• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

Hello all,
I have been wanting to root my Evo V on Virgin for a LONG time. I am hoping the holidays afford me the time to get the job done.
I have read through SOME of this thread, and am wondering if the initial guide is still up to date. Can I still use the same downloads and directions?
My details:
Model Number: PG86100
Android 4.0.3
HTC Sense 3.6
Software 2.95.652.5 71ORD
Thanks in advance,
RJ

Upvote 0
im all the way to flash zip then i go through installs some things but then says E:error in /tmp/sideload/package/cm-7.2.0-supersonic.zip

Well, i don't know what the exact issue is but which device do you have? This device Forum is for Htc Evo V 4g (Shooter) and the rom you are trying to install is for Htc Evo 4G (Supersonic).

Kind of confusing, I know, but would like to know which device you are using before continuing.

Upvote 0
Well, i don't know what the exact issue is but which device do you have? This device Forum is for Htc Evo V 4g (Shooter) and the rom you are trying to install is for Htc Evo 4G (Supersonic).

Kind of confusing, I know, but would like to know which device you are using before continuing.

model number PG86100
android ver. 4.0.3
htc sense ver. 3.6

I tried the Superuser Patch file from step 1.3 as well no root...

Upvote 0
Could you link a good root for the evo?

Help us help you. :)

Where are you so far?

The instructions in the first two posts of this thread are pretty good - if you can say in those relative terms - example, getting started, or, ok through step 2 in the first post, etc etc, then we can save some time and error.

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
All the way to step 5 is done no back ups made
You'll definitely want to make a backup.

As for a rom suggestion, it's hard to say... What are you looking for?

If you are wanting to stay stock but just have root access on the phone, you can flash the superSU binaries instead of flashing a rom.
You can get those here: SuperSU Download

That zip file (or a rom zip file) will go on the sd card.

So after you make a backup, you would navigate to the install menu in your recovery and then locate the zip file that you put there. Hit okay and you should be good to go...

I assume your phone is still s-on? That you didn't perform the wire trick to get s-off?

If so, your rom choice is more limited because you will only be able to use roms compatible with hboot 1.58.0000. That basically means only Ice Cream Sandwich roms.

I have to go for a bit, but I'll be checking in here and there.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I would like to s-off and have some special rom, I wanted something with some sort of cool networking abilities ill be on my computer today may 7th around 6pm if your around

I will probably be around. Judging by the time you posted this morning, I'm going to assume you mean 6pm eastern time which will be 3pm for me. I'll be at work then, and might be pretty busy, but I'll do my best to keep an eye out.

If you want S-off, you will definitely want to use this guide: http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/695161-s-off-root-fix-everything-all-in-one.html

It's pretty straight forward and easy to follow. Just take it step by step and ask questions if you're stuck on a specific step.
And backup your sd card ahead of time. A few people have ruined their cards during the wire trick.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones