Rezound - could be because at its heart, LTE is a GSM technology - just not sure about it though.

Reactions: flyjbaker
Upvote 0
2Gb of ram is great and all, but idk if i can live without my kickstand......but really tho im going crazy trying to figure out which to use my upgrade on.

I may just add a line to my Sprint family plan to test drive SGSIII for 14 days. I watched every review video of SGSIII could get my hands on. I am with you, idk if I can deal w/o a kickstand as well. Specially with screens being awesome and big now. Other thing of note is LTEVO's camera/video software appears to be slick and more mature than SGSIII.
IMHO.
I like SGSIII 2gb ram, but really need to see if this really makes a difference in the real word. Removable battery is a plus, but easily handled just getting a ext. battery pack for LTEVO.
Sense 4.0 vs Touchwiz, Sense is a hands down already proven over lay. HTC is already demonstrated being proactive in updates, huge for Jellybean 5.0, being rumored.

SGSIII key software features you can already get on LTEVO

Samsung Galaxy S3 software on HTC Evo 4G LTE - YouTube
I think going forward is connectivity and wich one provides best access to KB, game pads etc.
Good example is this
Samsung Galaxy S III gaming experience: Shadowgun, Riptide GP, Super Mario 64, Zelda and more... - YouTube
Damn tough decision IMHO :D

Upvote 0
Hi flyj! :)

I haven't heard anything about the SGS3 being offered on Sprint as a world phone, but I have read that Verizon is going to go that way -

Galaxy S III to be among Verizon phones with global upgrade option

It would be nice to see this done for a lot of phones - not sure how Verizon is pulling that off for phones like the Rezound - could be because at its heart, LTE is a GSM technology - just not sure about it though.

If Verizon is able to do this because LTE is a GSM technology, could it be possible for Sprint to do the same with their LTE phones?

Upvote 0
I may just add a line to my Sprint family plan to test drive SGSIII for 14 days. I watched every review video of SGSIII could get my hands on. I am with you, idk if I can deal w/o a kickstand as well. Specially with screens being awesome and big now. Other thing of note is LTEVO's camera/video software appears to be slick and more mature than SGSIII.
IMHO.
I like SGSIII 2gb ram, but really need to see if this really makes a difference in the real word. Removable battery is a plus, but easily handled just getting a ext. battery pack for LTEVO.
Sense 4.0 vs Touchwiz, Sense is a hands down already proven over lay. HTC is already demonstrated being proactive in updates, huge for Jellybean 5.0, being rumored.

I think going forward is connectivity and wich one provides best access to KB, game pads etc.
Good example is this
Samsung Galaxy S III gaming experience: Shadowgun, Riptide GP, Super Mario 64, Zelda and more... - YouTube

Great videos. Thanks for posting those. I really liked the gaming one even though I'm not a gamer.

Reactions: WifiMaxed
Upvote 0
If Verizon is able to do this because LTE is a GSM technology, could it be possible for Sprint to do the same with their LTE phones?

Honestly, that was a wild guess on my part, I have no clue about the actual details.

Plus, so far as I know, all of their LTE phones have removable sim cards - maybe that's part of the puzzle, too - assuming that my wild guess was even close.

I just heard about this yesterday, so I haven't tracked down details yet.

Upvote 0
Honestly, that was a wild guess on my part, I have no clue about the actual details.

Plus, so far as I know, all of their LTE phones have removable sim cards - maybe that's part of the puzzle, too - assuming that my wild guess was even close.

I just heard about this yesterday, so I haven't tracked down details yet.

I was just going to ask you if the sim cards had anything to do with it as well. I guess we will know in the future. It would be nice to have world phones along with LTE.

Upvote 0
IMHO.

Good example is this

It will boil down for the average user the look of the phone and/or software...Bothe phones internationally will have Quad core Sammy 1.4, HTC 1.5! And when they hit the states both will have the Krait Dual core 1.5 (fact) so software capability, gaming and whatever else I can't think of will be equal IMHO:D far as the camera, it will be preference and your vision! I eligible for 5 line and only have 2 active!

P.s. hardcore android user may look at the 2GB of ram;)

Upvote 0
maybe message is too long, but ...

I wish there was a more definite way to compare the main radio performance.

Really struggling with the decision between these two great choices.

For me radio performance would trump just about everything else, if there is a big difference between them. But it's the hardest thing to compare right now. I did read on another site how the SG3 is capable of transmitting much higher power than the EVO LTE, which is important. But what about the reception??

Other than radio performance, the things that really stand out for me are...

1) HTC really earned my respect with the original EVO, still going strong.

2) Although I can understand how some may greatly prefer the super amoled display of the SG3, I really don’t like it at all for some reason that I can't explain. That is assuming the SG3 screen is like the latest Nexus(I can actually look at a Nexus at the store). But I do appreciate the power savings for mostly dark screens, can't argue with that. The display on the EVO LTE is amazing, but I assume it's a power hog.

3) I despise the sealed battery in the EVO LTE, for the way I need to use it. Quoting what someone else said, of all the iphone-ish features to adopt, why this one?

4) Really don't like the location of the charger port on the EVO. But maybe a battery case will be developed that would put the charger port at the bottom. I wonder how well battery cases work, since they are charging the phone's internal battery. Maybe some power is lost in the process?

5) SG3 is supposed to have smoother video (higher frame rate) which I happen to think is really important.

Overall, without the radio comparison to help guide, would have to say SG3 with the 32G over the EVO LTE, even though my heart’s not in it.

Upvote 0
maybe message is too long, but ...

I wish there was a more definite way to compare the main radio performance.

Really struggling with the decision between these two great choices.

For me radio performance would trump just about everything else, if there is a big difference between them. But it's the hardest thing to compare right now. I did read on another site how the SG3 is capable of transmitting much higher power than the EVO LTE, which is important. But what about the reception??

Other than radio performance, the things that really stand out for me are...

1) HTC really earned my respect with the original EVO, still going strong.

2) Although I can understand how some may greatly prefer the super amoled display of the SG3, I really don

Upvote 0
When the phone releases will have to see, but Sammy track records with their radio's are horrendous, My mom is one her 5th SGS2 and realized it was the radio that were bad...her main gripe was GPS! And HTC as always came through and radio's are excellent! Not to say Sammy can't change!

Good point, and I do use GPS a lot. My #1 concern is being able to make a phone call where both parties can hear the conversation, or I want my phone to actually ring when someone calls (sense the sarcasm). I'm not sure if GPS is crucial for that?? Sprint's network upgrades will hopefully help a lot though.

Something else I forgot to ask, is there a way to play a video recorded by the EVO LTE directly though a HD TV? The OG EVO had the mini HDMI, and it looks like the SG3 has something for this. But not clear about the EVO LTE

Upvote 0
Good point, and I do use GPS a lot. My #1 concern is being able to make a phone call where both parties can hear the conversation, or I want my phone to actually ring when someone calls (sense the sarcasm). I'm not sure if GPS is crucial for that?? Sprint's network upgrades will hopefully help a lot though.

Something else I forgot to ask, is there a way to play a video recorded by the EVO LTE directly though a HD TV? The OG EVO had the mini HDMI, and it looks like the SG3 has something for this. But not clear about the EVO LTE

The GS3 utilizes Glonass and a barometer on top of the GPS to get a fix this time around so it should work great, and according to everyone with the international model it locks almost immediately.

I have the Epic Touch and have never had an issue with the GPS or service, other than data speeds, but that's a Sprint thing, not a Samsung thing. But I also live in an area where I always have 4-Full bars. I have also never experienced a dropped call or having trouble hear someone, but again, I don't talk that much on my phone. :/

Upvote 0

Just responding to your question about video out on LTEVO. Its full mirror capable via wireless or MHL. Hit up some of the other threads I.e. HTC media link and MHL. You'll find LTEVO is a vast improvement over OG EVO when comes to streaming to HDTV :D :cool:

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
This is a tempting idea, however I've decided I'm alright with waiting to try the store demo unit.

Don't forget, the 'new phone trial' policy is 14 days now not 30 days. They changed this last summer. So if you are banking on 30 days beware. (you may have other info or a business customer privilege I don't know of) You could always sell the phone you end up deciding against.

Just wondering... Would that 14 days be for an exchange as well? Or would the norm 30 days apply for an exchange.. Same model ltevo for ltevo

Upvote 0
Just wondering... Would that 14 days be for an exchange as well? Or would the norm 30 days apply for an exchange.. Same model ltevo for ltevo

If you went through Sprint, it's 14 days no matter what, no loopholes for changing phones.

To exchange a broken LTEvo for a working one, that has to be 14 days or a case by case basis, depending on the defect being reported.

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
Remember that of our 1 GB ram, only 680 MB is left over for the operating system, Sense, and our apps. It's not nothing, but it's actually less than the 3vo had - so I think that for a sizable number of users, more ram will add up to better performance.

Now - with that said, let's separate the peaches from the cream.

Many are already complaining the multitasking issue our phone and the One X has - that's due to a ram limitation.

But many are not suffering it, and many that are will simply root, replace bloaty components or both on the LTEvo.

But - look at the software stack on the SGS3. Personally, I am not one to throw rocks at the newer TouchWiz - but this latest one is without a doubt a large software stack - and ICS is also a large software stack.

The SGS3 has 2 GB ram because it needs more than 1 GB probably even more than we do.

Were it not for the screen and the camera, I'd trade my LTEvo and take a chance on the SGS3's unknown radios just for the additional ram alone.

I'm really glad to see the competition here, everyone keeps making new phones that for me are always almost just exactly what I wanted.

So, it makes sense to me that the ram differentiator will make a tough choice even tougher. The nice part is that it's a very first world problem to have.

Just to add to the discussion:

1) ICS appears to run fine with 1GB of RAM as demonstrated on the Nexus, so any RAM deficiencies ought to be chalked up to poor design and planning with the launcher overlay -- Sense, TouchWiz, whatever. It could be that there isn't enough memory for Sense and that's why the memory management is so aggressive, or the memory is sufficient and it may be a precautionary solution for managing battery life (killing apps in the bg so they don't consume CPU cycles and download data)

2) The HTC One X/Evo aggressive memory management is definitely there and is not a defect, flaw, or isolated issue. I mean HTC has gone on record as implying that it was a design decision -- I will bet money the issue is reproducible on every phone. So, just to clarify, I think the fact that "many are not suffering it" is really more of a user perception issue than a question of whether the problem exists or not (just clarifying your point).

3) I don't necessarily believe that the fact that the SGIII has 2 GB that one can presume the software stack is so bloated that 2GB is necessary. RAM is great and only comes at a monetary and (small) power consumption cost, it could be that Samsung just wanted to get the spec jump on HTC and others.

Upvote 0
As discussed at Galaxy SIII FCC RF Specs vs. EVO LTE - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates -

chappo2000 at s4gru said:
Here if the S4GRU "RF focused technical rundown" of the upcoming Samsung Galaxy SIII:

Source: http://s4gru.com/ind...aunch-imminent/

• CDMA1X + EV-DO band classes 0, 1, 10 (i.e. CDMA1X + EV-DO 850/1900/800)
  • LTE band 25 (i.e. LTE 1900; PCS A-G blocks)
  • LTE 5 MHz carrier bandwidth
  • LTE UE category 3
  • SVDO and SVLTE support, including SVDO or SVLTE and simultaneous 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi tether
  • Maximum RF ERP: 17.78 dBm (CDMA1X 850), 20.77 dBm (EV-DO 850), 24.05 dBm (CDMA1X 1900), 23.85 dBm (EV-DO 1900), 17.21 dBm (CDMA1X 800), 17.56 dBm (EV-DO 800), 22.01 dBm (LTE 1900)
  • NFC antenna integrated into battery
  • LTE antenna configuration: 1 Tx, 2 Rx (i.e. 2x2 downlink MIMO)

And, of course, the same S4GRU technical rundown for the HTC Evo 4G LTE:

Source: http://s4gru.com/ind...fcc-oet-filing/
  • CDMA1X + EV-DO band classes 0, 1, 10 (i.e. CDMA1X + EV-DO 850/1900/800)
  • LTE band class 25 (i.e. LTE 1900; PCS A-G blocks)
  • LTE 5 MHz and 10 MHz channel bandwidths
  • LTE UE category 3
  • SVDO and SVLTE support, including SVDO or SVLTE and simultaneous 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi tether
  • Maximum RF ERP: 20.43 dBm (CDMA1X 850), 18.74 dBm (EV-DO 850), 22.98 dBm (CDMA1X 1900), 18.44 dBm (EV-DO 1900), 20.01 dBm (CDMA1X 800), 18.75 dBm (EV-DO 800), 19.85 dBm (LTE 1900)
  • Antenna gain: -2 dBi (CDMA1X 850/1900/800), -3.5 dBi (EV-DO 850/1900/800 and LTE 1900)
  • LTE antenna configuration 1x2 (i.e. 2x2 downlink MIMO)
Given this excellent information provided to us by S4GRU... how would you say the Galaxy SII radio set compares to the Evo LTE? Is there any indication that the SIII will have the same radio problems that has seemed to plague prior Sammy devices?

Any technical insight into how these numbers compare would be appreciated. I'm ready for upgrade and the choice between the Evo and SIII is a hard one to make. I know it's all about what each specific user is looking for, but a significant difference in the build quality or range of the radios might tip the scales in either direction.

Thoughts?

P.S. Credit to "QWIKSTRIKE" for actually asking this question first.

And as I replied -

As mentioned in the article linked first, those numbers suggest that the SGS3 has a slight edge in transmitting power.

The 10 MHz carrier bandwidth, also as mentioned in the article, isn't something that they expect Sprint to deploy during the life of the handsets, so it's basically a don't care.

Neither souce link mentioned receiver sensitivity, the other half of the transmit/receive story, so I think what's there is necessary but not sufficient information to decide which radios are going perform better.

Upvote 0
3) I don't necessarily believe that the fact that the SGIII has 2 GB that one can presume the software stack is so bloated that 2GB is necessary. RAM is great and only comes at a monetary and (small) power consumption cost, it could be that Samsung just wanted to get the spec jump on HTC and others.

In fairness, I didn't say that the software stack was bloated, I said it was large - big difference.

Don't kid yourself - a full ICS with a comprehensive OEM overlay plus graphics memory for 720p mapped to ram is a large payload to support.

The new TouchWiz has several significant new features included now on the SGS3.

It wouldn't have to be much bigger than Sense 4 to make 2 GB ram a practical necessity.

I would have zero.dink-nada amount of surprise if R&D partially sold Marketing at Samsung on going with 2 GB as specsmanship, but the feature set is specified by Marketing, fed back with changes by R&D, then finally approved by senior management.

Adding a cost for the principle of simply adding numbers that most consumers won't notice much less question, when they're already slated to be the number one selling smartphone over here, is not something management would go for because it's kind of cool and neat and forward thinking.

They want to sell you two things with this phone, same as all other makers: they want to sell you this phone, and they want you to want your next phone to come from them.

The 2 GB is there so you'll be happy with the experience. It was never announced initially. It came to light after the One X multitasking complaints made front page news, and after LG announced that its upcoming phone in the fall would have 2 GB - at the time of the LG announcement, Samsung was still talking 1 GB everywhere.

The blogosphere is going to praise the SGS3 in every upcoming review around its release. They are going to say that it runs super smooth with no hiccups. And they are going to say that the 2 GB offsets the quad vs dual core difference as if they would be even in the neighborhood of qualified to make that assessment.

And the front line geeks (like us) that go with the SGS3 are going to assure our pals that the reviews are right, the phone runs great, the 2 GB is great, lather, rinse, repeat.

But as is, it needs 2 GB, just as our phones need trimming.

You yourself changed away from the Sense launcher to a third party replacement and declared that this phone was a failure compared to Apple-simple because you had to do that - you couldn't get your expected performance without doing that.

Because you'd run out of ram.

TouchWiz (including S-voice and all the bells and whistles) is even bigger, it would have run out even faster.

Upvote 0
In fairness, I didn't say that the software stack was bloated, I said it was large - big difference.

Don't kid yourself - a full ICS with a comprehensive OEM overlay plus graphics memory for 720p mapped to ram is a large payload to support.

The new TouchWiz has several significant new features included now on the SGS3.

It wouldn't have to be much bigger than Sense 4 to make 2 GB ram a practical necessity.

I would have zero.dink-nada amount of surprise if R&D partially sold Marketing at Samsung on going with 2 GB as specsmanship, but the feature set is specified by Marketing, fed back with changes by R&D, then finally approved by senior management.

Adding a cost for the principle of simply adding numbers that most consumers won't notice much less question, when they're already slated to be the number one selling smartphone over here, is not something management would go for because it's kind of cool and neat and forward thinking.

They want to sell you two things with this phone, same as all other makers: they want to sell you this phone, and they want you to want your next phone to come from them.

The 2 GB is there so you'll be happy with the experience. It was never announced initially. It came to light after the One X multitasking complaints made front page news, and after LG announced that its upcoming phone in the fall would have 2 GB - at the time of the LG announcement, Samsung was still talking 1 GB everywhere.

The blogosphere is going to praise the SGS3 in every upcoming review around its release. They are going to say that it runs super smooth with no hiccups. And they are going to say that the 2 GB offsets the quad vs dual core difference as if they would be even in the neighborhood of qualified to make that assessment.

And the front line geeks (like us) that go with the SGS3 are going to assure our pals that the reviews are right, the phone runs great, the 2 GB is great, lather, rinse, repeat.

But as is, it needs 2 GB, just as our phones need trimming.

You yourself changed away from the Sense launcher to a third party replacement and declared that this phone was a failure compared to Apple-simple because you had to do that - you couldn't get your expected performance without doing that.

Because you'd run out of ram.

TouchWiz (including S-voice and all the bells and whistles) is even bigger, it would have run out even faster.

It was never announced initially because the international model doesn't have 2GBs. Only the models with the S4 chip have the 2 GBs of RAM, which weren't announced at the initial unveiling.

Upvote 0
It was never announced initially because the international model doesn't have 2GBs. Only the models with the S4 chip have the 2 GBs of RAM, which weren't announced at the initial unveiling.

I think what I was trying to say was that even after we knew the S4 was coming instead, we didn't know that it would sport 2 GB ram.

Pretty sure (high 90s, but I'm often wrong) we knew the S4 was coming when the LG announcement hit.

And just so I'm clear, the tl/dr point is not that I think the SGS3 is bloaty, it's that it's my opinion that the total software stack is necessarily large and the 2 gigs ram was the smart play.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones