• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Complete newbie...

BernyB

Lurker
Jul 11, 2010
I've seen a lot of threads about rooting vs. stock. I know that there is a significant amount of difference from one to the other. It's been compared as day to night. What my main question is what differences did you notice right away? I'm currently running stock but am seriously thinking about rooting and going with a custom rom. My main issues are the lag with the phone.

I'm already pro-rooting but would like to know your experience from before to after you did it. Also can a novice learn how to root and switch back if needed?

I've seen a lot of threads about rooting vs. stock. I know that there is a significant amount of difference from one to the other. It's been compared as day to night. What my main question is what differences did you notice right away? I'm currently running stock but am seriously thinking about rooting and going with a custom rom. My main issues are the lag with the phone.

I'm already pro-rooting but would like to know your experience from before to after you did it. Also can a novice learn how to root and switch back if needed?

Root, you'll be much happier and will have a brand new phone:)

Look for everything root http://androidforums.com/sprint-her...g-guide-updated-7-10pm-est-aug-30-2010-a.html

It all depends what you want with your phone. If you like the Sense UI go with one of these: Fresh [ROM] 08/30/10 | Fresh Hero 2.4.0 | Incremental Update For Freshness - xda-developers or Zen [ROM] Zen-ROM Updated 08-30-2010. - xda-developers or NFX [ROM] NFX-Hero 2.2.1.update1, 9/5/2010 Friendstream+Deodexed/ODEX+JIT & more - xda-developers

if you want an AOSP rom (vanilla android os) go with froyo [ROM] CyanogenMod-6 for Hero CDMA - V6.0.0 (09/18/2010) - xda-developers

Best advice I can give you is read as much as you:)

DO NOT FLASH ANYTHING GSM RELATED:mad:

ONLY CDMA:D

Upvote 0
I'm coming from a flip-phone for the last 4 years and finally got a smart phone (Hero) in March, and just recently rooted. So I've gone through some dramatic changes needless to say. When I first got the Hero, it was freaking awesome. Of course, coming from an old school phone, that's not saying much.

I'm a techy kinda guy and read up on rooting the phone for the last month and finally decided to take the plunge. I loaded CM6 as well as many other mods you'll read about. I will say, the phone is much snappier and quicker. However, with rooting, you'll also run into minor issues with some of the releases so be prepared to stay on top of things and continue reading the forums. For example, the latest build has a minor GPS issue. There's a fix, but if you load a ROM and run with it, you'll run into these things. Just somethign to keep in mind. If you like staying on top of these things and don't mind the occasional issue, I'd say rooting is the way to go. If you aren't techy and dont' want to stay on top of updates and get frustrated with minor issues that may need fixing, I'd stay with the stock. My two cents from my experience.

Upvote 0

I rooted and flashed 2.2 but missed Sense so went back to stock 1.5. Which is the best out of these? I assume they are all better than stock 2.1? ;)

Upvote 0
Try Running Different Launchers - I use LauncherPro - others love ADW -
This got rid of ALL LAG I had.

NO ISSUES LOVE MY HERO

Also - Much easier FIX ... . . . and won't void the Warranty

What does LauncherPro do and where do you get it, I can't find it in the Market? Does this remove stock apps because part of the reason I rooted was to get rid of some stock apps but have yet to figure out how to do it?

Upvote 0
What does LauncherPro do and where do you get it, I can't find it in the Market? Does this remove stock apps because part of the reason I rooted was to get rid of some stock apps but have yet to figure out how to do it?

LauncherPro is a different "theme" for the homescreen. It essentially replaces Sense.

Are you comfortable using CMD to type code or would you rather use an app to get rid of the bloatware?

Upvote 0
Lol! I remember when I used to say that, now I fly through it like it's nothing. :)

You can download Root Explorer from the market. I think it's 1.99

MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP! Open the app, go to system>app. Click on the top so it saw r/w. Long press on the items you want to remove and press "delete."

OR

Use one of the ROM's from above... they mostly have all the bloatware taken out already.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your advice. The thing that aggravates me is that we are coming from Centro's where we had to charge our phones every few days. Right now we're having to charge every day. I know that we could get an after market battery but we would really love to keep our phones as stock as possible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones