• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Humm.
Battery is way better on the Razr HD. Either 2550 or 3,300 vs. 2100 on the S3. However, it is not removable on the HD. But with 3,300 you "shouldn't" need to.

Screen. Same technology AMOLED. HD is 4.7 with soft on-screen keys that usually take up about .3 of that display area unless the app says no like movies. Movies will be 4.7 with no buttons shown. The S3 is 4.85 with button on the phone, not the screen so you always have the 4.85 for viewing. Big plus for the S3. However, many people love the on screen keys since they are able to be customized like Google intended. YOu also get a very sleek looking phone with no buttons on the front. Just pure glass.

I had the S3 and the quality was fine as was the looks. However, the Moto phones are supposed to be much better quality. I believe that to be true. Looks are subjective. I like the HD over the S3. Some really hate the S3 and some really hate the HD. Your call. However, I'm 42 and not a child by any means, but the carbon fiber really looks nice to me. Where do you see carbon fiber? Airplanes, fast cars, high performance items, rockets, etc. It is a nice high tech look, modern. However, some will say the CF look is old and gimicy. Some don't like how slipery the S3 is, but I had no issue. It really slide into and out of my pocket easy; silly, but do this 30 times a day and that is a very small thing that makes a big difference. I hope the HD does the same, but slightly stickier. I've used the S3 in my cotton shorts in the gym and have had it slide out while laying flat on a bench.

S3 has 2gb of ram for memory and running programs (not storage). The HD has 1gb. SHouldn't be much if any difference, but I'd prefer the 2gb easily.

Cell phone reception. This is where the HD should rock the S3. A lot, but not all, have had poor reception on the S3. I returned it for poor reception compared to my DX and my wifes Razr Maxx. If you live in an area with a weak signal, might have issues on the S3. Moto "should" be better reception.

Same processors.

Memory S3 has either 16/32/64gb. HD has 16/32gb. Both have memory card slots so that shouldn't matter.

Screen quality. Subjective. I tested 4 S3 and all had dim screens. That is the way they are, AMOLED. The current Razr AMOLED is a little brighter than the S3 side by side. If they improve the current razr display to the new HD (larger and hiDef), I'd suspect the same brightness or more. If so, the HD should be brighter than the S3. Realize that with 20 million S3 sold, the screen is beautiful.
Reports say the HD with color boost (marketing hype) is pretty vivid.

Camera: The S3 will "probably" have a better camera. Both are 8mp, but that isn't everything. The S3 takes pretty good camera phone pictures. Moto has typically been average. Definitely not a leader in this area. The camera, supposedly the same as the current Razr is just acceptable/average. Don't expect much from the HD. I carry a camera most the time, the average phone camera is great for those times when I don't have the dedicated.

Size. What ever you are comfortable with. The HD Maxx is thicker by a fraction, but packs a much larger battery. The S3 can accept a new higher capacity battery that will make the phone thicker and thus will be fatter than the HD Maxx.

Moto typically has better accessories. My Moto car dock and desktop dock are sweet. I havent seen a good car dock for the S3, but by now they probably exist. S3 also has a big choice of nice desktop docks. Wash between the two. I use my moto as gps in my window. The power port on the side makes for a better car dock. S3 needs to plug into the bottom of the phone and when in landscape for gps, now plugs into the side of the dock. Still works fine though. I use the desktop dock also which mounts the same way, landscape. S3 docks will be portrait mode. I like landscape.

My opinion: Moto is better quality with better reception and way better battery 3,300 vs. 2100. I can use the aux head phone jack and bluetooth at the same time. I have my aux cable to my car stereo and when a call comes in my car takes it over BT.
S3: Larger screen is sweet, but dim. Poor reception on mine. Cannot use the headphone jack to put music to my car and BT at the same time. I have to unplug the head phone jack to get the voice to come over the bluetooth.

Since the Moto is not out, I cannot comment on the OS. However, Touch wize seems fine to me, but they threw in some really neat features on the S3. Many you won't use, but I like the mini video player that will show a movie in a small window while using other programs. I.e. surf the net while a movie is playing. Most, if not everyone, will say it is useless because the movie is really small. There are several other cool things. I'd go to a store and play. MOTO new blur skin is supposed to be very unobtrusive and the closest of the large 3 manufactures to a pure google experence the way Google ment it to be. However, it is in no way a google pure phone. Both phones will wait a long time for updates through VZW. I might guess that moto droid might be higher on VZW list for update speed because droid branding means VZW higher line of phone. I have the Droid X which is over 2 years old, but a few months ago, I still got a bug fix update which was nice...even though I lost root access for a couple months.

S3 is already hacked for roms and unlock by hacking. MOTO tends to use hard core encryption to prevent full access, but root ususally follows quickly after release.

Both S3 and Moto HD are supposed to offer developer version with un-encrypted bootloaders. Supposed to...

I returned my S3:
1) Dim screen
2) Poor call reception
3) No aux and BT at the same time. (trivial, but I use both simultaneously daily)

Upvote 0
Humm.
Battery is way better on the Razr HD. Either 2550 or 3,300 vs. 2100 on the S3. However, it is not removable on the HD. But with 3,300 you "shouldn't" need to.

Screen. Same technology AMOLED. HD is 4.7 with soft on-screen keys that usually take up about .3 of that display area unless the app says no like movies. Movies will be 4.7 with no buttons shown. The S3 is 4.85 with button on the phone, not the screen so you always have the 4.85 for viewing. Big plus for the S3.

I had the S3 and the quality was fine as was the looks. However, the Moto phones are supposed to be much better quality. I believe that to be true. Looks are subjective. I like the HD over the S3. Some really hate the S3 and some really hate the HD. Your call.

S3 has 2gb of ram for memory and running programs (not storage). The HD has 1gb. SHouldn't be much if any difference, but I'd prefer the 2gb easily.

Cell phone reception. This is where the HD should rock the S3. Many, but not all, have had poor reception on the S3. I returned it for poor reception compared to my DX and my wifes Razr Maxx. If you live in an area with a weak signal, might have issues on the S3. Moto "should" be better reception.

Same processors.

Memory S3 has either 16/32/64gb. HD has 16/32gb. Both have memory card slots so that shouldn't matter.

Screen quality. Subjective. I tested 4 S3 and all had dim screens. That is the way they are, AMOLED. The current Razr AMOLED is a little brighter than the S3 side by side. If they improve the current razr display to the new HD (larger and hiDef), I'd suspect the same brightness or more. If so, the HD should be brighter than the S3.
Reports say the HD with color boost (marketing hype) is pretty vivid.

Camera: The S3 will "probably" have a better camera. Both are 8mp, but that isn't everything. The S3 takes pretty good camera phone pictures. Moto has typically been average. Definitely not a leader in this area. The camera, supposedly the same as the current Razr is just acceptable/average. Don't expect much from the HD. I carry a camera most the time, the average phone camera is great for those times when I don't have the dedicated.

Size. What ever you are comfortable with. The HD Maxx is thicker, but packs a much larger battery. The S3 can accept a new higher capacity battery that will make the phone thicker and thus will be fatter than the HD Maxx.

Moto typically has better accessories. My Moto car dock and desktop dock are sweet. I havent seen a good car dock for the S3, but by now they probably exist. S3 also has a big choice of nice desktop docks. Wash between the two. I use my moto as gps in my window. The power port on the side makes for a better car dock. S3 needs to plug into the bottom of the phone and when in landscape for gps, now plugs into the side of the dock. Still works fine though. I use the desktop dock also which mounts the same way, landscape. S3 docks will be portrait mode. I like landscape.

My opinion: Moto is better quality with better reception and way better battery 3,300 vs. 2100. I can use the aux head phone jack and bluetooth at the same time. I have my aux cable to my car stereo and when a call comes in my car takes it over BT.
S3: Larger screen is sweet, but dim. Poor reception on mine. Cannot use the headphone jack to put music to my car and BT at the same time. I have to unplug the head phone jack to get the voice to come over the bluetooth.

I returned my S3:
1) Dim screen
2) Poor call reception
3) No aux and BT at the same time. (trivial, but I use both simultaneously daily)

Holy crap that was an awesome review! Thanks alot, leaning towards the Moto. :)

Upvote 0
Holy crap that was an awesome review! Thanks alot, leaning towards the Moto. :)

Don't automaticly dismiss the S3 though.
  • Not everyone has reception issues.
  • Many people (20million) seem to think the screen is fine
  • 2100mah is a decent battery for sure and you can go larger
If you can wait, compare them. If not, give the S3 a shot and return in 14 days if you don't like it.

Upvote 0
Don't automaticly dismiss the S3 though.
  • Not everyone has reception issues.
  • Many people (20million) seem to think the screen is fine
  • 2100mah is a decent battery for sure and you can go larger
If you can wait, compare them. If not, give the S3 a shot and return in 14 days if you don't like it.

I can't speak on reception or the screen issues. Dimness is pretty relative especially if you're a regular indoor user.

But on the battery: No contest. 3,300 mah is a BEAST. I've had my razr maxx for 2 months and I'm STILL tripping out on the battery. The Maxx HD is going to blow the S3 completely out of the water. Just can't beat it. It's been 2 months and I can't figure out what else to do with the phone to kill the battery in a day's on the go. I couldn't care less about all the other features when I couldn't even go to a baseball game and update my facebook for fear of losing 40% of my battery in an hour. No problem with the maxx.

Not sure if you've ever even tried the maxx. If you haven't, try it and you'll be blown away at the balls that phone has to keep chugging after throwing a lot at it.

Upvote 0
But on the battery: No contest. 3,300 mah is a BEAST. I've had my razr maxx for 2 months and I'm STILL tripping out on the battery. The Maxx HD is going to blow the S3 completely out of the water. Just can't beat it. It's been 2 months and I can't figure out what else to do with the phone to kill the battery in a day's on the go. I couldn't care less about all the other features when I couldn't even go to a baseball game and update my facebook for fear of losing 40% of my battery in an hour. No problem with the maxx.

Not sure if you've ever even tried the maxx. If you haven't, try it and you'll be blown away at the balls that phone has to keep chugging after throwing a lot at it.

Well if you don't mind a good bit of heft over the S3 standard batter or even Maxx for that matter the S3 always has this option. That's 1300 over the Maxx if you are just an insane power user.

[HLI-I9300XL] Buy Mugen Power 4600mAh Extended Battery for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 / AT&T Samsumg Galaxy S III I747 / Verzion Samsung Galaxy S III I535 / Sprint Samsung Galaxy III L710 / T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy III T999 / US Cellular Samsung Galaxy I

Upvote 0
Well if you don't mind a good bit of heft over the S3 standard batter or even Maxx for that matter the S3 always has this option. That's 1300 over the Maxx if you are just an insane power user.

[HLI-I9300XL] Buy Mugen Power 4600mAh Extended Battery for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 / AT&T Samsumg Galaxy S III I747 / Verzion Samsung Galaxy S III I535 / Sprint Samsung Galaxy III L710 / T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy III T999 / US Cellular Samsung Galaxy I

While I agree that replaceable batteries are nice and, within reason, an extended battery in the pocket is just as good as the Maxx. If you go with a 4,600, it will literaly be a brick. That is HUGE. I'd personally go for one extra 2150 from the factory. That way you can put the battery in your pocket, desk drawr, glovebox, purse, what ever and keep a small phone. A brick in your pocket would most certainly be more of a pain to deal with daily than an extra battery laying around.
At least you have that option where the Maxx won't. 4,600 WOW.

BTW: What is an extream power user? Downloading bit torrent 5gb movies on LTE over your phone? Wonder how long one could surf the net/game straight with 4,600?

Upvote 0

The cool thing about those is that they can also make your phone double as a self-defense weapon by knocking someone out with it.

Upvote 0
While I agree that replaceable batteries are nice and, within reason, an extended battery in the pocket is just as good as the Maxx. If you go with a 4,600, it will literaly be a brick. That is HUGE. I'd personally go for one extra 2150 from the factory. That way you can put the battery in your pocket, desk drawr, glovebox, purse, what ever and keep a small phone. A brick in your pocket would most certainly be more of a pain to deal with daily than an extra battery laying around.
At least you have that option where the Maxx won't. 4,600 WOW.

BTW: What is an extream power user? Downloading bit torrent 5gb movies on LTE over your phone? Wonder how long one could surf the net/game straight with 4,600?

Think the bigger deal is not having to worry about plugging the phone in general. Even lte nav and BT pandora with some phone use in the care wouldn't require hassling with the plug on most trips with that sorta juice. That I think is worse than torrents, more common use, and is so bad its hard to find car chargers that can supply the full 1amp juice to keep up anyhow. With almost 5ah it would be a non issue even if you were the sort that needed such use most of a work day and didn't want to hassle with a plug every time you get in the car.

Upvote 0
I've had my razr maxx for 2 months and I'm STILL tripping out on the battery.

The razr Maxx is like the Original Driod, setting the standard, raising the bar on what a good phone is. The Maxx pushed what a phone battery should be. Even the new HD with 2550 is considerably better than all other factory batteries in phones. What else has more capacity? Nada as far as I know, unless your in the phablet world. Next biggest is the S3 at 2100 right? That is about 18% smaller than the standard Droix Razr HD.
I'm glad Moto got it right with the 3,300. They could have easily justified the 2550 for the Maxx and say with the "new S4 chip" it is as good as the "old S3 chip" and larger battery. Nope, they took the effecient S4 chip and put the same 3,300 behind it. Good moto, good.
I bet anyone anamord with the life of the Razr Maxx will be ellated to see how well the new HD maxx is with same battery and S4 chip.

Are we now upto THREE days for light users, 2 days moderate, and 1+days with heavy users? I think we are. Last year, no one would have a two day phone really for moderate users. I'd just like to say Thank You Moto.

I will likely get this phone, and secretly wishing the screen on the TBD HTC 5" device or Note II will suck. With poor radio isses on the S3, I'm hoping the Note II does not keep up with the HTC. I can do 5" as the S3 at 4.85 was great. 5.5" on the note II and larger than the huge note I, hmm, hesitation.
I'd really like to see the HTC phone and what screen technology and battery size it will have.
Shame on Moto for not having the phone out now as they would have assured a purchase from me. Now the field of choices has delayed my purchase.

Upvote 0
The razr Maxx is like the Original Driod, setting the standard, raising the bar on what a good phone is. The Maxx pushed what a phone battery should be. Even the new HD with 2550 is considerably better than all other factory batteries in phones. What else has more capacity? Nada as far as I know, unless your in the phablet world. Next biggest is the S3 at 2100 right? That is about 18% smaller than the standard Droix Razr HD.
I'm glad Moto got it right with the 3,300. They could have easily justified the 2550 for the Maxx and say with the "new S4 chip" it is as good as the "old S3 chip" and larger battery. Nope, they took the effecient S4 chip and put the same 3,300 behind it. Good moto, good.
I bet anyone anamord with the life of the Razr Maxx will be ellated to see how well the new HD maxx is with same battery and S4 chip.

Are we now upto THREE days for light users, 2 days moderate, and 1+days with heavy users? I think we are. Last year, no one would have a two day phone really for moderate users. I'd just like to say Thank You Moto.

I will likely get this phone, and secretly wishing the screen on the TBD HTC 5" device or Note II will suck. With poor radio isses on the S3, I'm hoping the Note II does not keep up with the HTC. I can do 5" as the S3 at 4.85 was great. 5.5" on the note II and larger than the huge note I, hmm, hesitation.
I'd really like to see the HTC phone and what screen technology and battery size it will have.
Shame on Moto for not having the phone out now as they would have assured a purchase from me. Now the field of choices has delayed my purchase.

For a while we all thought there wouldn't be a Maxx version and that Moto would justify it by charging the highest price for 2500 mah and a (more efficient processor).
The big question for me is if the efficiency of the S4 chip will be greater than the power a bigger HD screen will need to work. If the difference is +/- 5% it will be a great phone. If the efficiency is greater than 5% of the power the new HD screen will use compared to the old Razr Maxx then the phone will be the best.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I love the Maxx battery, but I've killed it a couple of times in 12 hours. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan, just being honest. The battery can be drained in a half day.

It all depends on what you do. Most people are going to have trouble killing the battery in 12 hours on these phones. I've done it an about 15 hrs before, but it was a pretty unusual day. Still, having a phone that will hold up for 12 hours with the kind of use we are talking about is much better than having one that will only last for 3 or 4.

Upvote 0
It all depends on what you do. Most people are going to have trouble killing the battery in 12 hours on these phones. I've done it an about 15 hrs before, but it was a pretty unusual day. Still, having a phone that will hold up for 12 hours with the kind of use we are talking about is much better than having one that will only last for 3 or 4.

Agreed. It is remarkable.

Upvote 0
I love the Maxx battery, but I've killed it a couple of times in 12 hours. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan, just being honest. The battery can be drained in a half day.

I've also killed mine a few times. Its right about on par (on lte) with my old dx and extended battery.

Very curious to see how the s4 does in real world usage. I don't think the screen will suck all that much additional power. Its not like they doubled screen size.

Upvote 0
My problem with the razr hd is that by the time it comes out, we're going to start seeing phones with the quad core s4 pro chips with 2gb ram and better screens (lg optimus g kills the razr on paper.) Even the note 2 has the exynos quad and a better screen than the s3, and the 5 inch htc phone supposedly has a 480 ppi 1080p screen. Also, how is Google letting this phone release without jelly bean? This phone should've been released 4 months ago if it wanted to be competitive, as i wouldn't even consider it if it isn't released until November.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones