1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Complete confusion adding files to SD Card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mm43, Feb 9, 2011.

1. mm43

mm43 Android Enthusiast

Read different tips about addding photos,music,video to the storage card
    So thought I would add a few of each to see if it worked ok
    So created video,photo and music folders on pc to add.

Opened the Storage card and was stumped lol
    There was a folder there already called photos

So do I add the pics there or not?

The music i seem to have lost somewhere (added that to the music folder)

The videos were mp4s but all 3 won't play

Now even the mp4 video I received via email (that played fine) refuses to play now

What am I doing wrong:eek:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

Sometimes some apps take a little while to recognise that you have added files to the SD card. Sometimes restarting the phone hurries thing along.

mm43 likes this.
  3. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

You can put pics in 'photo'

the pics that you have taken with the camera phone are in 'DCIM'

4. mm43

mm43 Android Enthusiast

Well I have deleted the files I added now and awaiting further instructions lol

So can you tell me - Photos , do I put them in the photos folder already there? Or create a new one?
    Is it possible also to combine the ones I have been emailed and taken with the phone camera into one folder?
    Music and Video , do I create new folders for them also?
    Or put them in folders already on the sd card?
    Seemed easy like my ipod when I started lol

Will it also confuse matters if I delete the default photos & music off the phone?

5. ephbee

ephbee Well-Known Member

i just put tunes or pics or vids straight onto sd card without putting in any folders,tunes show up in music, pics and vids are in gallery, not the neatest when you look at sd card, but i found similar problems to you when i put into folders, such as not showing up or missing album art.

mm43 likes this.
  6. mm43

mm43 Android Enthusiast

Thanks
    Will it also confuse matters if I delete the default photos & music off the phone?

Also is it best then to leave the photo folders that are already on the phone as default and just move all my photos into one?

Though would be nice to have family photos,holiday photos folders etc

7. mm43

mm43 Android Enthusiast

Lastly do I need Astro or something to manage the few files I will put on the phone?

As if I fill the SD Card not got a clue how you have to transfer whats on it to another card without problems

8. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

the default htc gallery should find all pics and videos on the SD and lump them all together.

I have downloaded quickpic from the market after seeing it recommended somewhere on here.

If you've got that you can make folders called anything you like and it will find them and keep them separate.

So you could have your family photos in a folder called 'Family Photos' and your holiday photos in 'Ibiza 2008', 'Blackpool 2009' etc. and quickpic lets you look at these folders individually.

mm43 likes this.
  9. mm43

mm43 Android Enthusiast

Too old to go to Ibiza lol Blackpool no thankyou:D
    Will look for that App now thanks.

10. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

You don't need Astro or ES file manager but it's qucte good to be able to explore what's on the SD card without plugging your phone into the PC.

I like ES file manager beacuse I can copy files to and from the shared folders on my PC wirelessy when the phone is connected to my home wifi.

11. mm43

mm43 Android Enthusiast

DownloadedQuickpic but it just looks like a basic photo viewer Im missing something here
    Was hoping I could rename a video and create folders Tapping Menu doesnt seem to help

Not sure if to download Es also

12. ephbee

ephbee Well-Known Member

mm try an app called androxplorer, free from market, which is a file explorer you can look in folders and rename( be careful). i think everyone should have one myself, one of my most used apps, similar to astro or es file explorer( i've tried them all)

mm43 likes this.
  13. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

Sorry I should have been clearer. Quickpic is a just photo viewer, but it respects your folder structure instead of lumping all your photos together.

you would need to use your PC or - Astro/ES file explorer/Androexplorer/Linda/any of the other free file explorer apps - to put the pictures into the folders.

Does that make sense?

mm43 likes this.
  14. mm43

mm43 Android Enthusiast

It makes perfect sense thank-you both for all the help you are giving me with my new phone. Will try a file explorer also. Which is the most basic one then? Not planning on putting too many files on my card yet only got the 2gb one that came with the phone and not sure how.much room I.have or how to transfer files off it if I should eve need a.bigger one

15. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

MM, The latest update to QuickPic actually lets you create folders and move photos into them.

To see how much room you got left go to the home screen and click menu, settings, SD & phone storage, the second line is how much space you have on the SD card.

mm43 likes this.
  16. ephbee

ephbee Well-Known Member

try androxplorer

mm43 likes this.
  17. mm43

mm43 Android Enthusiast

Was just prompted to download Quickpic update so.found out thanks
    Like the program a lot. Thanks now I also know I still have lots of space on my 2gb card too . Is it easy to transfer everything should it get full?

18. mm43

mm43 Android Enthusiast

T
    Thanks will do it now

19. mm43

mm43 Android Enthusiast

T
    Not too good internet reception this morning but downloaded androxplorer. But looking at it I don't think I am quite ready for it yet . As often hit wrong keys lol

20. ephbee

ephbee Well-Known Member

when in andro explorer, press menu, view ,menu, view. will take you to icon mode, everything much bigger.
    you can also change themes..... menu, preferences, themes
    and don't worry if you do anything by mistake, you always have to confirm actions first, no instant deletes:D

mm43 likes this.
  21. mm43

mm43 Android Enthusiast

You make it all sound so simple lol :thinking:

HTC Wildfire Forum

The HTC Wildfire release date was May 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 384GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

May 2010
Release Date
Reviews