• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

compass for a Nokia 2.4

brontosaurus

Apr 30, 2021
Hello all, This is my first post on here. I have just got my first mobile phone at at at well over 80 it will most likely be my last. I would like to put a compass on it but do not seem able to do so . The phone is a Nokia 2.4. I can get a picture of a compass on the screen but it will not work. I am looking for a free one. Of course this phone might not be able to have a compass. Thank you for any help but please make it easy as I am not up on modern technology.

Hello all, This is my first post on here. I have just got my first mobile phone at at at well over 80 it will most likely be my last. I would like to put a compass on it but do not seem able to do so . The phone is a Nokia 2.4. I can get a picture of a compass on the screen but it will not work. I am looking for a free one. Of course this phone might not be able to have a compass. Thank you for any help but please make it easy as I am not up on modern technology.

HI bronto, I have two suggestions, the first being "GPS Test", a very well written app with lots of features, and the other is called, "just a compass". These compasses use GPS to display the compass, and both are free; I have the paid {ad free} version of GPS test, and the other is totally free no ads although you can buy di Screenshot_20210430-025607.jpg Screenshot_20210430-025641.jpgfferen themes

Upvote 0
I checked earlier, and like my spare Moto E6 the 2.4 doesn't have a magnetometer / compass / e-compass sensor.

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_2_4-10460.php

However, looking more, while I couldn't find Just a Compass, the GPS Test app does have a basic compass available on the bottom and seems to basically work with just the GPS hardware (?).
Google Maps directions work fine without a compass sensor, barring a few irritations.
Good luck trying the app out.

My thanks again to @Trom

Screenshot_20210430-134212.png Screenshot_20210430-134233.png
similar to those shots earlier, above.

IMG_20210430_133747.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Hello, Many thanks to all for the information. I have never had a mobile phone but as I will need one for travel to prove vaccination etc my son bought me this one which seems as if it will do the job / I spend a lot of time in America / Before pandemic / and intend to go back. I hope it is permitted soon as I am well over 80. I have learnt a lot about phones since getting this one and a compass for me would be useful as would a star finder but at the moment I will stick with this one then maybe sell it and upgrade as I will in the futre know exactly what I need. I have tried the GPS TEST APP and no matter what I do I cannot get anything from it so if anyone can tell me a way to indicate North or South on the phone my thanks to you. I live on the Shetland isles Scotland.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Hello, Many thanks to all for the information. I have never had a mobile phone but as I will need one for travel to prove vaccination etc my son bought me this one which seems as if it will do the job / I spend a lot of time in America / Before pandemic / and intend to go back. I hope it is permitted soon as I am well over 80. I have learnt a lot about phones since getting this one and a compass for me would be useful as would a star finder but at the moment I will stick with this one then maybe sell it and upgrade as I will in the futre know exactly what I need. I have tried the GPS TEST APP and no matter what I do I cannot get anything from it so if anyone can tell me a way to indicate North or South on the phone my thanks to you. I live on the Shetland isles Scotland.

Yeh, Hi. I live outside London and that app didn't work on a second try late last night, despite the compass working after initial gps searches on the main screen. I couldn't figure it out, sorry. It's not my main phone any more.

If you need advice on what features to look for and how to find them listed let us know. There are excellent choices now under £200,300 or 400. You'll want to be sure they can work with the US carrier you may use as well. Most members here are on that side of the pond.

I may not be able to respond much myself today, not sure.

Nokia, Motorola, Google Pixels, Samsungs and other brands have very good models. .

Upvote 0
Must say i have just found out my new Motorola E7 does not have a magnetic/inertial sensor. So, no compass, no star finder! What a disappointment!. I thought these days all phones would have this. My old Galaxy S5 has all this and still works.

Surely some app code writer can commandeer the GPS to feed direction info into a "compass" app that will not require a magnetic senor.

Marty

Upvote 0
I checked earlier, and like my spare Moto E6 the 2.4 doesn't have a magnetometer / compass / e-compass sensor.

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_2_4-10460.php

However, looking more, while I couldn't find Just a Compass, the GPS Test app does have a basic compass available on the bottom and seems to basically work with just the GPS hardware (?).
Google Maps directions work fine without a compass sensor, barring a few irritations.
Good luck trying the app out.

My thanks again to @Trom

View attachment 157288 View attachment 157289
similar to those shots earlier, above.

View attachment 157291

Now this is strange.
I checked MY e6 with CPU Info, and a magnetometer DOES exist on the device.

So, I have a multi-purpose utility app called Army Knife For Android, that has among other things a compass feature.

But features that sensors do not exist for do not show up as available features.

No compass shows up!

So I downloaded a sweet one that I have on an older device, Guass Meter from Keuwlsoft.
And it works just fine.

Go figure.

Upvote 0
That CPU Info (nice app) doesn't show a compass sensor listing unless it's Device Orientation. I have a different E6 anyhow.
I couldn't find that Guass app for now, but I'm not bothered about the sensor as its not my daily and I've had other devices without magnetometers before.

Weird how that GPS Test app works as if I have a sensor occasionally.

Screenshot_20210713-101145.png Screenshot_20210713-101057.png Screenshot_20210713-101039.png Screenshot_20210713-101549.png Screenshot_20210713-101614~2.png

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Oh, you have the e+.
Not sure what the differences are.

But (on mine) isn't it odd that the compass feature in one app will work, but not in another app?

I know that the KuewelSoft Gauss meter will not work on a device without a magnetometer, as I have an old device with and another without.

Strange that the Android Army Knife compass wont work on my e6.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones