• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Comprehensive Emulator Guide

The links for the psp emus dev site are above. He lists out which games are bootable.

He also notes not all formats are supported yet.

However as far as PSP emulation is concerned this is an impressove feat doubly so cause he released the Android and PC versions at the same time !

This man deserves donations.

The next year is going to be an amazing year for Android emulation:

The below all stand to occur :

1. Psp
2.Nds
3. Dreamcast
4. Grim fandango
5. Mame 32 speed increases
6. More Saturn optimizations
7. More n64 optimizations

Upvote 0
I would like to see a Vectrex emu with full support. There is an app with all roms releasing on iOS by end of year. Preview so far indicates it rocks. Will be a purchase for me and iPad 3.

I use an iCade with the TF300 as a mini arcade cabinet. MAME Overloaded works fantastic with it, so speed updates will be nice.

Upvote 0
I would like to see a Vectrex emu with full support. There is an app with all roms releasing on iOS by end of year. Preview so far indicates it rocks. Will be a purchase for me and iPad 3.

I use an iCade with the TF300 as a mini arcade cabinet. MAME Overloaded works fantastic with it, so speed updates will be nice.

Why not ask the dev making the IOS version if he plans to do an Android port ?

Upvote 0
With the powers of for example, the Note 2, is there a fully working Nintendo DS emulator yet?

Not currently but we are getting close.

There are at least 3 respectable devs working on NDs emulators for Android. I think when the new Arm 15 cores come out in phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 then we should expect some real impacts.

On another note the MAMe4droid dev has stated that he is planning a big update to MAME4droid Reloaded when Arm15 phones/tablets become mainstream. He believes it should make almost all high end arcade games (talking PS2 & Dreamcast era) run 3-4x as fast :)

Upvote 0
Some games work on it differently than tigers though and he has a different control scheme. That might be something you could consider adding into your write up, the controllers that are currently available to make playing emulators a bit better.

I am not a fan of most bt Controllers unless u can attach them and never have to remove them...

Mainly been going for which emulators get u the best compatiability but with a preference tied to devs who are not copying others and produce multiple emulators

That said the list is indeed of an update...I have been working 80 hours a week ...

Upvote 0
Fpse and myboy are best IMO or GBA.emu

Thank you for swift reply.

How about current situation with NES, SNES, Megadrive, GBC and N64 emulators?

I assume for SNES its SuperGNES , maybe Animaonline SNES Emulator

For NES obviously NES.emu (as mentioned in first post)

For Megadrive still MD.emu

And for N64 either Mupen64Plus AE or MegaN64 (Money isnt object here, I am mainly looking for quality)

And as last for GBC - Gameboy Color A.D. or GBC.emu

Sorry to ask so many questions at once, I just want to be sure to get the best before making purchase.

Upvote 0
Thank you for swift reply.

How about current situation with NES, SNES, Megadrive, GBC and N64 emulators?

I assume for SNES its SuperGNES , maybe Animaonline SNES Emulator

For NES obviously NES.emu (as mentioned in first post)

For Megadrive still MD.emu

And for N64 either Mupen64Plus AE or MegaN64 (Money isnt object here, I am mainly looking for quality)

And as last for GBC - Gameboy Color A.D. or GBC.emu

Sorry to ask so many questions at once, I just want to be sure to get the best before making purchase.

I prefer snes9x ex by Robert brogila aka explusalpha

Animaonline is a rip off copy of Yongzh

Explusalpha best for md (Sega cd ) but retroarch actually plays more Sega cd games

The rest all explusalpha

As for n64...

Nothing beats N64oid...to this day it has the best comparability and speed.

Get n64oid from slideme

I also have mupen64 but n64oid is best

Upvote 0
I prefer snes9x ex by Robert brogila aka explusalpha

Animaonline is a rip off copy of Yongzh

Explusalpha best for md (Sega cd ) but retroarch actually plays more Sega cd games

The rest all explusalpha

As for n64...

Nothing beats N64oid...to this day it has the best comparability and speed.

Get n64oid from slideme

I also have mupen64 but n64oid is best

Thank you for help. Two last questions and I am done (and thank you so much for being so patient and kind), the Snes9x EX+ on Android store is the same version found on the webpage of Robert Brogila right? And is the + version best for Nexus 7?

Upvote 0
Thank you for help. Two last questions and I am done (and thank you so much for being so patient and kind), the Snes9x EX+ on Android store is the same version found on the webpage of Robert Brogila right? And is the + version best for Nexus 7?

Yes same but its free so u should go withe Google play

All around I prefer sned9x ex

Upvote 0
For kicks, I have been testing a bunch of resource heavy MAME games with the same 139.1 emulator that is on Android and iOS. Tested with my VZW GS3, Excite 7.7, TF300, iPod 5 and iPad 4.

To my surprise, the iPad 4 with A6X in spite of a super high res display performs much better than the other devices. I expected the Tegra 3 with lower res display to perform better, but it did not. It was about the same as the iPod 5 which has the older A5X chip.

I had all the Android devices in performance mode when tested. I would like to test one the newer chipset quad core tablets to see how they perform compared to the iPad. Must admit the iPad with iCade is a sweet combination. I use the TF300 with the iCade too, but the MAME performance on the iPad makes it the better combo.

Tested MAMEReloaded and Gridlee. Of course, the positive for Android is no need to jailbreak to get emus working. I got Gridlee before Apple pulled it from iTunes.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm looking to purchase an android. I'd like to play NES, SNES, Sega, N64 and PS1 games. Just wondering what the best tablet is for me to purchase? All I want the tablet for is playing those emulators, don't really care about any of the other functions. Also need to be able to use a PS3 controller on it. If somebody couldn't give me some insight on what to purchase, I'd really appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm looking to purchase an android. I'd like to play NES, SNES, Sega, N64 and PS1 games. Just wondering what the best tablet is for me to purchase? All I want the tablet for is playing those emulators, don't really care about any of the other functions. Also need to be able to use a PS3 controller on it. If somebody couldn't give me some insight on what to purchase, I'd really appreciate it!

well that depends, do you want a 7 inch or 10 inch tablet?

Nexus 7 or 10 should do you fine for either. you can pair a PS3 via Bluetooth with an app from the play store, and both are pretty well priced for what you get, (decent storage/screen/etc).

I personally have a transformer prime I use, which is nice as the dock has a USB port so I don't have to faf about pairing the controller, just plug and go.
Plus the Tegra processor (that the nexus 7 also has) means I get Tegra optimized games, including remakes of PS2 stuff (GTA3/Vice city/Bards tale etc).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones