• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Comparison of the Dell Streak, Samsung Galaxy Tab, iPad, and Archos 101

I think the Archos 101 will be to pwn the iPad, Dell Streak, and Samsung Galaxy Tab which are currently the three tablets that are currently receiving the most attention, while others such as Chinese manufactures and others small brand names are making tablets too. I am gong to do a comparison between the Archos 101, Dell Streak, iPad, and Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab_1.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Tab Specs and Pricing
Screen: 7inch 1024x600 tft lcd capacitive touchscreen
Operating System: Android 2.2 with Samsung software enhancements
Processor: 1ghz Arm Cortex A8
Connectivity: Wifi 802.11b/g/n, GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, 2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE) : 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
3G (HSUPA 5.76Mbps, HSDPA 7.2Mbps) : 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz, 30 pin connector
Camera: 1.3mp front facing camera and 3.0mp back camera
Storage: 16gb or 32gb plus sdhc card expansion
Kickstand: none
Pricing: 800-1,000 dollars WHAT!!
What I like about Galaxy Tab: Attractive design, Form factor, Android market support, 3g, Front Camera
What I don't like about the Galaxy Tab: Pricing way to high, proprietary 30pin connector, No kickstand, The back cam in unnecessary due to the size of device, lack of peripheral ports such as USB or hdmi, and the thing is a phone way to big to be a phone.
5-Inch-Dell-Streak.jpg

Dell Streak Specs and Pricing
Operating system: Android 2.1
Processor: 1ghz Qualcomm Snapdragon
Ram: 512mb
Screen: 4.8inch 800x480 tft LCD Capacitive touchscreen
Storage: 2gb of ROM plus 16gb microsd card in the box
Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, GPS with A-GPS, UMTS 2100 / 1900 / 850 MHz GSM, / EDGE 1900 / 1800 / 900 / 850 MHz HSDPA / HSUPA:HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps / HSUPA 5.76 Mbps, 30 pin connector
Camera: 5mp with Dual led Flash and VGA Front Facing Camera.
Pricing: 550 dollars locked to At&t network or 300 dollars with contract
What I like about the Dell Streak: Front Cam, 3g, Android Market, back cam perfect for the device size
What I don't like: Too big to be a phone, Limited to 802.11b/g, locked to At&t, no kickstand, no USB Host, hdmi out must be done through docking station, proprietary 30 pin connector.
apple_ipad.jpg

iPad Specs and pricing
Operating System: iOs 4.1
Processor: 1ghz Apple A4
Ram: 256mb
Screen: 1024x768 9.7inch led backlit IPS screen
Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDRWi-Fi + 3G model also includes: UMTS / HSDPA Tri band–850, 1900, 2100 MHz
GSM / EDGE Quad band–850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz, 30 pin connector
Storage: 16gb, 32gb, 64gb no memory card expansion
Camera: none
Pricing: 500 - 830 dollars depending on whether you get it with or without 3g
What I like about the iPad: design, form factor, it isn't a phone iOs app store, battery life, 3g
What I don't like about it: lack of front cam, lack of peripheral ports such as USB or hdmi, proprietary connector port, iOs limitations (too many to mention)
Archos101.jpg

Archos 101 specs and pricing
Operating System: Android 2.2
Processor: 1ghz Arm Cortex A8
Ram: 256mb
Screen: 10.1inch 1024x600 LCD capacitive touchscreen
Camera: VGA front facing camera
Storage: 8gb or 16gb plus microsd expansion
Connectivity: Wifi: 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1, USB 2.0 host port, mini hdmi, USB 2.0 slave (through microusb)
Kickstand: yes adjustable
Pricing: 300-400 dollars
What I like about the Archos 101: Front camera, the only one of these tablets to have a full sized USB, one of these few tablets can do hdmi out, the price is right 300-400 dollars, adjustable kickstand, it isn't a phone.
What I don't like: no Android market or Google apps, no 3g version available, storage options could be better.
Based on pricing and specs the Archos 101 is the best of them all. I can't wait to try one. I do think the iPad, Dell Streak, and Samsung Galaxy tab are nice devices, but they are either too limited or too pricey.

The Galaxy Tab isn't a phone. What are you talking about? And I fail to see how a fully sized USB port is an advantage rather than a disadvantage. Btw, how is the customer support for Archos. The other Archos tablets have some rather bad reputation on software compatibility. Also, 256MB RAM only. That's very little. Android 3.0 requires a minimum of 512 MB, so you won't be seeing cupcake on Archos in the future.

Also, we don't know if the Galaxy tab can do HDMI out yet.

Upvote 0
The Galaxy Tab isn't a phone. What are you talking about? And I fail to see how a fully sized USB port is an advantage rather than a disadvantage. Btw, how is the customer support for Archos. The other Archos tablets have some rather bad reputation on software compatibility. Also, 256MB RAM only. That's very little. Android 3.0 requires a minimum of 512 MB, so you won't be seeing cupcake on Archos in the future.

Galaxy Tab does HDMI out on a dock stand.

Upvote 0

I think what Railroad means regarding the phone statement is that the initial Galaxy tabs are reported to be sold by all of the major domestic U.S. cellular carriers under a contract. In my estimation this would mean that to purchase the tablet someone would either have to:

1. Add a new data line to their account.
2. Purchase this as an upgrade to an existing data modem on their account.
3. Use their NE2 to purchase the tablet in lieu of a new phone.
4. Or pay full boat retail to purchase it.

Upvote 0
I have owned several Archos products. They tend to be a poorly supported mess and have a fetish for proprietary connections. Not to mention low a55 audio cap due to their STRICT adherence to the euro audio cap law.

Also, expect this puppy to be locked down- real hard. People try to always mod their Archos devices due to poor software efforts, poor updates and the audio cap. This results in HIGH rates of returns and repairs. Archos is trying to make it harder to mod their devices, but still maintain the same level of suck for their products.

BTW, phone function was removed for the US versions of GS Tab- based on all four US carrier's request. The carriers seem to think that getting rid of the phone function will make people extra stupid to buy this and not wait for the wifi-only versions that do not need data contracts or two year commitments. Them-thar carriers are purrteee smart! Taheee! ;)

I AM a hillbilly, so can make the jokes :)

The Galaxy S Wifi only is the way to go- why?

1. Better sound quality than any of the other devices.
2. Twice the operational ram of all but Streak.
3. No proprietary connections or software interfaces needed for data or slow charge.
4. 16gb or 32gb AND a microsd slot
5. Best video codec support of all devices (even the Archos)
6. Good luck with getting 2.2 on the Streak anytime soon ;)

There is no comparison and people saying otherwise are silly or Apple fanboy rubes (both?). ;)

Upvote 0
Not to mention low a55 audio cap due to their STRICT adherence to the euro audio cap law.

There is no comparison and people saying otherwise are silly or Apple fanboy rubes (both?). ;)

I hadn't previously seen the requirements for Android 3.0, and didn't realise that the Archos wouldn't be able to run it (I suppose that may account for the low(ish) price), which I am really disappointed about.

The main reason for the post though is the audio cap. If I interpret your comment correctly, the cap limits the max volume the device can play. I have to say I disagree with the idea that such a thing be mandatory, but so many people listen to music etc way too loudly that I can understand why they introduced it.

I work in a noisy environment, and am a workplace noise assessment officer. We see people in their twenties coming to work who have started to develop tinnitus, or other hearing problems, largely due to listening to music too loudly (either at home or in clubs etc). Tinnitus is a very serious condition which can dramatically affect the quality of life of a sufferer, so much so, that approx 10% of people who suffer from tinnitus will attempt to commit suicide because of it.

Yes the audio cap may be irritating, but it is also worthwhile.

Upvote 0
I hadn't previously seen the requirements for Android 3.0, and didn't realise that the Archos wouldn't be able to run it (I suppose that may account for the low(ish) price), which I am really disappointed about.

The main reason for the post though is the audio cap. If I interpret your comment correctly, the cap limits the max volume the device can play. I have to say I disagree with the idea that such a thing be mandatory, but so many people listen to music etc way too loudly that I can understand why they introduced it.

I work in a noisy environment, and am a workplace noise assessment officer. We see people in their twenties coming to work who have started to develop tinnitus, or other hearing problems, largely due to listening to music too loudly (either at home or in clubs etc). Tinnitus is a very serious condition which can dramatically affect the quality of life of a sufferer, so much so, that approx 10% of people who suffer from tinnitus will attempt to commit suicide because of it.

Yes the audio cap may be irritating, but it is also worthwhile.

Archos is a Euro company, so directly complies with the Euro sound cap- regardless of where the device will be sold. The problem is Archos does not correctly adjust the gain curve, so lower volume could sound better. Weak gain and volume equals awful sound.

As far as updates, Archos are INFAMOUS for releasing a device and forgetting about it as soon as the next model is announced. True.

Upvote 0
I went 180 degrees and ordered the Archos 101. Too many good things about the Archos 101 (IMO) not to choose it:

1. Full usb host, so keyboards, mice and gamepads will work
2. Plug thumbdrives and portable drives staight into device
3. No proprietary connections
4. HDMI out all content to larger display
5. Micro sd
6. Built in 16gb
7. $350 list price

No comparison, IMO. added: But apparently pushed out release until November- noooooo!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones