• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

ok need quick help im ready t flash a rom but when i got to recovery and put beging flashing zip part all it says it added /sdcard/*name of rom*.zip nothing else after that and it doesnt do anything

If you're using TWRP 1.1 (which it looks like you are) then you have to select Flash Zips Naowz (or whatever it says for Flash now). TWRP 1.1 allows you to flash multiple zips at the same time, so it's just waiting for you to say go.

Upvote 0
Sorry for a noob question but if I root it this way will it be a "vanilla" ics or will it still have Htc sense On top of it?

You still will have HTC Sense, but after you unlock via this procedure, you can install a CM9 or any other AOSP (vanilla Android) ROM to remove Sense. However, the AOSP ROM pickings for this device are slim and they're buggy.

Reactions: lebrown
Upvote 0
So I got it unlocked and now I am trying to enter in TWRP 1.1.1. How do I go about doing that? So far I'm on step 5 and I've done the following:

We need to turn off one of HTC's defaulted on features. It is the very frustratingly named 'Fast Boot' in Settings > Power. No, this is not 'fastboot' in the Android SDK. This is a feature that is like Hibernate in Windows but for HTC devices. I really hate how HTC calls it this, but that's what they decided to call it.

Next, go to Settings > Applications > Development and check USB Debugging. You'll need this enabled for the adb reboot command. Plus a number of rooting apps require it. Give the computer a few minutes to recognize your phone, install drivers, and so on, if it needs to.

Connect your phone to your computer. From now until you're done flashing your ROM, you will not disconnect the USB cable. So don't even think about it!

Quick tip: Do NOT connect to a USB 3.0 port. For some reason, fastboot will not detect your device if you're connected through a USB 3.0 port. If you're unsure if you have a USB 3.0 port, don't worry about it unless your fastboot commands say that they're waiting for device when the device is hooked up.

Now, in the command prompt, type (or copy and paste):

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

You should now be in your bootloader. It should say "FASTBOOT USB" in red highlight. If so, this is good! If not, make sure HBOOT in the menu is highlighted and push the power button. This will change it to FASTBOOT and it'll detect that it's connected to USB and change in a few seconds.

Now type (or copy):

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
It just reboots my phone and I do not enter TWRP 1.1.1

****EDIT****

I had the older version of TWRP so I placed TWRP 1.1.1 and now I am in recovery :)

Upvote 0
So I got it unlocked and now I am trying to enter in TWRP 1.1.1. How do I go about doing that? So far I'm on step 5 and I've done the following:

It just reboots my phone and I do not enter TWRP 1.1.1

****EDIT****

I had the older version of TWRP so I placed TWRP 1.1.1 and now I am in recovery :)

Just to confirm I understand you correctly: You said you had an older version of TWRP and you used TWRP 1.1.1 to fix your problem. Or you tried using TWRP 1.1.1 and used a newer version (TWRP 2.0 or 2.1) to fix your problem?

Upvote 0
Just to confirm I understand you correctly: You said you had an older version of TWRP and you used TWRP 1.1.1 to fix your problem. Or you tried using TWRP 1.1.1 and used a newer version (TWRP 2.0 or 2.1) to fix your problem?

I tried installing TWRP 1.0.3 but then I installed TWRP 1.1.1 and it installed no problems. Now I'm Rooted :)

Reactions: jerofld
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hey guys i'm trying to flash the recovery but every time i try it say "can not load recovery img" i've followed the instructions pretty carefully and tried flashing it multiple times without any luck. I also tried locking hboot again with RUU, and try the whole process over. If anyone has any clue please let me know

p.s i am putting the recovery in the root of my sdk-tools, and fastboot works when i type it into cmd

Upvote 0
anyone have any ideas?

I had the same problem, it turned out then when i renamed the recovery file to "recovery.img" it actually already had the extension .img so it was "recovery.img.img" and was refusing to flash via fastboot. Rename the file just "recovery" and then do the command as stated

"fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

If that doesnt work, try to re download the recovery, you might have just gotten a bad dl.

Reactions: jerofld
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones