• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Comparing EVO plan to other national carriers

RedsGT

May 19, 2010
Sprint: (ETF = $200 Prorated)

Individual

$69.99
450 Minutes
(True) Unlimited data/SMS/MMS 3G/4G
VVM
Free M-to-M (All carriers)
$10.00
EVO bullshit
One Line: $79.99

Shared
$129.99
1500 Minutes shared
(True) Unlimited data/SMS/MMS 3G/4G
VVM
Free M-to-M (All carriers)
$10.00 per line
EVO bullshit
Two Lines: $149.99
Three Lines: $179.98
Four Lines: $209.97
Five Lines: $239.96

Verizon: (ETF = $350 Prorated)

Individual

$59.99
450 Minutes
Unlimited SMS/MMS
$29.99
5GB Data 3G
$2.99
VVM
One Line: $92.97

Shared
$99.99
700 Minutes
Unlimited SMS/MMS
$29.99
5GB Data 3G
$2.99
VVM
Two lines: $165.95
Three lines: $208.92
Four lines: $251.89
Five lines: $294.86

AT&T (iPhone*): (ETF = $325** Prorated)

Individual
$39.99
450 Minutes
Minutes rollover month-to-month
$30.00
5GB Data 3G
VVM
$20.00
Unlimited SMS/MMS
One Line: $89.99

Shared
$69.99
700 Minutes
Minutes rollover month-to-month
$30.00 per line
5GB Data 3G
VVM
$20.00 per line
Unlimited SMS/MMS
Two lines: $159.99
Three lines: $219.98
Four lines: $279.97
Five lines: $339.96

T-Mobile: (ETF = $200 Prorated)

Individual
$79.99
500 Minutes
Unlimited SMS/MMS
VVM
5GB Data 3G
Total: $79.99

Shared
$79.99
750 Minutes
Unlimited SMS/MMS
VVM
$30.00 per line
5GB Data 3G
Two lines: $139.99
Three lines: $174.99
Four lines: $209.99
Five lines: $244.99

*AT&T has different services based on phone. iPhone is approximate class of EVO
** New contracts after June 1st

Note #1: If any of this is wrong, post about it, and I'll update.

Really from what I've been seeing is that T-Mobile and Sprint are very similar in what the plans end up being. The thing with T-Mobile is their best android phone right now is the N1? I'd rather have the Evo everyday of the week.

For AT&T (iPhone) they have a 1500 text messaging option that most need, and its only $15 instead of $20. I know you want a truly "unlimited to unlimited" comparison, but I think most of their users would use that. Just a point for clarity.

Upvote 0
It would be cool to extrapolate this out over 2, 3, 4, and 5 lines. Adding a Sprint line to the Simply Everything plans is $20. Adding the same features on Verizon is $9.99 for the phone + $30 for the data. In my case with 5 lines, that's an incremental $20/line or $100/mo.

I also don't think you can ignore free GPS on Sprint. That costs $5/phone on Verizon last time I looked at their plans. On 5 phones, that's another $25/mo. Also, VVM is free on Sprint, another $2.99 per phone on VZ, and Sprint Family Locator is $5/plan vs. $5/phone.

J

Upvote 0
It would be cool to extrapolate this out over 2, 3, 4, and 5 lines. Adding a Sprint line to the Simply Everything plans is $20. Adding the same features on Verizon is $9.99 for the phone + $30 for the data. In my case with 5 lines, that's an incremental $20/line or $100/mo.

I also don't think you can ignore free GPS on Sprint. That costs $5/phone on Verizon last time I looked at their plans. On 5 phones, that's another $25/mo. Also, VVM is free on Sprint, another $2.99 per phone on VZ, and Sprint Family Locator is $5/plan vs. $5/phone.

J

I don't want to add pricing for features that can't compare across all 4 carriers.

Upvote 0
Well, yeah all the Sprint plans include every possible option available. included but not limited to everything that is extra on every other mobile carrier, ie; TV, radio, GPS, SMS, MMS, data, roaming, long distance, mobile to mobile, etc. If I missed something I'm sorry but the comparison of the plans isn't totally fair unless you ADD ON all the extras you are getting with Sprint. BUT, even if you don't compare those things your still getting a better deal than the OTHERS! IMO

Upvote 0
GPS isn't available on all 4? VVM isn't available on all 4? The incremental costs of add'l phones with data plans are absolutely available on all 4.

Sprint's gap on a single line is smaller with the $10 charge, but when you start adding lines, the value really magnifies.

Bottom line, this isn't an apples to apples comparison until you account for the costs you would pay on other carriers for features you get included with Sprint's plans.

Upvote 0
This gets even better with the Everything Data Family Plan for multiple phones up to 4 phones and 3000 shared mins. $170 + $40 (4 x $10 Evo charges) brings this well under what you can do at ATT @ $210 + tax/fees. If you have a company discount of 10-20%, you're talking 4 Evos with enough mins and unlimited 4G/3G at less than $50/line. Try getting 4 phones on ATT with anything comparable. I'm doing it for 2 lines and couldn't get anything on ATT within $50/mo with an even better company discount on ATT than Sprint.

Upvote 0
Is there any way to get a plan with no SMS? It's such a waste to pay for unlimited SMS when you won't use a single one, due to Google Voice doing messaging off of your data connection.

Do you use a browser to send all your SMS? I thought about it, but a browser interface is too cumbersome for the quick messages I need to send. Plus, there would be no notifications unless you signed in to GV.

Unless I am missing something...the SMS messages GV sends to your phone still count as SMS messages for your carrier.

Upvote 0
GPS isn't available on all 4? VVM isn't available on all 4? The incremental costs of add'l phones with data plans are absolutely available on all 4.

Sprint's gap on a single line is smaller with the $10 charge, but when you start adding lines, the value really magnifies.

Bottom line, this isn't an apples to apples comparison until you account for the costs you would pay on other carriers for features you get included with Sprint's plans.

For example, does T-Mobile offer VVM or GPS as an add-on? And by GPS do you mean location services I can use with any app I want, or built-in carrier nav app?

Upvote 0
Do you use a browser to send all your SMS? I thought about it, but a browser interface is too cumbersome for the quick messages I need to send. Plus, there would be no notifications unless you signed in to GV.

Unless I am missing something...the SMS messages GV sends to your phone still count as SMS messages for your carrier.

No I don't use the browser. I use the Google Voice app.

Voice is a complete replacement for the stock Android messaging system. It synchronizes with your Voice inbox in the cloud and you get notifications just like with regular SMS. Exactly the same as the regular non-Voice sms. Except it doesn't count towards SMS.

Upvote 0
For example, does T-Mobile offer VVM or GPS as an add-on? And by GPS do you mean location services I can use with any app I want, or built-in carrier nav app?

Well, that's a good question. Prior to Android I never had a phone with options for the GPS application. I think with VZW, regardless of whether you purchased the GPS application which you subscribed to and downloaded via GIN, GPS 911 location services worked; however, you had to subscribe via GIN for the navigation application. I suppose with Android, those rules change with Google nav. Can anybody confirm fee-free use of GPS NAV on a VZW Android devices?

Upvote 0
No I don't use the browser. I use the Google Voice app.

Voice is a complete replacement for the stock Android messaging system. It synchronizes with your Voice inbox in the cloud and you get notifications just like with regular SMS. Exactly the same as the regular non-Voice sms. Except it doesn't count towards SMS.

That's amazing. I'm kind of flabbergasted that the carriers allow this. Well, good news!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones