• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Completely freaked out after reading this forum

TXBamanut

Aug 15, 2010
THOUGHT I'd done research on the phone...finally broke down and bought one from wirefly yesterday for $49...NOW, after finding this forum and reading on these forums, feel like I made an INCREDIBLE mistake.

Cruised by the Droid X forum and it's all about what the best app is for, where you are guys from type stuff, but THIS forum is all "what the crap am I gonna do with this stupid phone"

Am I reading this wrong? BEcause I can still cancel my order.

I'll spare you knowledge of my current captivate ownership status, but I personally would cancel the order and wait for working GPS (evidenced by "fast" lock times and steady MyTracks-type movement tracking) and Froyo.. Every little problem is magnified many-fold when you're nearing your return deadline, especially since you're the type to research aka regret.

Upvote 0
After three exchanges, I'm probably going to stick with the little aria and wait for at&t to come out with a better android phone (preferably made by htc or moto). The cappy is a beautiful phone, and the screen is absolutely to die for, but the phones I used just did not effing work, in any one of half-dozen different ways.

some of those could be worked with, like the GPS problem, but others, like god-awful wireless connectivity (not lack of bars, but lack of actual connectivity) were just impossible. For whatever it lacks, the aria simply works, and I'll save my dollars for a better phone. JMO.

Upvote 0
I agree, go ahead and play with it for a few weeks and see if you like it. Maybe by that time we will have more definitive dates for the firmware and froyo updates.

I came over from the iPhone camp. So the first week with this thing was rough. I was so used to the iPhone/iTunes system that it took some time to adjust. Now that I have, I really like this phone and the android system.

Yea, there has been some wide, random issues that people have been having, but honestly, considering how many phones that are out there now the ratio of problems to not is low. But unfortunately, people don't often come here and post when nothing is wrong... instend they come here and post when they seem to be having issues or questions. Yea, the agps issue is unfortunate and widespread, but atleast Samsung has come out and addressed the issue and promissed a fix in a few weeks.

All that said, give it a week or so and see what you think. If you don't like it, or have too many problems return it. But unless you get a defective unit, I think you will find that you like it.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't freak out. I think it's a combination of the phone itself showing a lot of promise (and having a few bugs still to be worked out) and being an AT&T product (whose customers tend to be a jaded lot). I personally love the phone, but i also rarely use GPS (which seems to be the biggest complaint). Honestly, my "issues" with the phone are pre-loaded bloatware and lack of accessories. Already fixed the first issue.

It's a great phone. You'll probably love it.

Upvote 0
Great big DITTO. This forum does have a lot of squeaky wheels, but IMO, the Galaxy S phones are the best choice on the market today. If HTC had something like the Evo with the form factor of the Captivate, I might reconsider that, but the SAMOLED screen would be hard to give up.

Give it a whirl. You got an awesome price. I think you will be happy with it.

Upvote 0
I've only had my Captivate for a few days now, got it last week.
Rooted it the first day to remove the AT&T stuff, and to side load a few apps that I wanted (OliveTree beta) that wasn't on the market yet.

Only "problems" I've had are
1) No GPS Inside (but when I'm Inside, I already know where I am so it's not an issue for me)
2) Contact Management (Google contacts / multiple Google accounts) and sorting them by category (But this might be a user issue with PBKAC)

Other than that I'm loving it, My calls are clear, no dropped calls, Audio with the headphones is great, easy to read text on screen, video / photos look good, playback of Movies without issue. Overall quite happy with my phone & plan on keeping it for quite a few years.

Upvote 0
THOUGHT I'd done research on the phone...finally broke down and bought one from wirefly yesterday for $49...NOW, after finding this forum and reading on these forums, feel like I made an INCREDIBLE mistake.

Cruised by the Droid X forum and it's all about what the best app is for, where you are guys from type stuff, but THIS forum is all "what the crap am I gonna do with this stupid phone"

Am I reading this wrong? BEcause I can still cancel my order.

I think the biggest reason that these forums have more of that, is because there are a TON of people currently with Captivates that are coming from iPhones. Whereas most Droid X users are coming from other Android phones. I am coming from an iPhone 4 and it was a very tough decision, but I am now completely satisfied with my Captivate and love this phone.

I hate the way the droid X looks...it's clunky and the buttons look horrible at the bottom. The captivate is the perfect size and phone for me.

-On a side note. I've been able to fix the GPS issue through settings changes, and this has been part of why I haven't had a poor experience.

Upvote 0
Well, I appreciate all the opinions from current users. I'm kind of stuck now, but the GPS thing was something I was looking forward to.

Incidentally, I just ran over to the AT&T store at lunch. Asked the rep about the GPS issue, and got the official line of "I haven't heard anything personally or through the office about it and we usually get a memo when there is a problem with the workaround." Felt they were being honest, but oblivious...

Hit the "my location" or the variant on the GPS of 10 phones in the store (2 of which were the only two captivates in the store...one was the crappy Sharp FX)...ALL the phones had the location in less than a minute (Sharp FX took the longest), EXCEPT the Captivate, which NEVER got it...couldn't even see one satellite (0/0).

This will be my first smartphone and I reallly did get a really good price at $49 (bought one for me and the wife--more frustrated for her than me...I can work around it)

Anyway, with wirefly (where I bought it), I'd probably get stuck without my phone for a while if I returned it, so I'll have to wait and see and cross my fingers...dangit. I've been with Verizon for 9 years and just couldn't see the sense of paying $40-$50 more a month for our family plan for smartphones when AT&T was so much cheaper (combination of having most of the extended family/work people/etc. on AT&T letting us go to the lower minute plan and more reasonable data plan rates). Was extremely enamored with the Droid X, but was trying to be good with the money, you know. Dangit...hope I'm not frustrated for the next two years.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I really love my phone and the only thing that I wish the captivate had is due to my personal taste re: the haptic feedback -- I REALLY like HTC's haptic feedback, which almost feels to me like I'm pressing a button ... it just has this deep thump to it. Whereas the Captivate has the typical haptic you find in most phones (just a vibration/buzz).

That's probably the only thing I like more about the Aria (which isn't even in the same class of phones to begin with ... it's positioned as a midrange/mainstream whereas all Galaxy S phones are high-end/premium)

Also my GPS works fine (lock within 20 seconds of cold start usually) <_<

Upvote 0
Well, I think it makes sense that there are more "Crappy Cappy" threads than "I just love my Cappy" threads, since well, who'd really want to read the latter. My point is that this is just a forum full of people posting complaints as you would see on each phone's forum and don't take that into consideration that everyone in the world is having the same problem. Sort of like Antennae problem with the iPhone. In reality, less than 40 percent have the problem, but it's not like everyone with a phone is going to stand out and report that their phone picks up reception. That's really not interesting as "The Flawless, Revolutionary Apple ****ed up with their iPhone." Just trial it, do try out one or two exchanges, then make your decision.

Upvote 0
Now I've only had this phone for a few days so my input might not be as strong as others, but from my experience so far, the gps on my captivate has been running smoothly. it locks on and does it fairly quick. I think the longest was around 20 seconds or so with accuracy being 5-10 meters. This is indoors too with wifi off as well as on. Navi works spot on as well. Only time it didn't work was when I was driving through a deadzone area out in the middle of nowhere.

Coming from an iphone 3g I can say I love the freedom. I love not having to use itunes anymore. I always felt that software was such a burden to work with. Now I can just hook up phone to my laptop, open up mass storage and drop files in a folder and bam, got my music and videos playing. I can create and play my own customized ring tones too without problems.

I don't want to forget the basics: it feels great in my hand, the phone quality is great with no drop calls. Browsing speeds are incredibly fast (at least compared to my iphone 3g), and the super amoled is very nice to look at! True multi-tasking as well!

My cons:
1.) Can't get my university email set up. If anyone knows how to do this that would save me a trip to the university tech guys.
2.) Can't sync my facebook pics to my contacts. If anyone knows how to do this without getting error messages, it would also be greatly appreciated.
3.) the battery itself seems to be doing okay. What I am really having a problem with is how damn long it takes to charge the phone! Is anyone else experiencing long recharge times? I feel like it takes almost an hour just to charge 10% on this phone (just a guess, i haven't really timed it yet).
4.) The world clock sucks. Is there anyway to type in a specific city and not have to use a preloaded city in that same time zone?

There might be more things that show up with time that I like or don't like about this phone but at this point, I'm very happy I made the switch. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones