• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Comparison of IMO and DUO

startac4

Apr 13, 2020
I'd appreciate if anyone has experience with IMO, its functions, usability and security/privacy for making video calls, especially in comparison with google DUO. I'm looking for an alternative to DUO (that won't take all of my contacts) to connect to an iphone though I haven't been able to confirm that IMO runs on Iphone - their website doesn't mention it. If it does run on iphone, whatever information anyone has in comparing the two would be most appreciated.

I'm surprised that no one is posting here to give any information. Is no one really familiar with IMO? It's available on google play store

Personally, I'm skeptical of apps that access address book from vendors I've never heard of, and that may not be intentionally malicious, but just insecure code. There are a bunch of negative reviews at playstore including people being hacked via imo.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised that no one is posting here to give any information. Is no one really familiar with IMO? It's available on google play store
sorry never heard of it. i have used duo once or twice. not really into video calling. what about zoom? it seems more people are using that.

Upvote 0
Thank you for pointing that out, Trom. That's a good reason to avoid it.

Ocnbrze: There are security issues with ZOOM - they've been documented in the forum, probably on one of my other topics. I know a lot people use but I am not comfortable using a product that has had repeated privacy & security breaches. I don't feel I can trust what they say and do. Of course, with Google DUO there isn't any trust at all. You know form the start they are taking all personal contact list information, tracking it and and using it however they want to. I'm starting to wonder if even pays to bother trying to avoid google DUO and rather just accept it.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
FWIW I did have a quick look at IMO in the Play Store. But unfortunately I can't read Arabic, and that's as far as I got with it.

Screenshot_20200504_120207_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
yes it is widely use in Gulf countries.

Gulf countries, really?

Which brings me to the next problem I found with IMO, when I tried installing it. It seems to only accept +1 phone numbers for registration, which is US and Canada, and no way to change it. I'm actually in China, which is +86 phone numbers.
Screenshot_20200504_122245.jpg

So you got Play Store that's in Arabic, but apparently your app/service is only usable in the United States and Canada?

OK

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones