• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Completely dead Droid X

jimithng23

Lurker
Jun 24, 2010
"Invalid Battery" Please insert a valid Motorola battery.

Has anyone else seen this or have this issue?

When using the home charger, the device will power on and I can go about my business as usual, including data and wifi but the battery indicator displays a "?" instead of showing a charging battery.

I left the device plugged in to the wall charger all night and the battery took zero charge. If I unplug the charger the device immediately dies and will not power on.

I've tried:

-removing the battery for a few minutes, replacing the battery, powering on - nothing
-removing the battery for a few minutes, removing the SD card, replacing the battery, powering on - nothing
-removing the battery for a few minutes, removing the SD card, replacing both the battery and the SD card, powering on - nothing
-tried all of these using the wall charger as well, then disconnecting the charger, dead.

I called VZW tech support, they escalated me to a "Level 2" Tech dude, he tried to have me do a factory reset. The device won't allow a factory reset if the battery level is below 25% so that didn't work. We then tried holding the power button and the home button for a Master Reset, both with and without the wall charger - nothing. He then told me to go to the store I bought it at and exchange for a new one...unfortunately we all know there is zero stock on the X right now so I'd have to *pay* for my new one while I wait for it to arrive, then they *refund* the $ back to me. I really, really, really do not want to go through this process...

Does anyone, anyone...have any ideas for me?

@Doit2it - I tried the stock wall charger, a car charger, and another wall charger I have at home...all do the exact same thing.

Also, I just removed the battery and SD card again, connected the wall charger, and powered the device on. I still received the same "Invalid Battery" message even though there was no battery installed. This leads me to believe the device is defective, not the battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones