1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Compared the Note 5 to my Note 4 in stores and many reviews and...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jack58, Sep 3, 2015.

1. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

Compared the Note 5 to my Note 4 in stores and many reviews and... I'm staying with the Note 4 for another six months or so.
    The new Note 5 has been out for what? Two weeks now... yet out of four Cell phone stores I've been in such as AT&T, Best Buy stores, I had two of the managers tell me to keep the Note 4 awhile as there is really not much difference at all in them. I've put mine side by side face up and the difference is very minor, the sides a bit different along with the back view. Screen size and 4K 2560 x 1440-pixel panel is exactly the same. Both managers said it is targeted more for new Samsung customers or former customers who have like say the Note 3. Besides, the Note 5 can't look as good as my Note 4 either!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thirstypirate

thirstypirate Well-Known Member

I really loved my Note 4, but after a week with the Note 5 I couldn't go back to the laggy sluggish Note 4. I slightly miss having the SD card and not having to ever even think about storage space, but that is outweighed by just how incredibly smooth and fast the Note 5 responds to inputs.

3. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

If your Note 4 was sluggish compared to the Note 5, that is YOUR fault, not the phone... your phone is sluggish because of all the stuff you put on it since you had it...(pictures, app programs etc) so as soon as you put all that junk on your new phone, it will be just as slow. ;) This is what the salesperson count on, that customers don't think of that. Computers are the same way, they get slow after awhile until you defrag them, run virus programs, remove unneeded files, etc. Just filling up the Hard Drive slows the computer (or) phone dramatically. Think about it.

Best way to compare the two phones is the stores are still selling the Note 4, so grab both Note 4 & 5 and compare them together at the store, not your phone.

I keep my phone relative junk free, such as putting pictures and unneeded stuff on the SD card etc... I compared and couldn't notice very much difference at all.

4. thirstypirate

Not true, Touch Wiz is much more sluggish on the N4 out of the box than it is one the phone. Not to mention that I'm an using the same apps on both. There is a lag when you press the recent apps key that is non existent on the N5. There is a lag opening the camera on the N4 that is not there on the N5. There is a lag opening the app drawer on the N4 that is not there on the N5. There is lag when connecting to wifi, turning on bluetooth, switching between wifi and cell service, and on and on.

The Note 4 does some things better than the Note 5 but if user experience is the most important factor to a person than the Note 5 wins.

Phone store managers don't influence my decisions when making a purchase. I consider what is important to me and make decisions based on that. Please don't think that I'm trying to troll your post. It'm just making the point to anyone else who might be considering what to do that going with the N5 gives you a much smoother and faster user experience.

*edit for grammer

#4 thirstypirate, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  5. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

thirstypirate... maybe you'd better go back and read my post again. ;)
    I tried both new N4 & N5 side by side at the store myself and NO difference in performance at all. Plus same screen size and same performance there too, no change.
    No removable battery & SD card actually makes the N5 not as good as N4.

6. thirstypirate

I've owned both. I just don't agree with what you observed based on my own observations. It's just not true to say both phones perform equally. The N5 is much faster. SD cards and removable batteries are not the most important factors in phone design contrary to the beliefs of many users of this forum.

I did love my Note 4, though. Would you like to buy an external charger and spare battery for yours?

7. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

The N5 is NOT "much faster" as you say. That is misleading.
    I think your comparing your year old N4 which has a years worth of files & bloat on it with a brand new N5. Not a fair comparison. I've actually tried both side by side brand new at the store and saw no difference.

You said, quote: "I've owned both". Really, you got rid of N5 already? What do you own now that you don't have the N4 or N5?

8. thirstypirate

Thanks for correcting me. I sure am lucky to have someone with your wisdom be a part of my day.

On an unrelated note, your photos are really beautiful, Nice work.

#8 thirstypirate, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    KnirpsLyn and jack58 like this.
  9. ZepTepi

ZepTepi Android Enthusiast

Debates are fine but with that statement your just taking jabs. "I've owned.." does not mean the item owned is no longer owned.

10. thirstypirate

My Note 4 did perform much better prior to the Lollipop update even after a factory reset.

11. jaj324

jaj324 Android Enthusiast

As always, people who can't afford an upgrade or aren't in a position with their carrier to upgrade try to convince themselves and everyone else that there is absolutely no reason to upgrade. It's a defense mechanism used to minimize the disappointment of not getting the new shiny thing.

Caesars and digdug1 like this.
  12. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

Really! :rolleyes:
    Sounds someone is trying to justify going from a Note 4 to a Note 5. :eek:

13. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

My apology:).

14. thirstypirate

Apology accepted. Internet forums are just the pits, aren't they? People who would otherwise get along fine going toe to toe over things that aren't really that important.

clintroc, El Presidente and jack58 like this.
  15. jaj324

jaj324 Android Enthusiast

Absolutely really!!

16. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

First world problems.

bubbameat likes this.
  17. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

Yes, really!!! To bad you bit all the hype.

18. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Absolutely.

Whatever works for whoever owns the phone.

If folks don't see the need to upgrade to the N5 over the N4; that's their choice.

If folks want to upgrade; again, it's their choice.

I think everyone has made their point so consider this thread closed.

Any issues with that, please feel free to drop me a PM.

KOLIO likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 release date was August 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 7420 Octa processor, and 3000mAh battery.

August 2015
Release Date
Reviews