1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Complete backup and restore software?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by g00dByeApple, Jan 26, 2014.

1. g00dByeApple

g00dByeApple Newbie
    None

Jan 23, 2014
    United States
    I've looked at some of the other forums on here and they all seem to have gone cold. Since it's been nearly 2 years since the last post of identical threads, I wanted to see if anyone has any additional recommendations for completely backing up and restoring a phone. Below are the threads I've reviewed.

http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/503865-complete-backup-complete-restore.html
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/407541-complete-backup-restore-gs2.html
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...kup-restore-complete-settings-prefrences.html

The reason I'm inquiring is that I just fell victim to Kies being a POS. I knew that it wasn't going to restore backup data, but I thought at least it would keep all the phone settings and configuration. I guess that would only "work" if you didn't perform a fresh factory ROM install like I did. The reason for the refresh is that my phone was starting to hang, and reboot after being frozen for 90 seconds. It started 7 days ago and I would experience this a couple times a day, and I just got the phone January 2nd. Since it was Rooted with a week after getting it, I thought the Rooting might be the issue. So here I am, with a non-rooted phone hoping the problem doesn't continue.

Advertisement

2. Paul7876

Paul7876 Well-Known Member
    None

May 29, 2010
    Check Helium in the Play Store, it can backup, sync and restore apps and data on non-rooted devices by using the built in Android backup mechanism.
    One point to note is that if you're not rooted, you need to plug your device into your computer and run a small companion program every time you reboot your phone

3. g00dByeApple

g00dByeApple Newbie
    None

Jan 23, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to check it out and see how it does, once I do a "factory" reset and wipe the phone. Too bad a factory reset, doesn't revert the phone to the Android version the phone came with, but that's a different project. :)

4. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K
    You can't revert back to something that is no longer there. Even an Over the Air update (OTA) completely wipes old and installs certain new sections of code completely. :)

As for backups, it really is my only beef with Android. I'd love to be able to do a factory reset and in an instant and restore all my homescreens, apps, settings or better still the bits I want to keep that I know weren't the reason for a factory reset. It is one of the reasons I don't flash every new ROM I like the look of, the setting up of it after a complete wipe and reflash.

5. g00dByeApple

g00dByeApple Newbie
    None

Jan 23, 2014
    United States
    Maybe one day mobile devices can be imaged like a regular computer. It sucks that a factory ROM can't replace data on an SD card. Wonder how it would behave if I formatted the internal card and really erased everything and tried to flash the stock ROM. .:)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.