• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root *COMPLETELY* lost!!

April_Fool_79

Nov 28, 2009
Lynn Haven, FL
OK, so I followed the steps (between the "Rooting for Dummies" post here and the Titanium Backup website) to backup my info and then flash WarmTwoPointTwo onto my phone to replace CyanogenMod 6.0. Flash went fine, but when I run the restore through TB, it says it completes successfully, but nothing is back on my phone! I'm so completely confused now. I'm restoring the backup that I made before I flashed over for the time being, but if someone could give me an idiot level, step by step, press this, select that walkthrough (or point me to one), I'd much appreciate it. Everything I can find starts at what looks like it should be step 3 or 4, I need something from the very beginning, assuming the only thing I've done is plug my phone into the computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure I'm doing something stupid small wrong, but I have no idea what.

In Titanium, tap 'Backup/Restore' at top center, then tap 'Click to edit filters' at the right. If there is a name there, you are restricting to only the app(s) that meet your filter criteria. Tap 'Clear', then 'Apply', and they will all show up in the list.

As for your screens, if you use Launcher Pro, you can restore a nandroid back to your old ROM, back up your screens from LP menus, reflash your new ROM, restore your apps, then restore your screens with LP (widgets will not restore).

Upvote 0
From my understanding Titanium back up won't back up your actual data like your phone calls, messages, and etc. I use my back up pro (i actually use both TB and back up pro). Its worth it. I can flash a rom use back up pro to restore both data and apps and go back to exactly the way i had it, home screens and all. Then i create a nandroid and switch back and forth between each rom with no issues.

Upvote 0
From my understanding Titanium back up won't back up your actual data like your phone calls, messages, and etc. I use my back up pro (i actually use both TB and back up pro). Its worth it. I can flash a rom use back up pro to restore both data and apps and go back to exactly the way i had it, home screens and all. Then i create a nandroid and switch back and forth between each rom with no issues.

Titanium does backup your data such as calls, messages, etc. It's under system data I believe, but I've restored a couple times from Titanium and gotten all my junk back.

Reactions: ExSaint
Upvote 0
@ Uminchu: Nope, nothing in the filters box, and all the radio buttons are set to "All".

@ ExSaint: What steps exactly are you following? I'm not concerned with the call logs or messages, I have WaveSecure to back those up. I'm just wanting my apps data and settings saved so that I don't have to do it all over again. Is all that info compatible between ROMs? If not, what happens with the stuff that isn't compatible (like I'd assume 4G settings if I go from a Sense ROM to a non-Sense ROM)?

I'm sorry if these seem like silly questions, but most of the stuff I can find sounds like it was written for people that already know the basic stuff, and I have a feeling I'm missing a lot of that information and knowledge. I'm much better at learning things if I have someone to watch do them, rather than trying to figure it out from written steps, but since I don't know anyone around here (that I would trust, anyway) to set up the phone and show me how to do all this, getting precise step by step instructions is the best thing I can come up with.

Upvote 0
@ Uminchu: Nope, nothing in the filters box, and all the radio buttons are set to "All".

@ ExSaint: What steps exactly are you following? I'm not concerned with the call logs or messages, I have WaveSecure to back those up. I'm just wanting my apps data and settings saved so that I don't have to do it all over again. Is all that info compatible between ROMs? If not, what happens with the stuff that isn't compatible (like I'd assume 4G settings if I go from a Sense ROM to a non-Sense ROM)?

I'm sorry if these seem like silly questions, but most of the stuff I can find sounds like it was written for people that already know the basic stuff, and I have a feeling I'm missing a lot of that information and knowledge. I'm much better at learning things if I have someone to watch do them, rather than trying to figure it out from written steps, but since I don't know anyone around here (that I would trust, anyway) to set up the phone and show me how to do all this, getting precise step by step instructions is the best thing I can come up with.
Your questions aren't silly, we've all been there (in fact I'm 'there' all over again with issues of my own).

Another way to use Titanium is to go into the menu and select Batch. You'll get a lengthy list of brute force options. One or more of them may accomplish what you're trying to do, although it may involve reverting back to a previous nand to redo the backups you want, then reflashing and restoring them to your new ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones