1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Compass Not Responding at All!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by robsclone, Jul 5, 2009.

1. robsclone

robsclone Member

Dec 17, 2008
    In multiple applications (StreetView, SkyMap, Compass, New Horizons) my G1's compass does not seem to be responding. Every app that uses the compass seems to hang during a "Loading..." type stage, except for StreetView, which loads but Compass Mode just does not function.

A forum search found some people whose compass seems to be srong by some degrees or uncalibrated, but I haven't seen anybody where it just did not respond.

Powering off/on (removing battery) doesn't seem to help.

Is there any way to test the compass in my G1, or any way to reset it?

Thank you!

Advertisement

2. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Sounds like you need to call the experts at the tech support for your provider. If it's not responding in any app, then it's likely broken and may need to be replaced, or the whole handset may need replacement.

3. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    By "compass" do you mean the GPS?

If yes, are you sure its on ?

Most apps I have used won't "turn on" the GPS. You have to turn it on before you start the app. It will take a couple of minutes for it to find the sattilites, but then it should be good to go.

4. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    I doubt they mean GPS as the phone does have an internal compass, and the compass app doesn't use GPS at all.

5. crazy88

crazy88 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    I never knew the g1 had a compass until I read this thread. I have tried mine, and it doesn't see, very accurate :(

I used orienteer to test mine, free from the market

6. Finbar

Finbar New Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I am having the same problem. Compass not working but weirdly the magnometer function is still there. I understood this to use the same hardware. Did you ever get it to work again?

Fin

Tags: