• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Completely Rooting Noob here w/ DInc 2.3.4!...

imp81318

Jan 6, 2012
Hey all, as the title indicates I'm a complete noob. I decided to try rooting my Incredible now because I'm eligible for an upgrade so I figured I FUBAR it, I'll just get a new phone - no harm, no foul. I am feeling completely lost here, which is why I figured I'd make this thread rather than posting a bunch of questions in a specific thread like http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/427344-2-3-4-root-downgrade-s-off.html. I tried to root last night using unRevoked, but as I learned quickly it doesn't work with 2.3.4 apparently. I've been trying to read through threads and learn, but my knowledge level is so severly lacking I get lost quickly.

What do S-off and S-on mean? I see everyone, including "noobs", referring to these as if they're just common sense terms???

In the thread linked above there are steps listed to root the phone, and then there are additional steps given to back down to 2.2 OS (Froyo I believe?): Why do you need to downgrade? Is this step necessary for running a custom ROM?

My wife & I use only MACs at home. Work computer is a PC, but I have limited rights on it and most sites related to rooting are blocked (go figure...). I saw the link to download the older version of unrevoked for MAC- should the process using that version of software be basically the same if I had 2.2 instead of 2.3.4 and was using current version of unrevoked? I.e. is rooting 2.3.4 as simple as just getting the correct version of the unrevoked software and 1-click process like it would be if I was running 2.2 on my phone?

And again, keep in mind that I'm a total noob. I've only figured out what 'flashing' and a few of the other terms mean by talking to a coworker who is rooted.

Now on to my main reason for wanting to root my phone: Since a month or two after I got it, I've had continuously intermittent problems with the screen/power button- sometimes the screen will shut off on me in the middle of using it, sometimes the power down selection box will randomly pop up on it, sometimes it will be sitting idle and the screen will turn on to the lock screen for no reason, sometimes the buttons will just light up randomly (or not be lit at all while I'm using them)... Just really quirky behavior. This is my 2nd Dinc (refurbed) after they replaced my 1st one for the same problems. These issues as well as the fact that the only way for tech support to solve any problems or answer any questions is to do a FDR are really infuriating to me and are making me seriously consider jumping ship to iPhone. Everyone I know with a Droid has had some kind of similar problems and complaints...

So, can anyone help me out here? Is rooting and running a ROM even a reasonable thing to try to fix my problems? Am I an idiot? Thanks!

Thanks for pointing me toward that thread! I had initially glossed over it because they weren't running 2.3.4 and they weren't using a MAC, but after reading it I really did feel a bit more comfortable with some of the terminology... Huge thanks man! I am not rooted, and in the process of creating a backup. Hopefully I'll be downgrading, obtaining S-off, and flashing a rom later today...

Upvote 0
think of s-on / s-off as a security check the phone does. it has certain parts locked down (secured)... this is s-on. if you want to root your phone and gain access to all parts of it you should set s-off (security off). it also checks software you want to try to install - say you root and want to install a new firmware or recovery... you need s-off.

the thread you linked gives you step by step instructions for you...
http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/427344-2-3-4-root-downgrade-s-off.html
you cannot root with 2.3.4... you must downgrade to 2.2 first... read that thread. follow it to the letter. if you read threads with people asking for help you'll see that most times they skipped a step from the instructions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones