• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Complete reset

OtRod

Lurker
Jan 23, 2022
Have a Mediatek tablet which is fine as backup device generally but can't cope with installing some apps When I use an analytical app it says amongs other things that it's an Android 9.0 KITKAT which I think is way out of date ( 4.4.2?) so that explains some incompatibility issues
A check with Magisk says it's not rooted.
Not bothered at all about " backing up" anything on there so can I go back to a basic system - Android 9.0? with stick ROM and less bloatware is as clean as can be and start from scratch ? Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has had similar thoughts and best way to achieve this target.
Many thanks OtRod

Have a Mediatek tablet which is fine as backup device generally but can't cope with installing some apps When I use an analytical app it says amongs other things that it's an Android 9.0 KITKAT which I think is way out of date ( 4.4.2?) so that explains some incompatibility issues
A check with Magisk says it's not rooted.
Not bothered at all about " backing up" anything on there so can I go back to a basic system - Android 9.0? with stick ROM and less bloatware is as clean as can be and start from scratch ? Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has had similar thoughts and best way to achieve this target.
Many thanks OtRod
nope you can't just jump from android 4 to android 9. your tablet most likely will not be able to handle it. there is a reason why your tablet can't be upgraded to 9.

to get to android 9 , you would need to get a new device.....sorry.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Hiya fellas and thanks As it is it works reasonable for general emails / sending and composing docs and spreadsheets etc and the odd video to pass the time when traveling.
IMO it wouldn't be the end of the world as a spare if I lost or damaged it.
So just wanted to get rid of all the crap I never use and pop on the odd app that I would.
Confused that it mentions Android 9 but then KitKat in spec because I had that way back on an old tablet and as such thought there'd had been other version names since then right up to Android 8.0 Can you explain my confusion pls - am not as savvy as you fellas.
But had heard ( false info?) that if I could factory reset and flash a stock ROM I would be able to install more recent apps Sounds like I was misled so suggestions how to get best out of it as a travel backup much appreciated
Will do analytics of system asap and post on here
Can you tell me main things you need me to tell you pls Thanks OtRod!

Upvote 0
Need more information other than Mediatek tablet please.
Serial number, etc...
I've read many of the replies; with regard the MediaTek T906 - 10" tablets for which I thank you, none of those replies has mentioned success in upgrading from KitKat 4.4.2 to anything else, so my expectations are minimal. I also have one of these MediaTek T906 - 10" tablets; and as you have asked for a bit more information which I offer; model number MediaTek T906 version v1.1 /// android version 8.1 (a monster fib') 4.4.2 keeps appearing implying strongly that it's KitKat 4.4.2 /// custom-built version T906_D3_31 pin /// I bought it in 2019 for use as a larger monitor for my camera work in the studio; it does that work well, but I would like to start using it as a Kindle which involves downloading an app' however I note the comments made by numbers of people on this thread that KitKat 4.2.2 firmware does not support most modern apps and is spoken of as being "probably impossible to upgrade to any later operating system". If I hear from you; wonderful; if I don't this remains a very engaging blog... An expert stating clearly that something cannot be upgraded/fixed is still a very real contribution thank you.......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones