• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

I am still getting loads of radio shortage errors when sending texts. That has to do with the radio, Right? Would updating these solve those problems? Where would I find out what versions I currently have installed?

A little side question.. Under system updates... there is update profile.. prl.. and htc updates.. is it safe to click these? Right now I am currently using the jmz stock rooted rom. Will clicking any of these mess up this rom and make certain things not work again?

I am going to most likely s-off and take a look at the 4ext program, Before flashing midnightrom tomorrow, So I dont have to do extra steps. I was dealing with router/modem issues all night and finally got it fixed(thank god I rooted my phone and downloaded a tether app to do research on the problems or I would of been screwed). I really dont feel like diving into this tonight, But most likely will tomorrow because Im going crazy wanting to get it done already. Lol.

Upvote 0
noob question, but on step two, all the downloaded files move to the SD card? Any special place they have to be or just loose?

As jerofld states in that post, they can go anywhere but he recommended putting them in a folder on your sd card labeled rom and also gave you the file path for the pc files that you extracted. Good luck. :D
OB

Upvote 0
Did you actually flash the ROM that was linked? If not, you don't have SuperUser on there. I personally had trouble with this step as I decided NOT to flash that ROM. I ended up flashing SuperUser direclty via my recovery and it worked. If you go this route, you want the ARM version of the Superuser zip, not the x86.

If you did flash a ROM, which one? Please link to is and someone more knowledgeable than me can tell you if that version has SuperUser baked in.

Haha! Come to find out (after attempting the same exact process at least eight times) my SD card was corrupt the entire time! I feel like such a fool, but I take comfort in knowing that none of this was my inability to follow instructions.

Thank you again.

-EDIT- If somebody here is familiar with S-OFF and wouldn't mind answering a couple questions that I have, I'd appreciate it.

1: The website (http://unlimited.io/juopunutbear.htm) does not list the HTC EVO V 4G as a supported device. While the V 4G is practically a repack of the EVO 3D, I don't want to take any chances until I know for a fact this specific link/method is safe.

2: According to the S-OFF guide "Be on the Stock RUU. No other ROMs are supported, Fresh ROM will not work regardless of what you have read elsewhere."

How would I go about to getting back to stock?

Upvote 0
Haha! Come to find out (after attempting the same exact process at least eight times) my SD card was corrupt the entire time! I feel like such a fool, but I take comfort in knowing that none of this was my inability to follow instructions.

Thank you again.

-EDIT- If somebody here is familiar with S-OFF and wouldn't mind answering a couple questions that I have, I'd appreciate it.

1: The website (Unlimited.IO) does not list the HTC EVO V 4G as a supported device. While the V 4G is practically a repack of the EVO 3D, I don't want to take any chances until I know for a fact this specific link/method is safe.

2: According to the S-OFF guide "Be on the Stock RUU. No other ROMs are supported, Fresh ROM will not work regardless of what you have read elsewhere."

How would I go about to getting back to stock?

1. Scroll down a bit. The EVO V is listed under EVO 3D. You'll see that the EVO 3D has MORE download options than any other phone. The reason is because it has two names...and if you scroll down, you'll see 6 download options for the EVO 3D. The last two have (Virgin Mobile) in the names.

2. Use the ROM that's recommended in the newbie rooting guide. It will return you back to stock with Superuser permissions inabled. You need SU.

Upvote 0
sucker's rooted now! actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.

A few questions though:

Is it possible to get into bootloader/fastboot without connecting to PC? Just by the phone? Would that require S-OFF?

I have a 32GB MicroSDHC card I want to use to replace the stock 8GB one. Do I need to wipe SD card/caches to replace? Or do i just replace, reload apps, then wipe old card via PC?

Any idea if this rooting method would work in linux? I'm thinking so, but i'm not sure. Cmd and terminal commands probably would be compatible, but opening the exes such as HTCSync would be a bear

Upvote 0
Is it possible to get into bootloader/fastboot without connecting to PC? Just by the phone? Would that require S-OFF?

IIRC, once you've rooted and have superuser, you'll want a recovery. If you've gotten that far, then you can work from just the phone now. You don't need S-OFF for many things, but you need it for some. Elaborate on what you want to do.

Upvote 0
It seems each time I find someone who is making it easy to root an incred. I have another question to ask! Now I am afraid I don't understand much about anything I can't download from the play store! Was going to follow your post 2, the more detailed version of rooting but somehow, I cannot find it!
I think I am going to give up and just go to Root Android for $30. although our situation financially would be more suited to doing it myself. I just don't have the nerve without actual hand holding! I really thought I was going to do it today and I am very disappointed in myself and my lack of adventure! Oh well, just have to bite the bullet! I hope nothing bad comes from the Root Android website way of rooting!
I just can't keep waiting!

Upvote 0
It seems each time I find someone who is making it easy to root an incred. I have another question to ask! Now I am afraid I don't understand much about anything I can't download from the play store! Was going to follow your post 2, the more detailed version of rooting but somehow, I cannot find it!
I think I am going to give up and just go to Root Android for $30. although our situation financially would be more suited to doing it myself. I just don't have the nerve without actual hand holding! I really thought I was going to do it today and I am very disappointed in myself and my lack of adventure! Oh well, just have to bite the bullet! I hope nothing bad comes from the Root Android website way of rooting!
I just can't keep waiting!
Nevermind! I can't believe it but it feels like I am going to have a nervous breakdown trying to decide if I am going to root or go to Root Android! Third option for me...do nothing!!!
Goodnight all!
D

Upvote 0
Hmmm, you might want to see this...

http://androidforums.com/lounge/662183-root-android-org.html

I'm sure folks here will help, it does take a little time to come up to speed.

Remember the rules of rooting - read lots, read some more, don't panic, and if something is going wrong, stop and ask - don't google and keep trying stuff.

Most root trouble is easily cleared following that advice. ;) :)

Upvote 0
I agree. The evo v section is a very active area of the site. Plenty of us are willing to help you get through this. If you want to root, i suggest doing it yourself for the knowledge.

Once you are rooted, you will inevitably want to change things. Without the understanding of what you are doing, it can be a little dangerous to be messing around with certain things. We have the excellent step by step guide and many helpful members that will answer all your questions.

Just ask anything you don't understand before starting and you'll feel confident soon and be ready to root. It will make more sense once you're actually doing it. It isn't as complicated as it seems, just a lengthy process.

Upvote 0
[
Can I substitute the Harmonia 3.17 rom for the stock odexed rom in the guide, or do I have to flash the stock odexed rom first. This was asked before, but not answered here

Rather than flash the stock rom, i would suggest just flashing supersu. It will just root your stock that you are already on.
You can find that here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Download toward the one called UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip

You don't have to have to flash Harmonia, it's just what the author of the guide suggested. For a beginner guide it's a lot easier to tell people to download one rom to keep things simple.

Upvote 0
IIRC, once you've rooted and have superuser, you'll want a recovery. If you've gotten that far, then you can work from just the phone now. You don't need S-OFF for many things, but you need it for some. Elaborate on what you want to do.

no specific need/idea in mind, other than wiping and changing SD cards without need to connect to a PC. - Was just curious.

Right now i'm just wondering if i can exchange the stock 8GB SD card with my new 32GB SDHC without rerooting and redownloading all the apps I already have. I had wondered about making a copy of all the files from my 8GB card to the new 32GB using dd or copy in linux, for example.

I don't know how many apps are on the card as of now, but i know it's a good bit... the EVO V does not have very much built in ROM...

Upvote 0
[

Rather than flash the stock rom, i would suggest just flashing supersu. It will just root your stock that you are already on.
You can find that here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Download toward the one called UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip

You don't have to have to flash Harmonia, it's just what the author of the guide suggested. For a beginner guide it's a lot easier to tell people to download one rom to keep things simple.

I am referring to the guide at the start at this thread. Although it is possible that I read it wrong, it appears to direct flashing either the stock odexed rom, or the SuperSU you prefer, but no mention is made of Harmonia.

I want to be sure that following that guide Harmonia will work if substituted for what is recommended.

Upvote 0
I am referring to the guide at the start at this thread. Although it is possible that I read it wrong, it appears to direct flashing either the stock odexed rom, or the SuperSU you prefer, but no mention is made of Harmonia.

I want to be sure that following that guide Harmonia will work if substituted for what is recommended.

Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking. Yes you can flash harmonia in place of the stock rom. The stock rom is just suggested as a starting point and as said before, it keeps things simple suggesting one specific rom. Technically you can replace the stock rom with any rom of your choosing (well, for the most part). But yes, use harmonia if you would rather :)

Upvote 0
Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking. Yes you can flash harmonia in place of the stock rom. The stock rom is just suggested as a starting point and as said before, it keeps things simple suggesting one specific rom. Technically you can replace the stock rom with any rom of your choosing (well, for the most part). But yes, use harmonia if you would rather :)

Thank you Brian. I have been running Harmonia on an Optimus V. There are lots of rom's out there but this one suites me.

Upvote 0
no specific need/idea in mind, other than wiping and changing SD cards without need to connect to a PC. - Was just curious.

Right now i'm just wondering if i can exchange the stock 8GB SD card with my new 32GB SDHC without rerooting and redownloading all the apps I already have. I had wondered about making a copy of all the files from my 8GB card to the new 32GB using dd or copy in linux, for example.

I don't know how many apps are on the card as of now, but i know it's a good bit... the EVO V does not have very much built in ROM...

The apps aren't stored on the SD card in their entirety. Copying the SD card and moving that info to another card isn't going to give you what you want. Try looking into Titanium Backup. It will backup all your apps and allow you restore them on a fresh ROM.

EDIT:

To clarify, the apps aren't stored on the SD card at all unless you move them there. The apps do create folders on the SD card to store the data that they generate, but the app itself installs within the ROM.

Upvote 0
Went through and everything seems completely fine, but when I go to superuser and update it says: Gaining root access... fail!

And I can't do anything root with any applications..

I'm new at rooting.

We're going to need some more info. Does the bootloader say unlocked? Which recovery did you install? Did you flash the superuser.zip file through the recovery, or using SDK-tools off a PC?

Reactions: Megatoaster
Upvote 0
Bootloader is unlocked

Flashed what the OP told me to flash, didn't work so I went off-tutorial and flashed the latest Superuser from their website, ARM.

Didn't work so I restored and I'm back to the ROM that OP posted, with no superuser now, panicked because the last step froze but I turned it on and it was fine.

Also, yes, I used SDK-Tools from my PC.

I highly prefer to do sort of a soft-root, no wire-trick, only going to be needing root access.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones