• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

I hate the htc website it wont work for me i am taking this stupid phone back tomorrow. i really don't want to but android without root is worthless and i hate the sense UI with a passion.

EDIT nvm i guess there servers where acting up

Then why did you buy HTC is you hate sense so much? Nothing irritates me more. People who buy HTC and complain about sense. And people who but nonsense phones complaining about wanting sense.

Upvote 0
ok so I unlocked it! but now the recovery img won't load it tells me remote not allowed.and this whole time I been sending commands to cd C:/sdk-tools/sdk-tools. like I said I got it unlocked with a little common sence and a lot of patience.any tips ideals and I tried flashing the zip but no dice. idk Id appreciate some feedback fellas

Try running the RUU. It, generally, fixes problems like that. The Remote file error is due to a problem with the HBOOT.

http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...evo-v-4g-ruu-flashing-guide-unroot-guide.html

Upvote 0
same as others didnt read solution yet i did everything but when i adb reboot bootloader in cmd promt i get:
C:\>cd c:\sdk-tools

c:\sdk-tools>adb reboot bootloader
error: device not found

c:\sdk-tools>
i dont think htc sync gave me evo v's drivers said it did but driver folder is empty. i'm also in windows 8 release preview environment. shouldn't matter tho i just need the v's drivers any chance on of u could just up load drivers or suggest how to get htc sync to work. also i'm 32 bit is sync link compatible i assume so cause i got installed phone wont sync tho... maybe download from them. suggestions or thoughts.:thinking:

Upvote 0
So following your guide I am now unlocked and rooted, thanks!. I installed the Deodex version of the stock rom and everything seems to be working fine but with one problem. I can't get any version of wifi tethering to work which is a must for me. Most apps I try give me "Error Code 67: Unable to establish wireless data connection" or various other errors show within each program. It seems like as soon as I enable them I lose all data connectivity. Anyone have an idea of what's going on? I've tried wifi tether for root, barnacle, one click tether and the stock app.

Upvote 0
Also another question. I have yet to install 4EXT or enable S-OFF. I know S-Off is highly recommended but the whole process seems a little daunting (though I havtcen't read up on it too much yet). Is it really worth it for someone like me? I just want to be able to easily flash roms, etc. What does it do for me that I can't just do with 4EXT?

Upvote 0
got it from xda guy heres site:]

Guide-windows 8-ADB/fastboot solved! - xda-developers

this will get drivers n everything i just did step one on that post. it's late n gonna root tomm. just thought it'll help out guys from earlier post. oh yeah n f**k htc im a cheap bastard and want the best prepaid i can buy. sense don't make sense and sync don't sync blah no wonder samsungs #1....still love opt v!

Upvote 0
got it from xda guy heres site:]

Guide-windows 8-ADB/fastboot solved! - xda-developers

this will get drivers n everything i just did step one on that post. it's late n gonna root tomm. just thought it'll help out guys from earlier post. oh yeah n f**k htc im a cheap bastard and want the best prepaid i can buy. sense don't make sense and sync don't sync blah no wonder samsungs #1....still love opt v!

What. And yet again. You spend 300 on a year old device and it being HTC and you say you are a cheap bastard. I sure won't blow 300 on a device I hate so much. So quit your bitching. You bought it. Deal with it or move back to your crappy optimus v

Upvote 0
every time i go to HTCDev to unlock i select the evo 3d for sprint and hit begin unlocking and nothing happens. It just sits there.

That happened to me too. Funny thing was first time I clicked it, it worked, but then I had to log in, when I got back to that button and clicked it again, it wouldn't work. So I tried opening the page in different browsers, eventually it worked on one of them.

Upvote 0
I never thought getting rooted would be a good thing (and thanks a million for the guide).

I was wondering, does anyone know if it will work (and is safe) to restore apps / app data from backups created using adb?

EDIT

I tried it and all went smoothly. I previously made the backup using the most general settings of adb backup (-shared -apk -system -all).

Upvote 0
I used "All other supported devices", which worked. Stating which to select in the instructions would remove any doubt.

Additionally, another suggestion for the OP would be to mention that HTC Sync installs USB drivers required for ADB to work. "Download and install" would also be more clear--what to do with the other downloads is mentioned in a subsequent step but what to do with HTC Sync is never mentioned.

Thank you for the guide; it made rooting easy-peasy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones