• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Complex chain of events - good understanding needed. Is my phone correctly s-off,

l1ndon

Apr 11, 2012
Hi- I was looking for some guidance about the state of my phone.

My question is did I do something wrong along the way that is preventing me from changing partition size, and stopping wifi working correctly (due to kernels?)

So heres the state

I recently had my phone repaired (new mainboard) so it was back to
unrooted
s-on
.93.0001 hboot

I unlocked it using unrevoked 3.31 (after failing with 3.32)

I tried s-offing using Revolutionary, but received errors both times saying unsuccessful, however it now says s-off and when I try again it says it is s-offed so wont proceed any further

(I'm not sure if I managed to correctly install the modified windows htc drivers for revolutionary, I tried, and it executed but nothing happened after that)

I then tried to install alpharev CM7/r2 hboot via Fastboot commander, and got stuck in bootloop. Fixed by re-installng Bravo stock hboot, and restoring my Nandroid backup

I then tried to install RSK 7.2 Rom (My SD card was already formatted with ext4 from running v6 previously) but it just hung at Rom start up screen (for 20 mins), rebooted then 100's of FC's.

Went back to original Rom, installed 4ext then repaired the linux partition on sd card.

Now I can install whatever Rom I want almost sucessfully - BUT cant change to CM7/r2 partition (or I get bootloop) and the Wifi never works in the rom - (just gets stuck obtaining IP), unless I restore my stock Nandroid backup and it works fine.

If you can understand all that... thanks

I think it will be more helpful if you give us your current hboot instead of the original hboot. As far as I know, some ROMs only work with certain hboot, so if you get bootloop with a new hboot, most likely it is because of an incompatible ROM. People usually update hboot first, then flash a new ROM.
Moreover, this is probably a personal choice, but most people I know recommend putting a zip file in the sd card to change hboot rather than adb, but it probably does not make much of a difference. Btw, when you partition your SD card, have you made sure that the first partition is FAT32 and the second one is Ext4 (it must be less than 2GB)? If I am not wrong, are you trying to use data2SD on your Desire?

Reactions: l1ndon and Hadron
Upvote 0
Current:

Bravo pvt1 Ship s-off
Hboot - 6.93.1002

Partition is as you said (1.5gb though) it was partitioned already from previous ROM - I did it through 4ext

(I thought I had done hboot before the ROM?)

Looks like you're S-off, it does say Revolutionary above that? Try fastboot direct from Windows cmd prompt - see the adb/fastboot guide in all things root sticky (can ignore the adb for now). Once the SDK setup, phone in fastboot connect usb, type "fastboot devices" at cmd prompt (without quotes). If it returns serial no of phone then i'd re-download cmr2, check md5, and fastboot flash it.

Other way would be to copy PB99 zip onto root of SD card and install through bootloader - make sure the filename is exact it case sensitive.

Reactions: l1ndon
Upvote 0
Im not familiar with what you advised (SDK etc) so just reading about it

Also, maybe I already had the modified windows hboot drivers installed for some reason
and according to what I read (by SUroot), you can use unrevoked 3.31 to do 2.2.2

I think maybe it changed from saying REvolutionary toAlpharev when I flashed the Bravo stock patched hboot

Upvote 0
I think that huy_lonewolf's post is the answer to your bootloop problem.

If the ROM has a system larger than 145MB it won't fit in the CM7r2 hboot. So if you are running a stock ROM, you will get a bootloop if you flash CM7r2 correctly. You need to either install a smaller ROM before changing hboot, or change hboot, then boot into recovery, wipe everything (system, data, cache) and install the smaller ROM. You always need to check compatibility (i.e. /system size) before flashing ROMs with different hboots.

Where I disagree slightly is how to flash hboot: I prefer to use fastboot commands from the computer (directly, not via some program like fastboot commander or android flasher), though the PB99IMG method does in my experience work fine.

Reactions: l1ndon
Upvote 0
I was thinking along similar lines, and was going to flash the CM7 after I had installed the RSK Rom (which works with it), but couldnt get the wifi working.

Would you say that in all likely hood, the problem with the wifi not working is unrelated to the problems I had s-offing? Maybe just a kernel that my phone doesnt like for some reason

thanks for all the help guys

Upvote 0
The WiFi is trickier as there are more things it could be. If you restored WiFi settings from a backup then try clearing them and re-entering by hand. Or it could be something with that particular ROM (one I've not used).

I doubt the WiFi problem is related to S-Off. That replaced your hboot but doesn't change the actual android software at all, and the problem is with a ROM that wasn't even on the phone when you ran revolutionary.

Upvote 0
Thanks again guys, I figured out what you were saying Saltire, another way to flash an HBoot...also read the stuff

I think I need to try a few more things and then report back my findings...

I'll see if I can get WIFI working with different Rom/kernel combinations, and then once thats fixed try and flash the CM7R2 (with an appropriate Rom for that partition)

Lindon

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones