1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Complete Newbie, Help with phone choice, please

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jc1762, Feb 14, 2011.

1. jc1762

jc1762 Lurker

Hey Everyone,

I'm a complete newbie and still live in the "stone age" as to smart phones, etc. So I'd like to appeal to everyone for some help. I've already posted this once in the introductions, accidentally, but I figured this would be a better place to post...

I'm currently a US expat in China still using a Palm T/X and a cheap $20 cell phone from six (6!) years ago. I was recently laughed at by some of my other expat coworkers as to using the palm.

It was somewhat of a wake up call, but I adamantly refuse to be an Apple fanboy and get the iPhone.

In that regard, I've done alot of shopping around and am rather lost so any advice would be helpful with respect to the below conditions

Necessary
    - UNLOCKED for GSM use in China
    - Calendar - I work in law and deadlines are treated very seriously in this line of work. As I will be constantly scheduling meetings, etc, I'm debating between a full keyboard or touch screen. (Any thoughts on this?)
    - Expenses - I need to log all my expenses for reimbursement from work (when applicable) and view them in an Excel or Google spreadsheet at the end of the month. I believe I can get an app for this?
    - PDF/Office Documents - I need to able to edit office documents, etc. on the go. I just need to be able to read PDFs.
    - Text or some word processing capability in Japanese. Chinese would also be preferable but not required.
    - All the misc stuff - camera, storing photos, writing memos, world clock, e-mail.
    - "Respectable" battery life (at least a day or so?)

Not necessary
    - Music, web surfing.
    - Extra storage via micro SD or SD.

I'm not sure if this is too much. But any help would be appreciated.

My only starting point with some help by my friend is to start off with the Nexus One and get it used and unlocked on Ebay.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Welcome to the forums, jc.

I've moved your questions to the Android Lounge for you.

Several of your requirements are met by applications ("apps") available in the Android Market, which is an app itself included in most Android operating systems. In Market you'll see apps for free and apps for a price, most around one or two or three dollars U.S., but some more than that.

Unlocked and good for use in China, etc, will be answered by others here with experience about those things, I'm sure. ;)

3. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert

Hmmm.... wouldn't a BB be more appropriate for the image of a lawyer?

4. sarahsunshine

sarahsunshine Newbie

My DH just got a BB Torch which has both the touch screen and the keyboard. I got an Optimus Chic (due to having a cheaper plan and phone), but I think I would have liked to get the same. We'll see down the road.

I think that the BB Torch would fit your bill.

jc1762 likes this.
  5. jc1762

jc1762 Lurker

Thanks for the ideas so far.

A BB torch looks good but it doesn't look like it's able to do all I'm looking for - in particular the expenses and syncing with google calendar. Although there are apps that do that, I risk compatibility problems, etc.

Not to mention this scathing review:
    10 reasons why the BlackBerry Torch got sent back | ZDNet

What attracts me towards the nexus one are:
    1. larger screen
    2. complete customization

But what is bothering me is purely the touchscreen. I've heard it's not as sensitive or intuitive as the iPhone hence why I'm looking towards a full keyboard.

Any further thoughts?

JC