1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Complete factory reset - not just clear user data?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DaleRAF, Dec 12, 2011.

1. DaleRAF

DaleRAF Lurker
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Hi everyone,

My HTC Desire just isn't working at the moment. Well I mean it is; but then it isn't. I've always been a bit of a 'bleedin edge technology user; but not a "power" user, so i've never done anything like rooting or goldcards or anything like that; but basically i've owned it since launch however long ago that was!

It's unlocked as bought from CPW, with my BT Mobile (Vodafone) SIM, and I recall one OTA Android update. Here's the Software Information screen:

Android Version:
    Baseband Version:
    32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27
    Kernel Version:
    2.6.32.15-gf5a401c
    Build Number:
    2.29.405.5 CL293415 release-keys
    Software Number:
    Browser Version:
    Webkit 3.1

Here's a selection of what it does / doesn't do:

a) Shut down properly. I press+hold power button, click Power Off, and then click OK at the "Your phone will shut down" prompt and put the phone back in my pocket. Half an hour later I'll take it out to check for messages. etc. and the phone is STILL showing "Shutting down..." on the screen.

b) Start up properly. Sometimes I start the phone up; and when it looks like it's booted I'll swipe to unlock and freezes (with the clock sort of half showing) - need to remove battery and then fingers crossed it starts properly next time

c) Date and time sometimes do not update; so after finally getting the phone to boot it thinks it's midnight on Jan 1st 1980 even though set to automatically update off the network

d) Doesn't register with the mobile network properly (note: my assumption). Phone looks to all intents an purposes to be working - good signal showing; but then I phone it from my landline and it goes straight to voicemail. I used to re-boot to recover this scenario but have since found going in and out of Airplane mode springs it back into life. May be related to c) of course. Phone in this state does not receive SMS, have data connection; or ergo not alert me to having received voicemail.

Thank you for listening - and so to my question! Is there any way to do a COMPLETE factory reset - above and beyond just deleting user data. I've done the press+hold VOL+ and power up to get the skateboarding Androids and done the delete user data - but that doesn't sound like enough to me - it's not user data that's the problem; I just get the impression that system data become FUBAR.

Thanks for any advice / pointers!

D.

Advertisement

2. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Beautiful Dorset
    Could be your sim or sd card? Try giving the sim a wipe. Otherwise, settings-privacy-factory data reset.

3. DaleRAF

DaleRAF Lurker
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Thanks for the quick reply shauny - i've previously tried the cleaning SIM / SD card thing but to no avail i'm afraid.

I did that recently because I was having the "Mount as disk drive" problem where the Desire stops talking to my car stereo via USB and figured that driving over potholes was temporarily disconnecting the SD card and freezing the data transfer. Bit of tissue paper solved that one.

However I don't see a Settings > Privacy option at all - i'm running stock Android / HTC Sense...

4. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Beautiful Dorset
    Oh, I'm rooted on an asop rom , haven't used sense for a long time. There should be a similar option in your settings somewhere .

5. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Android Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    On my Desire it's Settings>SD and phone storage>Factory Data Reset. But make sure you've got al your user data backed up!

DaleRAF and shauny13 like this.
  6. DaleRAF

DaleRAF Lurker
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Thanks - I'll try that reset method as soon as it's convenient!

Out of interest, I have since discovered that when the phone is appearing to be online (bars and connection method showing) but nothing is working, if I then press+hold the power button the dialog is showing that the phone is in Airplane mode - so that looks like the core problem all along I'd just not looked carefully enough at the power off dialogue.

Somehow, my Desire is going into Airplane mode by itself, whilst still showing a signal strength and connection method (E/G/H etc.).

7. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Beautiful Dorset
    Maybe it is an app you are using, a profile or battery saving app, usually does this sort of thing?

DaleRAF likes this.
  8. DaleRAF

DaleRAF Lurker
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Thx Shauny, the vol+ / power-up / skateboarding Androids / reset method removed all apps I'd installed (they presumably come under user data) and the problem remains so I don't think it's that i'm afraid - I've not (knowingly!) installed a power saving app previously.

Tags: